hoopie
Years ago

Combined Australasian men's team?

Having watched the two Boomers games, it made me wonder which Tall Blacks would be better than Boomers.

I'd love to fit Webster, Penney and Vukona in somewhere. Webster ahead of Gibson? Penney ahead of Barlow? Vukona ahead of ?? Is Abercrombie over-rated?

What do you think?

Topic #32429 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Once we are at full strengh we take Penny...and maybe Adams in a few years if he continues to develop.

Reply #432994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vukona ahead of petrie

Reply #432999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mills/Dellavedova
Penney/Abercrombie
Ingles/Newley
Vukona/Andersen
Bogut/Baynes

Reply #433004 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

for me.

Mills/Dellavadova
Penney/Webster
Ingles/Newley
Vukona/Anderson
Bogut/Adams

with Baynes and Abercrombie just missing out "last cut".

Reply #433007 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

For me, Vukona beats Newley. He'd give us a bit more mongrel at SF which Newley and Ingles don't give us, and could guard PFs better.

I like the look of
Delly/Webster
Mills/Penney/Exum
Ingles/Vukona/Simmons
Baynes/Andersen
Bogut/Jawai

Reply #433011 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

hoopie: Baynes and Andersen are not PF's and definitely not mobile enough to play this at International level.

Baynes is better that Adams at this point in time.

I would stick with the team Isaac selected.

Reply #433016 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

how would vukona go in a european league or nba? Too undersized for the 4, not athletic enough for the 3?

Reply #433021 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Baynes is better that Adams at this point in time."

based on? opinion?

Reply #433022 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Probably based on Baynes being a five-year pro, who was dominant in Euroleague play, and who has Olympic and World Championship experience under his belt, compared to Adams who is coming off his freshman year, which really wasn't all that impressive.

Reply #433023 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I disagree on Baynes not being a PF @LC, he can play the 4 behind the likes of a Bogut or Jawai for instance, no problems for me at all as he moves better than you may think...

He is so strong that he can play a 5, but at 6' 10" he is absolutely a lock for the 4 spot if the Aussie coach wants to go that way, IMHO!

A big power forward who can defend the 5 spot, gotta love that combination.

The only thing other international 4's may have on him at this time is a longer range, but he can improve his mid range game if he needs to. With a slightly longer range on his shot it changes everything I believe...

Reply #433024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a New Zealander I have to agree with LC. Baynes right now has a more polished game. In as little as two years this could change but right now Baynes is better than Adams.

Reply #433025 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

LC, I agree about Baynes & Andersen but I wasn't convinced we had any really strong PFs anyway.

I also don't like putting Patty at PG, or Vukona at PF.

I know Abercrombie plays Swingman for the Breakers, but I'm not convinced about his ball-carrying skills to play SG in internationals.

Reply #433027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie has hit his limit.

He wasn't even in the top 4 for the TB during the latest series with the Boomers.

Reply #433031 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Probably based on Baynes being a five-year pro, who was dominant in Euroleague play, and who has Olympic and World Championship experience under his belt, compared to Adams who is coming off his freshman year, which really wasn't all that impressive."

are you just quickly comparing numbers on google from last years box scores or have you compared their play?
I could make the argument that Baynes has been pro for 5 years and has only just cemented a spot at the tail end of an NBA bench compared to Adams who only played a single season of College and was drafted as a 1st round Lottery Pick by a Title Contender.
I do tend to agree with you that Baynes as of today may be slightly better than Adams but IMO he will be better than Baynes come the WC's in Spain.
He's a very quick learner.

Reply #433032 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Abercrombie has hit his limit.

He wasn't even in the top 4 for the TB during the latest series with the Boomers."

he's short on fitness and conditioning currently and hasn't played a great deal of Basketball lately (much like Pledger) as he didn't get much court time in the NBA summer league.

Reply #433033 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Penney is the only legit NZ player right now who would make it onto a Boomers team. Vukona might get picked if the coach was looking for a player to play a particular role, ie. to bring hustle, offensive rebounding etc.

To the people picking Webster, really? Maybe if you were picking a team solely from the two playing lists in this series. In that case Webster and Vukona would probably make the team.

But on a team based on the best talent available I'd have a guard rotation of Mills, Dellavedova, Penney and Exum.

Reply #433034 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Baynes and Andersen are not PF's and definitely not mobile enough to play this at International level."

I do think Anderson could play some minutes at the 4 Internationally and create match up issues with his length and he is pretty mobile.

Reply #433035 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"To the people picking Webster, really? Maybe if you were picking a team solely from the two playing lists in this series. In that case Webster and Vukona would probably make the team. "

so you are happy to rest all your hopes on Patty's shot dropping?
Webster managed how many points with the whole Boomers squad full knowing he was the one who was going to shoot it?
The Boomers are weak at SG and are forced to play Mills who is a PG at SG and if his shot aint dropping , you aren't winning.

