Anonymous
Years ago

ECC-SCC-AJCC?

Be nice if the SA teams took their best kids (including Metro & Country), unfortunately the Country kids go to Albury which is a second rate comp compared to the ECC & SCC. So aren't really SA state NITP squads, just metropolitan squads.

The SA U/14 teams at the SCC would be strengthened with the 5 country girls & 3 country boys that represented SA at the School Sports Nationals in Perth a few months ago, with SA bringing back gold & silver medals. All of these kids play in the BSA U/14 competition, therefore they should be eligible to represent SA at these tournaments! We are one state at this level & our best talent should be on display at the one tournament.

Topic #33509 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you miss the point of these Tournaments.

Talk to your Club JCD or BSA or SA Country Development Staff.

Reply #452845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I am missing the point of these tournaments as well then. Surely at ECC and SCC we should ensure as many of our best kids compete rather than not. Looking at the squads I would suggest, especially in U16 boys, there are many others who should be included for the nationals.

Reply #452846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ECC is an NITP tournament. So it is for the team selected from that squad - it is about development, not winning.
Last year, SA Country and Metro both sent teams to SCC. If it is the same this year, what is your point? The best of BOTH are going!

Reply #452862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very confused post!

School Sports comp is just a small comp, nothing to do with being State teams.

ECC and SCC are just little tourneys for kids to get familiar with going to tournaments, playing for state metro teams, staying away from home etc.

They're just organised practice games.

They're not NiTP events, there are not that many kids in NITP so the teams are current NITP plus the same again you didn't make NITP.

They are played in u14, u15, u16 ( so in single year age groups) then u18.

They are all great events but when picking the Olympic team they don't take into consideration the player's performance at the School Sports Champs

Reply #452892 | Report this post

bruce  
Years ago

Obviously anon 33509 you do not realise basketball is split country and metro at nationals level and these tourneys are all about development and selection for nationals
The reference to the Albury country cup as second rate to SCC and ECC is incorrect . I have attended all in the last 3 yrs and would say they compared favorably and would rated albury as a better run and managed event than the others.

Reply #453010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury is definitely better run - but the tournament itself is fast becoming a joke. Look at the complete one-sidedness of many of the results - it seems to be on it's way to a "Pacific Coast Slam" level of socialness above elite development.
ECC and SCC are far better for elite basketball standard.

Reply #453064 | Report this post

bruce  
Years ago

Pretty funny comment anon 064 , take a look at the 1st day of SCC - plenty of one sided results there and since I actually have attended both can guarantee the competition is very similar - there were also plenty of close results and some overtime wins

Reply #453170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same as Albury???? Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Too funny

Reply #453227 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

Could you actually make an intelligent response anon 227 and add to the discussion . You obviously are ridiculing the country teams participating at Albury so maybe we will restart the discussion later and see if any can be competitive at nationals this year .

Reply #453248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK Bruce, to suggest the Albury thing is on a par with ECC is stupid.

Does that help?

Reply #453251 | Report this post

bruce  
Years ago

I can have the discussion for you, the SCC is basically a tourney set up completely for the benefit of Vic Bball which is fine . Other states are slowly getting on board to make it relevant , it has sensibly replaced the old Pt Mac tourney. Unfortunately Vic country has taken its best u14 kids out of albury cup to play in SCC , a fairly selfish attitude I would have thought but whether this is a good decision or not only time will tell. Given the sad state of Vic country basketball at the moment you would wonder what is going on there anyway ! Albury wil continue to be a successful development and selection carnival for country teams for the 18 and 16 Nationals

Reply #453256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce so who runs Albury?

Reply #453272 | Report this post

Hopscotch 25  
Years ago

Any tournament that Vic Metro, the better Vic Country teams, SA Metro and NSW Metro teams attend are going to be superior in terms of competition. If given the choice to play the ACT NITP squads or the Albury rep teams, I know which one I would chose! The ECC-SCC tournaments are development and competition based first and foremost. The Albury tournament is 2-3 days longer with the same amount of games played, and tends to be a more social event including a players disco, sponsors night, parents trivia night and a golf day etc.
Full credit to those that organise these additional holiday activities, but for pure competition and parent dollar value the organisers of the ECC and SCC are heading in the right direction.

Reply #453299 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

Good question on who runs the country cup , the structure is unusual with the states taking turns to manage it each year , can I presume Vic runs it overall or u wouldn't be asking the question . To criticize the format and length of the comp is interesting as it mirrors nationals - the disco aside of course and god help us if the kids get to have one night off !! Country Vic send there second teams in 14's and best in the rest so maybe if these teams performed better the standard of comp could be raised to the level set by nsw and sa this year

Reply #453305 | Report this post

Selwood  
Years ago

Bruce the Albury tournament is nothing like a Nationals! The only similarity is the number of days. The average cost for an U/18 SA player to attend the Albury tournament is around the $1500 mark, the cost for an SA player to attend the ECC is $400. This coming straight after Christmas and right before the U/18 Nationals. The Albury Cup and its directors make a packet from this week at the cost of the kids!

Reply #453312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSWC kids cost their parents about $1,000, VicC is $1,800 and NZ kids have to pay about $3,000, so if we add the cost for SAC kids at $1,400 it seems that the cost for attending the AJBCC is varied and maybe not so much the organisers who make the money?

Reply #453317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I know Albury is run by a private
'company' directors of which are all ex-Country Association administrators.

They make the money.

It has no right claiming to be a Nationals.

Reply #453324 | Report this post

Pug  
Years ago

Very well run tournament, no doubt! But great competition NO, value for money NO.
The Tasmanian squads are spread so thin its embarrassing, they would be better served sending their best team in each age group to the SCC. Playing the Albury-Wodonga teams is an embarrassment and Vic Country look like they don't take it serious at all!
Great feel good tournament this year for the NSW & SA teams, but it is an illusion of where they are actually at.

Reply #453360 | Report this post

bruce  
Years ago

From an SA perspective the cost for Albury vs SCC was within $200 of each other and both were close to the costs of attending last years Nationals ! So really looking at that I would say the SCC is poor value relative to the others !
Let's remember all these tourneys , apart from nationals of course, are for development and future selections so winning is really irrelevant in the big picture.

Reply #453384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree PUG from what I saw. I just don't know if all the available talent from those states were available at this time of year. Hopefully not as I feel they will struggle come the "real" tournaments

Reply #453388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754