Anonymous
Years ago

Standard of the NBA?

I think the standard and quality of the NBA has decreased in recent years to the point I'm starting to lose interest in it.

I can't ever remember there being so many rookies in the NBA which I think goes to my point. It used to be some teams would have 2 maybe 3 rookies but some teams now have 5 and even 6 rookies on their rosters.

Going by the end of season rosters these are all the rookies currently in the NBA.

Hawks:

John Jenkins
Mike Scott

Celtics:

Fab Melo
Jared Sullinger

Nets:

Kris Joseph
Tornike Shengelia
Tyshawn Taylor
Mirza Teletovic

Bobcats:

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Jeffery Taylor

Bulls:

Marquis Teague

Cavs:

Kevin Jones
Dion Waiters
Tyler Zeller

Mavs:

Josh Akognon
Jae Crowder
Jared Cunningham
Bernard James

Nuggets:

Evan Fournier
Quincy Miller

Pistons:

Andre Drummond
Kim English
Viacheslav Kravtsov
Khris Middleton
Kyle Singler

Warriors:

Harrison Barnes
Kent Bazemore
Festus Ezeli
Draymond Green
Scott Machado

Rockets:

Patrick Beverley
Terrence Jones
Donatas Motiejunas
Tim Ohlbrecht
Thomas Robinson
Royce White

Pacers:

Ben Hansbrough
Orlando Johnson
Miles Plumlee

Clippers:

Maalik Wayns

Lakers:

Robert Sacre

Grizzlies:

Willie Reed
Tony Wroten

Heat:

Jarvis Varnardo

Bucks:

John Henson

Wolves:

Alexey Shved

Hornets:

Anthony Davis
Darius Miller
Austin Rivers
Brian Roberts

Knicks:

Chris Copeland
Pablo Prigioni

Thunder:

Perry Jones
Jeremy Lamb

Magic:

Maurice Harkless
DeQuan Jones
Doron Lamb
Andrew Nicholson
Kyle O'Quinn

76ers:

Justin Holiday
Arnett Moultrie

Suns:

Diante Garrett
Kendall Marshall

Blazers:

Will Barton
Victor Claver
Joel Freeland
Meyers Leonard
Damian Lillard

Kings:

None

Spurs:

Aron Baynes
Nando De Colo

Raptors:

Quincy Acy
Terrence Ross
Jonas Valanciunas

Jazz:

Kevin Murphy

Wizards:

Bradley Beal

Obviously rookies are a lot cheaper and with the GFC some leagues around the world like the NBA are scaling back (look at the decimation of our own NBL) but is there anything more to it?

Topic #31980 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The number of rookies has more with the last collective bargaining agreement, and the disincentives to spend over the cap; players on rookie contracts are cheap, expect fewer minutes than primed veterans, have more potential for improvement, more favorable contracts due to non-garunteed salaries and team options etc etc.

The quality may be worse but the leagues primary concern is maintaining the 'entertainment' aspect of their product, which is a slightly different issue, and thus the style of play will continue to change over time. This may be what you're noticing, if not diminishing "quality" - hard to tell.

Reply #424413 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

theres just as many superstars in the league as there have ever been though. League is in good hands.

Reply #424418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there has been much of a decline. The major negative for me has been the 'super teams' taking all the top players leaving the bottom of the league very weak.

Reply #424420 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Some really heavy luxury tax rates come in next season. Teams have already built their rosters based on them:

Teams will pay $3.25 for every dollar over (if $15-$20m over the cap).

I hope Micky has deep pockets for next season.

Reply #424423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are retards

Reply #424432 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Disagree with the thread, Miami have won back to back based on picking up two genuine quality players from other teams recently.

All NBA teams must continue to develop younger players.

College system and Euro league in particular are becomming stronger, producing quality rookies.

Hard to win an NBA title, as it should be.

Competition is as tough and tight and exciting as ever...

Anon, if you have lost interest maybe it is because your team isn't winning, but I for one don't agree with your proposal!

Reply #424441 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the standard and quality of the NBA has decreased in recent years to the point I'm starting to lose interest in it.

A comment like that is beyond belief after the finals series we've just had. It sounds like you didn't see much of the finals if you think the quality of the NBA has decreased? You should get your hands on a copy of games 6 and 7 (actually, if you've got time watch all 7 seven games) and see if that doesn't get you fired up for next season!

Reply #424451 | Report this post

The Cheese  
Years ago

I second that Billo. Also the Heat v Pacers series was quality.

Reply #424453 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

There's a reason why the 90s is looked back on as the best the NBA has ever been, because it is. The huge rule changes have destroyed the league. Thanks David Stern.

Reply #424457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this season was the best in a while. Does appear to be the same contenders each year but you will get an emerging team like pacers coming through. Its not magic/mj/larry but lebron/kobe/durant era is fairly good

Reply #424458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, if you have lost interest maybe it is because your team isn't winning, but I for one don't agree with your proposal!

I don't have an NBA team just been following the NBA since '91.

Reply #424471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A comment like that is beyond belief after the finals series we've just had. It sounds like you didn't see much of the finals if you think the quality of the NBA has decreased? You should get your hands on a copy of games 6 and 7 (actually, if you've got time watch all 7 seven games) and see if that doesn't get you fired up for next season!

Okay, I'm in the process of downloading Game 7 so have only seen Game 1 from this Finals series.

I'm a bit too old now to be 'fired up' by anything NBA related, seen it all before.

Reply #424472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the anon who said "you guys are retards" I suggest you get a dictionary before you make silly comments

Reply #424484 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Best season for quite some time in my opinion. The GSW and SAS series was fun to watch also.

Reply #424497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be my only gripe with NBA that some teams clearly don't care about salary cap or luxury tax. Not going to see teams like Minnesota, Sacramento or or Milwaukee contend for a championship anytime soon

Reply #424512 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

The NBA is total trash these days. The best Euroleague teams are better than the Heat.

Reply #424548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754