Reply #433036 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I'm also a big fan of Abercrombie and hopefully his timid play in this series is just a result of fitness/conditioning. But it is a little sobering to realise that Abercrombie, who still gets tagged as a guy with "potential", is actually a few months older than his direct opponent for much of this series Joe Ingles, who is many would already consider to be a seasoned pro.

Reply #433037 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Mystro: "so you are happy to rest all your hopes on Patty's shot dropping?"

that's why I picked Penney. I personally wouldn't pick a squad with Mills, Penney AND Webster

Reply #433038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie's a role player plain and simple.

People have been making fitness/conditioning excuses for him the last two and a half years in the NBL & international basketball, ever since he was named MVP of the 2011 NBL GF (FTR, averaged just 11 & 7 that series).

He's not a star, never has been, or will be and at 26 is now in the prime of his career.

Reply #433040 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I wasn't quickly comparing anything on google Mystro, just looking 'at this point in time' as the question was posed.

Adams 'might' be better than Baynes in a few years time, but 'at this point in time' I don't believe he is.

Reply #433041 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

"so you are happy to rest all your hopes on Patty's shot dropping?
Webster managed how many points with the whole Boomers squad full knowing he was the one who was going to shoot it?"

- As opposed to the Tall Blacks focusing on Patty and him delivering 20 and 21 points respectively?

"The Boomers are weak at SG and are forced to play Mills who is a PG at SG and if his shot aint dropping , you aren't winning."

But it did, and we did, twice.

Reply #433042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also think Abercrombie could've gone on to bigger things but hasn't quite.

I don't agree with whoever had Penney off the bench though the alternative is Mills as PG, Penney as a SF or Mills off the bench. After the first half in game one, Mills was great for the rest.

Penney is the only legit NZ player right now who would make it onto a Boomers team.
I don't think your "maybe" on Vukona would be emulated by Lemanis who was keen to bring him home to the Breakers. Australia currently has no player like Vukona and I think you'd pick him and play him wherever he might fit, whether undersized at PF or as a SF with little range.

Reply #433043 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Tall Blacks don't have anyone with enough footspeed to stay in front of Mills so yes he got his.
That alone unfortunately isn't going to get Australia a medal at the WC's.

Who is going to provide the offense when Mills shot isn't dropping or he doesn't have a NZNBL player defending him?
Spain, Argentina, America and a number of other nations have guards who do have the pace to defend Mills so what is Plan B if the plan is to Medal?

Your points regarding Baynes are fair.

Reply #433045 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Plan B, in terms of winning a medal at the World Cup, would involve Bogut manning the middle. I can't really see us winning a medal in Spain without Bogut.

Reply #433047 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I like Webster as a player and he appears to have markedly improved over the last year or so. But you seem to be suggesting that if Mills' shot isn't dropping, an imagined Australasian team would have to turn to Webster to pick up the slack, when Penney is already a much more accomplished and better sized SG. Also Ingles has proven himself on the world stage to be a capable scorer, even if he wasn't dominant in this series.

And if you're going to advocate for Webster because of his scoring ability, shouldn't we first consider someone like Goulding who is more proven at NBL level?

Also on the 'Mills is an undersized SG' thing, this is going against the Hoops.com.au orthodoxy here but I'm not convinced Mills couldn't be a good PG if he was given an extended chance. I seem to recall he did alright in the 9 or 10 games or so he played with the Tigers in the NBL when he was playing as the PG. The first few games he scored a lot, had a pretty high usage rate and turnover rate, but seemed to iron out his game and become a more efficient PG nearer the end of his short stint. If memory serves me correctly he was second in assists behind Cedric Jackson I think??

Reply #433048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac, what about Wortho?

Superior offensively to Vukona, inferior defensively.

Reply #433049 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'd go,

10 man roster

PG - Dellavedova/Mills
SG – Penney/Exum
SF – Ingles/Newley
PF – Vukona/Andersen
C – Bogut/Baynes

Depth Chart

PG – Dellavedova (25)/ Mills (15)
SG – Penney (25)/ Mills (15)/ Exum (DNP)
SF – Ingles (25)/ Newley (15)
PF – Vukona (20)/ Andersen (20)
C – Bogut (30)/ Baynes (10)

I think Delly has to start at the 1 with Penney in the line up. Will really help Penney get shots. Mills could be used as the spark plug off the bench, probably his best role, and sub for either Penney or Delly according to game day form.

Vukona and Andersen split minutes according to defensive match up and game day form.

Exum is just a young excitement machine who probably gets DNP just through lack of minutes in a 40 minute game.

