Anonymous
Years ago

How many college Seniors will play NBL next year?

With most of the lead up games done and the NCAA conference play starting it's getting clearer to see which Aussie's are doing well this year. Given that last year the top 3 players Delly, Motum and Broekhoff went on to NBA and Europe and that Ellis and Young were the 2 main guys who returned to the NBL, I wondered how many of this years seniors are likely to make an NBL list.

Here is what I think

(1) Cam Bairstow - PF - 20ppg/7.3rpg/1.9apg - stepped up massively and could bounce into the second round of the NBA draft. If not likely to go Europe like Baynes and Motum did. 10% chance of being back in the NBL
(2) Rob Loe - C - 9.5ppg/5.1rpg/1.9apg - NZ native who would be 90% chance of backing up Pledger at the Breakers next year
(3) Angus Brandt - C - 12.3ppg/4.4rpg/1.7apg - Big man who can shoot, but doesn't rebound much. Probably an upgrade on a Ben Allen so may make a roster as a back up big
(4) Majok Majok - PF - 11.5ppg/10.5rpg/1.3apg - plays in a low conference on a team that loses a lot, but puts up double doubles. Might make a roster as a back up big.
(5) Corey Maynard - PG - 11.3ppg/4.9rpg/5.0apg - plays lots of minutes in a weak conference. Chance of making a roster as a back up PG but probably in the similar mould to Luke Cooper or Damian Heuir.
(6) and (7) Jeromie Hill - PF and Jorden Page - PG. Both should be seniors this year, but haven't seen them play. I think Page left Saint Mary's. Does anyone know what happened to them?

I think the rest will be SEABL players with potentially 1 or 2 of the bigs making development spots on NBL teams

(8) Jordan Vandenberg - 6.0ppg/5.3rpg/0.8apg
(9) Chris Patton - 12.6ppg/6.6rpg/1.1apg
(10) Matt Hodgson - 4.0ppg/2.6rpg/0.2apg
(11) Nathan Sobey - 7.5ppg/2.6rpg/1.7apg
(12) Luke Devlin - PF - 2.4ppg/1.8rpg/0.8apg
(13) Claybrin McMath - PF - 1.0ppg/1.2rpg/0.1apg

Topic #33516 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I HOPE a team in the NBL can lure Cam Bairstow.

Reply #452968 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bairstow would be great for the NBL even if it's only for a couple of seasons before he moves on. As for the rest of that list a few bigs such as majok, Vandenberg, Brandt and Loe look like they could possibly make an nbl roster. Maynard would be a good pick up imo.

Reply #452972 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Brandt was lucky not to do his second ACL against Akron

Reply #452974 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Really hoping to get Brandt back home to Sydney next season... Having a legit 5 backup would be awesome...

I think we're going to see Bairstow do a Motum if he can't catch the eye of an NBA team, which is unfortunate... Imagine how the league could look like if we had the likes of Motum, Bairstow, Greenwood, all being able to contribute to the league over the next season or two, even if only for a couple of seasons... Makes me wish the NBL had a "top level rookie fund" where no matter what team they signed with, they chipped in to lift their salary up over what would normally be able to be afforded by an NBL team...

I know I keep bringing this up, and I know I'd rather being playing over in Italy as well, but if college kids can be lured to come play back home in front of family and friends, english speaking environment, possibly develop their skills more and get a higher profile to score a better gig in Europe in one or two seasons, that can only be good things for the NBL as well as the players...

Reply #452975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill is redshirting so he will have another year of eligibility.

Jorden Page is already back?

The others will probably look at Europe before they play NBL.

Reply #452977 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

For several of those players it would depend on passport options. If they have dual passport eligibility they will likely land in Europe those who don't usually come back and compete for NBL spots.

Reply #452979 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Looking at Eurobasket, the top of the bunch don't seem to have dual citizenship, which could of course work in our favour, but you'd think that Bairstow would be slightly ahead of where Motum was and he's only a Skippy and playing in Italia... I think he'd be the only one that would be any chance to not come back though...

