Isaac
Years ago

Boti grades the NBL teams

The full article from Boti with rationale is here, but the grades themselves are below. He's also graded the 36ers (players and coach) here separately.

Wildcats A+
36ers A
Tigers B
Kings C-
Crocs C
Hawks B-
Taipans D
Breakers D-

Would you grade the teams at this stage of the season differently? How would you grade the players from your team?

Topic #33368 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

I would give the Breakers an F.

Reply #450194 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

BJ should get a B+/A- rating.

In terms of doing exactly what he was brought in to do, he has been better than a B IMO.

Also, Crocs deserve better than a C..much better.

With that lineup, a 4-7 record is exceptional.

Beat the 36ers, Breakers twice and thumped the Tigers.

And even in their losses they have lost by 2 points, 5 points, 7 points and 4 points.

Really competitive. I would be inclined to give them an A rating to be honest!

Reply #450205 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sydney and Shane Heal will end up with a big F if they don't make the playoffs

Reply #450206 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Breakers have been out of sorts and an F would be appropriate considering the talent they have. Similarly with Cairns. Each Cairns player on paper looks good, but the sum of the whole is worth less than the sum of the parts.

Crocs deserve a B, The Hawks have been a train wreck with injuries etc, but continue to punch above their weight so a B- is warranted considering the team's talent and challenges faced.

Sydney seem to be a bit like that bright kid that's lazy. You expect them to set the world on fire, but just seem to do enough to pass. The lazy student's adage "If you got 51%, you overstudied"

Tigers are the odd ones out. Hard to grade because some performances have been A+, others a D.

Perth rate hotter than a step-sister in a skimpy bikini after a few cruisers. Just seem to be doing all the things right and have momentum.

Reply #450208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think D is a little harsh on Cairns - probably a C

An A for the 36ers is a bit much - probably a B or B+

and maybe a C+ for the Crocs getting anything out of that lineup!

Reply #450209 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

possibly the greatest line ever written on hoops

"...hotter than a step-sister in a skimpy bikini after a few cruisers"

Reply #450211 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think the league ratings are fine, maybe a bit higher for Crocs. The Adl ratings seem a bit high, especially Cadee and Schenscher.

Reply #450213 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs' roster is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but players 1-through-9 they are as good as any team in the league.

Swap out Rusty or Vandy for Luke Nevill or Julian Kazzouh (and let the survivor of the Russ Vs Vandy gladiatorial-fight-to-the-death play back-up 5) and they are up there with Adelaide and Perth.

How is that cause for the indictment of the entire roster?

It's a big bloody gaping roster hole that throws, but it's only 1 hole. Every team East of the Murray River has MULTIPLE roster flaws. Cairns is probably the only other team that has a well-balanced roster at every position - which is why their grade is so poor in light of their on-court failures.

And before you scream "cap!": they could add a club-MVP calibre player and still be under the cap.

But I suppose that's the story with them every year...

C seems about right for me.

They are wildly inconsistent and take 1 step back for every step forward.

Reply #450214 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KB3, one of my favourites is still Scott Whitmore argument opening line:

"My brother Mr basman, lets be real, you need to put down you play station control and smell what the Scotts got cooking."

Reply #450215 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

With the Sixers players, tend to agree with most points:

BJ Anthony (B) Solid off the bench, great hustle, not really doing much wrong and getting better than career stats. Agree with the B.

Jason Cadee (B-) Tend to agree with the casual comment a bit. A B- seems a bit harse....needs to prove Uncle Boti wrong.

Mitch Creek (B) Not doing much wrong. Needs minutes, but from whom? B+

Gary Ervin (A) Definitely the glue that holds the team together and his performances have been why the Sixers are where they area. A+

Jarrid Frye (C+) Ouch! Much better than that. Must work on his FT's and general shooting. Can't complain about his hustle or defence. I'ld give him a B- only because the Western Magic U23 girls can shoot better FTs

Adam Gibson (A-) Woking well with Gary Ervin. A-.

Daniel Johnson (A) Agree with that. A

Anthony Petrie (A) Does a lot of the little 1 percenters that don't show up on the stat sheet that helps the team. A.

Luke Schenscher (B+) Certainly better under Joey and making most of the minutes. Only a B though.