Reply #433053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G Mills - Dellavedova
G Penney - Newley
F Ingles - Barlow/Abercrombie
F Andersen - Adams/Vukona
C Bogut - Baynes

Mills and Delly are locks to run the show.
Penney has shown his world class abilities his whole career and has even dominated in big time International tournys.
Ingles starts at the three and take your pick between Newley, Barlow and Abercrombie to play the reserve 2/3 minutes, but Newley slightly ahead.
Andersen at full fitness still holds down the stretch 4 spot but Adam is expected to become a quality NBA player so you would expect him to take over that gig in the short term. Baynes can also play the four alongside Bogut.
Vukona is no slouch and his hustle and floor play could give them a small ball look.
Bogut is a lock when (IF) healthy but Baynes could hold down the pivot easily.

Oh and with the expected development and potential of Simmons and Exum they will probably become guaranteed starters within a few seasons.

Reply #433054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, but you wouldn't have Exum and Simmons in there in a hypothetical strongest-right-now team. Agreeing with you in case that isn't clear. They're in the Boomers squad today because it's a largely meaningless series that gives Lemanis a chance to blood these players of the future.

For the anon further up - Worthington might have Vukona covered with range out to the three, but Vukona's hustle combined with speed would give Australasia something different. Heart is one thing we sometimes seem to lack. The other is reliable outside options. If Newley/Barlow could hit at a higher clip, they'd be very handy there. Same with Abercrombie in this hypothetical.

Wonder if that last game would've done anything to hurt Exum's stock? Would any teams/scouts look at his game or Simmons' with too critical an eye? Or are few minutes and that raw aspect just par for the course?

Reply #433055 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Me if I was scouting at that last game I'd wanna look more at Exum.
Simmons didn't do it for me.

Vukona played pretty good.

Reply #433058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Webster is suddenly ahead of players like Madgen? Give me a break.

Reply #433060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not, Penney & Vukona would be the only two with a legitimate chance of making the team.

Reply #433061 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Don't understand why there is even a debate about Vukona. Superb proven player at international level. Winner.
He is even better at this level than he is at NBL. Who gives a shit about his size. He is Rodman like in his effectiveness and can defend almost any position. He doesn't need to score and look at how well he helps relieve pressure when advancing the ball. IMO after Bogut, Mills and Penney he would be the next player I would pick.

There is no other player in either team who brings his unique skill set to the table.

Reply #433063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go based on 2013!
Dellavedova/Exum
Penney/Mills/Newley
Ingles/Abercrombie
Andersen/Baynes/Adams
Bogut/Jawai

Mills would be instant offence from bench
Exum would be 5th guard possibly starting in 2016
Baynes is more a 5 man but would add some muscle at 4 spot
Andersen best option at 4 until Bairstow and Motum develop
Simmons will likely take over at 3 spot in a few years

Reply #433069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona is consistently the guy "I wish was on my team".

Reply #433109 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vukona is consistently the guy "I wish was on my team".

Most NBL Coaches also

Reply #433115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut/Baynes
Vukona/Andersen/Worthington
Ingles/Abercrombie
Penney/Newley/Webster
Mills/Dellavedova

Would be great to arrange games at Vector, Hisense and Perth Arena with that team playing the USA. Woud get a great response. Yes, I know I am dreaming.

Reply #433118 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Oceania Allstars?

Reply #433119 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice idea, that would be awesome, if we could ever manage to get around the scheduling of the NBA/NBL etc... it would be a dream event for sure!

Who wouldn't want to host a tournament of sorts with the senior men/women of say Team Oceania/Australasia, Team USA, Team Europe in a tri-series like the Tri-Nations of the Rugby Union, wow I'd go see that...

Reply #433122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a few years' time:

Adams/Baynes
Simmons/Fotu/Motum
Ingles/Abercrombie
Exum/C Webster
Mills/T Webster/Dellavedova

Reply #433123 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Isaac, I don't think it would hurt the stock of the young kids playing a few minutes in a couple of games like that because any coach who hangs his/her hat on spare parts play in the Boomers team isn't worthy of their credentials as a coach IMO.

If a prospect coach (either NCAA or NBA) gets hold of highlights for the two of the young guns from this game or the first, it would just confirm their potential to the coach without drastically changing any possible decision based on only a few minutes I would think.

They both had their moments anyway, so if you were to focus on Ben's steals & fast break dunks or Dante's put back dunk/vision and ball handling skills you would be more than happy to say they are gonna be there, remembering how young they actually are of course...

Reply #433125 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Bear, if they had such an Inter-Continental Cup today, I reckon they'd finish
1. Team North America
2. Team Europe
3. Team Oceania
4. Team South America
5. Team Africa
6. Team Asia

If you went by Region instead, then I'd add 'Team Middle East and North Africa', and 'Team Central America and the Caribbean' to the bottom of the list.