Reply #452991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the duel passport as important for playing in europe as it used to be?

The top team in Germany has 5 americans in the starting 5 according to eurobasket.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Germany/FC_Bayern_Muenchen/219?Page=0

I assume the passport helps with job security and being harder to cut although it seems like if an Aussie like Bairstow who is performing well in D1 NCAA and gets some nba summer league on his resume that he could get a look in over in europe if he wanted.

Might be a good question for Paul.

Reply #452995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the Brandt-Ben Allen comparison, saw Brandt play a couple of weeks ago, looks way better than Allen. Averaging better college numbers in a stronger conference than Allen was.

Reply #452996 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

Germanys one of the few euro countries with soft import restrictions. Their must be 2 germans on the court at all times.

Reply #452997 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It definitely helps having a passport as European teams like to use their import spots to get players who offer something different (ie scoring, one-on-one skills, athleticism) like most NBL teams do.

In many cases import players dont get as much money as good locals either, as there are so many Americans looking for jobs, so having a local passport can help in that regard.

The big exception is big guys, they are always in demand, so I would imagine Bairstow is only back here next season if he wants to be.

Without a Brisbane team I would think that unlikely, but you never know, Matt Knight and Luke Nevill came here before Europe after outstanding college careers.

Reply #452998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any good seniors in Div 2 that might come back? Similar to Cam Gliddon a few years ago.

Reply #452999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Allen made a Boomers squad on how he looked at St Mary's... You can't use that form and compare to the NBL.

Hill will go to Cairns whenever he is ready. Lock that in. Bairstow to the Crocs until the Bris team comes in. Lock that in too.

Maynard almost made a Crocs team 2yrs ago but they went with a local, C Cedar.

Reply #453002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming the Crocs are there next season.

Reply #453003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Maynard turned the Crocs down a couple years back.

I think he could be a starter in this league next year.

Reply #453007 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Anon don't tease me! Bairstow would be a perfect fit at the crocs and a definate upgrade on the retiring hinder, I just think he is playing too well to settle for an nbl gig. I'd love to be wrong though.

Reply #453009 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

A few guys might struggle to make an NBL roster as it s a tough transition to make and people underestimate how tough the NBL is as a league and guys coming from weaker conferences with good numbers can be deceiving.

A few guys could make the end of roster (Esp the 4/5's) but with the new teams alot of these guys might get a look in at the new clubs rather than be back playing SEABL.

Reply #453013 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Re: Jorden Page

Returned to Australia before the season to rehab knee injury.

But, he had a final year of eligibility remaining.

This was because he had another knee injury a few years ago and appeared in such few games he was granted a medical redshirt.

Think he has being all healed for a couple of months now. Unsure as to why he didn't go back. Maybe he didn't want to rush back into it and just return here and do a proper rehab, before giving the NBL a crack next season.

Reply #453018 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

I agree with Tiger Watcher. History shows that 1 if not 2 only ever transition to the NBL per season in an 8 team competition and number of contract opening's for specific types of players. There just isn't the teams or the faith in an amateur college player to provide immediate on court success for a NBL to remain viable. Owners prefer to take the risk with a seasoned guy over youth which is one of the reasons why the NBL model is failing those juniors who go the US system route. Sometimes it is now easier for a development player who has stayed in Aust and has been under the eyes of the coach and does enough to impress for the club to give them a shot over a college hopeful who no one has worked with in australia for 4 years and been playing with a 35s shot clock. don't get me wrong without the NCAA pathway many of our finest (delay, patty, broekoff, bogut) wouldn't have made it where they are today in the Australian system. But it really is a horses for courses approach. this idea that the best will play here in there first year out of college is just fruitless and proven to be not realistic.

Reply #453044 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Drake U'u, Shane Harris-Tunks, Cody Ellis and Mitch Young are this seasons college returnees. Ellis will probably have the best career of that quartet.
U'u has had minimal impact until last weekend.
Young has potential and will get better as Burston and co retire. Harris Tunks is a bench warmer.
Not an overwhelming rookie crop so looking at this years seniors only Bairstow looks to have an impact and he might not even come back to NBL

Reply #453046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the anon who asked if there are any good seniors in Div 2 a la Cam Gliddon, Mitch McCarron at Metro State is a definite prospect who I reckon could have a similar impact in the NBL to Gliddon, although I think he's only a sophomore.