Brendan Teys (U) He's the 10th man in a nine man roster. Would like to see more minutes, but when he is on court he is following instructions and seems to be doing it well.

Joey Wright (A) A breath of fresh air. I think him and KB make a really good match and balance - a real yin/yan. Mark him down as an A (close to an A+ if he gets the flag) and KB as a B+

I would also rate GM Dean Parker and his team with a A as well. He has done a lot of things right off the court and that translates to on-court success.

lets not forget the Team Manager -anyone who picks up one of Gibbo's smelly jock straps definitely gets an A+

Reply #450217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Swap out Rusty or Vandy for Luke Nevill or Julian Kazzouh and they are up there with Adelaide and Perth"

No way. Nevill is overrated. Last time he was in the league he was slow and wouldnt keep up with the speed.

Khazzouh's impact in the league this year would be reduced with the return of Ogilvy, Knight, an improving Pledger, an improved Johnson and Morrison.

Reply #450237 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Last point was me. Apologies

Reply #450238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick

not sure i totally agree with you, nor do i totally disagree with you on the crocs

Pace & Conklin are certainly no Ervin, Beal, Young, Ennis etc - they are almost role players playing very well in a great Shawn Dennis system. Probably over achieving!

Holmes, Hinder, Vanderjagt, Norton, Djeric and Kenny definitely wouldnt get a start on any other NBL team, in fact most of them wouldn't even get signed!

Crawford is still recovering from 2 lots of surgeries. Markovic is one of the most underrated player in the league atm IMHO and Blanchfield has the 'potenial star' tag dangling over his head.

I think Dennis is getting the most out of this team, especially when he can get them to play D which enables them to run! He knows they cant score in the half court. C+ or B- is my mark

Reply #450241 | Report this post

Manut Bol  
Years ago

Giving the tigers a B is way too generous. Should be a C at best. With their talent they should be performing better and have relied heavily on goulding. Would be a B if anstey wasn't the coach bringing down their rating

Reply #450250 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Last two posters nailed it.

Crocs B-
Tigers C+ (taking into account they lost Dennis in the preseason)

Reply #450263 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I want to stand up for Mitch Norton, I think he has a brought future and if he wasn't playing for Townsville then I think he could easily find a roster spot in Perth, Cairns, Sydney or Melbourne... But as for the rest of Townsville's squad they will be better when Djeric and PC can understand their roles better within the Dennis system and who could knock back Julian Khazzouh playing up there... It would be great and hopefully Mick and 5000 other Crocs fans would enjoy it too (each game)

Lastly we haven't had Perth vs. Townsville so far this season (only preseason) so that makes it hard to judge the Crocs just yet but them wins over the breakers were lovely

Reply #450292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good luck with 5000 fans!

last game was literally a half full Swamp... still quite loud tho

Reply #450322 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Any team in the league would have Mitch Norton in a heartbeat. He is the best young PG in the NBL right now...

Reply #450330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Cadee over Norton any day of the week.

Reply #450342 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Both have potential. I would take Nate Tomlinson as my backup point guard.

Reply #450347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Corey Maynard over any of those mentioned & I'd be surprised if it's close. Hope the 6ers replace Cadee with him.

Reply #450348 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Don't have much to disagree about with Boti's team ratings.

Can't say anything bad about Adelaide at all, perfect at home and respectable on the road, massive improvement across the outfit.

Kings grade for the second half of the year will depend entirely on what Heal can come up with to solve their playmaking weakness, but a C/C- seems to fit for the moment. Definitely feel like they have underachieved in this last few rounds.

Crocs have done well on the court with their limited budget, Dennis is looking good as a coach.

Cairns may have turned a corner, but the hole they've already dug is very serious.

Wollongong were never going to be world beaters, but Gordie has them plugging along, embarrassing people here and there. Already reached the number of wins that the Pythagorean expectations Lobpass to Abercrombie ran earlier in the year predicted, so that's a plus.

Breakers, well, I don't think anyone is going to stand up for the 4-9 record. Not a great return on talent. The gap between is and should be is too large for anything but a D score at best.

As for the Wildcats ... well, don't think they could have reasonably performed any better. Much stronger squad than last year with a beautiful chemistry. That squad means expectations have to be high, but I think they've exceeded them, 6-0 at home and 6-1 on the road is as good as it gets.

Reply #450387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754