I think we can forget about Team Antarctica until they get some good draft picks.

Reply #433134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Third would be a good finish. Even if Oceania merged with Asia would still finish third

Reply #433136 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Brazil and Argentina produce some pretty decent athletes so I wouldn't be so quick to right off the South Americans.

Reply #433138 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Mystro.

Team South America would have the likes of Ginobili, Scola, Delfino, Prigioni, Barbosa, Nene, Splitter, Varejao and Vasquez.

And that's just naming some of their NBA guys, let alone all the South Americans that play in Europe.

Reply #433139 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree mystro infact alot of there players are NBA or euroleague calibre. Ginobli,Barbosa,Scola,delfino,Nene to name a few

Reply #433140 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ha, Antarctica, that's quite funny actually...

Still, it would be a nice spin on the world championships and to maybe level the playing field a little you could divide Europe into East/West and the USA into North/South!

(Please don't think I am being politically incorrect here either, this is nothing to do with the Berlin Wall or Gettysburg).

Reply #433143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the americans would never bother, they're all about the nba and their usa universe ... would be great though

Reply #433144 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Are you sure anon'?

If they are serious about promoting the game and could find a sponsor (Nike perhaps), wouldn't this be exactly the type of event needed to give the game a lift in places like Australia, New Zealand especially?

Would be great for us here, really give the NBL a huge recognition boost I would think...

Yes, the yanks already have plenty of basketball exposure, so we don't play over there, we play this here or in another land (perhaps not Antarctica).

Reply #433146 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

The USA would have everything to lose, they want to preserve their no. 1 position .. but I guess they are 'north america' so they could blame the one canadian if they got beat - having said that Andrew Wiggins might be a starter on that team in years to come, can play

Reply #433151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blame Canada!

Reply #433153 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. Team North America
2. Team Europe

3. Team Oceania
4. Team South America
Those two match-ups could be quite interesting. I think South America would top Oceania more often than not. See Vart's list for a quick start to a roster.

Would a North American roster change much from the US Olympic team at its peak, given that Nash has aged? Any other brilliant Canadian or Mexican players I'm forgetting? There are a number of Canadians, but none really close to the top 10-15.

Meanwhile, Europe could assemble quite a team. If European countries can often challenge the US, could a European All-Star team beat them more than they lost?

Just picking some of the better options from Wikipedia: Batum, Beaubois, de Colo, Diaw, Gelabale, Noah, Parker, Petro, Pietrus, Kaman, Dirk, Deng (UK), Gordon, Bargnani, Belinelli, Gallinari, Kleiza, Valaciunas, Vucevic, Pekovic, Kirilenko, Shved, Dragic, Udrih, Calderon, Claver, Gasol, Gasol, Ibaka, Rubio, Jerebko, Sefolosha, Asik, Ilyasova, Turkoglu.

Is Turkey classified as within Europe for FIBA purposes? I know Istanbul is considered to straddle the border between Europe and Asia, which would imply that the majority of Turkey is in Asia.

Just mucking around:

Parker/Rubio/Dragic
Belinelli/Gordon/Kleiza
Gallinari/Deng/Kirilenko
Nowitzki/P Gasol/Ibaka
M Gasol/Noah/Asik/Pekovic

Scrawny at SG, but loaded in the frontcourt. Gasol and Noah are considered two of the best centres, Pekovic more than capable, Dirk and P Gasol are excellent PFs. Gallinari underrated. Parker is one of the best, and Rubio is pretty exciting. Lots of back-up options at PG too in Udrih, Calderon, Shved, etc.

Reply #433155 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Turkey is a member of FIBA Europe

Reply #433158 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So many options:

P Gasol/Noah/Ibaka
Kirilenko/Nowitzki
Batum/Deng/Khryapa
Navarro/McCalebb
Parker/Teodosic

Could make another super high quality team or two from Europe.

M Gasol/Pekovic
Turkoglu/Diaw/Kleiza
Fernandez/Bogdnanovic
Dragic/Gelabale
Spanoulis/Calderon/Rowland

Reply #433160 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think M Gasol and Noah are considered by many NBA fans to be in the top tier, alongside Howard and Hibbert-at-his-best, largely due to defensive abilities. P Gasol often rated a rung lower?

Office argument just now. I said Europe could beat NA, likely to be fairly even at worst. QZ says NA would win, unless LeBron sat-out, in which case Europe would get them.

Reply #433164 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pau Gasol is ahead of those guys in the international game, one of the absolute elite in that sphere.

Reply #433165 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Tier 1: Team North America then Team Europe, 30 points better than

Tier 2: Team South America then Team Oceania, 30 points better than

Tier 3: Team Africa then Team Asia

Reply #433235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754