koberulz
Years ago

Wildcats offering all home games on DVD for $65

https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product&CategoryID=1744&ProductID=40768&OrgID=5295#Description

Single games also available for $10 each.

Topic #33473 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Hmm this is interesting considering what channel TEN have told me (ATF).

However hopefully this opens the doors for other teams to offer something similar.

Reply #452031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What have Channel 10 told you?

Reply #452034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing they told him "We don't know what Wildcats are. Please elaborate"

Reply #452049 | Report this post

Titfortat  
Years ago

Could this have become a reality with the nbl being its own entity now? Didn't Perth used to televise their games on ch7 despite past league deals due to their owner?

Reply #452054 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

If I recall, channel 7 showed Wildcats home games at the same time when the ABC just started its national deal. 1998 /99 I think, probably due to their former owner Kerry Stokes.

Im not sure if this DVD deal has anything to do with channel 10, if the coverage is produced by the NBL, then I'd assume the material belongs to the NBL, not 10 and therefore can do what they like with it, like sell DVDs, which channel 10 wont get a cent of (i hope)

Reply #452058 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'm guessing they told him "We don't know what Wildcats are. Please elaborate"

haha!

It looks like these DVDs are produced by the Wildcats not Channel TEN.

As you were.

Reply #452064 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The Wildcats have a lot of priors for doing things on their own that may stretch what their contracts would seem to allow...

Witness some of the shenanigans regarding the And1 deal and Perth's willingness to go to alternative merch suppliers.

The fact its home games only is a bit odd?

Reply #452109 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The re-writing of the NBL's contract with Channel 10 wasn't entirely one way in favour of 10. One of the things the league got out of it was non-exclusivity for 10, meaning things like NBL.TV became possible. I'm guessing that is also the reason clubs are able to sell DVDs now.

Agree that the home games only thing is a little curious. I'm thinking that maybe the NBL has dished out the DVD rights for all games to the home teams, so that if I wanted to buy a Wildcats road game vs. say Adelaide, it would be the 36ers I would buy from. Of course that only works if all the clubs are on board with it, and it doesn't sound like that's the case. (then again, until yesterday I didn't know the Wildcats were on board with it either ... promotion and communication in general are still not the strong points of the NBL!)

Reply #452122 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The alternative possibility is that Perform and Ten crews in other states aren't as friendly with handing over the footage.

I know it's been mentioned that the NBL is in charge now, so should have the footage in the first place, but when was the last time an NBL broadcast showed any footage from a game earlier in the season?

Reply #452156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunking Dan's all over it. Despite all of the permutations he has implied that are meaningless. Stick to the Ozho's DD that you and the other WAnKers have killed. Not required here. Next thing The Customer will be here, then WankiTT will join here. Bullocks.

Reply #452200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bout all the away games?

Reply #452580 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy a WAnkiTT DVD?

Reply #452586 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'm all over it. Will get back to you shortly.

Reply #452660 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Got mine in the mail today. Popped in the Townsville game for a few seconds to check it out.

They only sent the last two games
There's a menu, which is an improvement on 2010
It's a single-layer disc, so NBL.TV games will likely look pretty average
The post-game press conference is included
They've not bothered to edit the start at all, so it starts with a graphic just sitting there with warmups going on in the background for a few minutes, before the open plays
They don't know what 'overscan' is, so the menu runs off the edge of the screen
There are no chapters

It's a step up from their 2010 grand final DVD, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Reply #453108 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Thanks for the review.
That's a little surprising, since it takes minimal extra effort to do some basic editing and include chapters. I do that even for the games I save for myself from the TV telecasts.
For the price I guess I'm not going to complain though. Hopefully it proves popular and worthy of repeating with a little more attention to detail next season.

Reply #453111 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Spent a bit more time with the DVDs after getting home tonight.

They really don't know what overscan is. The overscan area is cropped off. Since NBL.TV games are designed for computers and don't keep overscan in mind, this runs the scoreboard off the edge of the screen even when my TV is set to display the overscan area. When it's set as most TVs would be, some of the clock disappears.
They don't know what interlacing is, either, or something. There are interlacing artifacts all over the Breakers game, but seemingly only from the close-up sideline camera. Which makes no sense.
They've stuck a dirty great "Wildcats.TV" logo on the upper right corner of the Breakers game.
Picture quality, as expected, is terrible. Since I have my own copy of the Breakers game, here are screenshots taken at the exact same frame in both:
http://imageshack.com/a/img35/3753/ru2h.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img811/73/ssus.png

Reply #453181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754