Reply #453047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was carving it up last time I looked! I think Maynard will get a gig and have a reasonable impact, same with Rob Loe, and youd imagine Cairns will sign Hill.

The year after will be a completely different story if the NBL gets their four new teams, would certainly be exciting to see a heap of new talent come into the league.

Reply #453050 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

There are just not enough teams in the NBL to accomodate these returnees. This means that the best of the list get tacted on to the end of rosters while others get careers outside of Basketball.

I know more teams means we need to find more wealthy investors so this is unlikely but our returning players should have teams to come back to. The best players should move into starting roles and the best of the rest should move into bench roles. The rest end up in careers outside of basketball and/or playing ABL.

As for the list, I believe the following two could have starting roles in the NBL (Ignoring Bairstow as he is probably unlikely for the NBL):
Corey Maynard - Easy fit for a team missing a point (Sydney and Melborune (Move Tomlinson to bench) would be a good fit for a pass first PG with their scoring SG's)
Jerome Hill - A nice size and mobile PF. Maybe Townsville would be a good fit for next year to start ahead of Holmes.

Roles off the bench:
Rob Loe - NZ to replace Salt with Loe and move Pledger to starting role
Angus Brandt - All teams bar Adelaide to replace their back C's (I Would keep Schenscher)
Majok Majok - All teams bar Perth to replace their back PF's (I Would keep Waggstaff)
Jorden Page - All teams bar Adelaide/NZ to replace their back PG's (I Would keep Cadee and Bruton)
Jordan Vandenberg - All teams bar Adelaide to replace their back C's (I Would keep Schenscher)

Reply #453052 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Good summary flinders but Bruton is retiring after this season so NZ another option for Page.

Reply #453053 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mitch McCarron can flat out play!

Currently averaging 27.9ppg and 9.3rpg.

Crazy numbers really.

Oh, and want to know how he is doing that:

72 % from FG
80 % from 3 (12/15)
72 % from FT.

Better averages than Worthington and Barlow -- and look how their careers have worked out.

I think a player like McCarron is what this league needs -- we need a young player who can put the ball through the hoop, especially a PG.

I know scoring may not be their 'classical role' but it does bother me how many players we get in the league, especially guards, who are one-dimensional and can't do much.

It does bother me that in this league, just having a PG that can dribble the ball up and get a team into their sets makes him a "good role player". Cooper was a classic example of this.

Let's get some young guys with flair. Let them play their game, shoot the ball etc. And the argument "the young guys don't deserve shots because they're not as efficient as the veterans" is flawed (thanks to Hinder)

Creek, for example, is a victim of how teams allocate minutes, opportunities and shots based on your age.

I remember when Ingles entered the league, got a massive opportunity. Souths unearthed a star and won a championship.

The 'Team - Young Player' relationship can be mutual (but all the coaches etc seem to think not).

Reply #453055 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Souths unearthed a star and won a championship."

I think you skipped a couple of major steps in there!!

Reply #453057 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nope, NZ wouldn't get Page.

The old Breakers used to get Aussies.

Their new culture seems geared towards developing internal talent. Before they got Page, they would upgrade Burton, lure Ruscoe back etc.

Reply #453058 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah, obviously there was a few years gap between his rookie year and when they won the championship.

But my point is that had the Dragons not given him the opportunities at the start of his career to become a star, he may not have hung around.

Point is, the Dragons gave him opportunities and he rewarded them for their faith in him.

What will Creek do? Hmm

Reply #453059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When Joe came into the league there were 4 or 5 more teams, so it was a different set of circumstances. Creek has been offered quite a bit more to go elsewhere and has stayed in Adelaide so that tells you something, he understands how tough the league is now with limited spots.

Im all for giving young guys a chance, back in 1996 there was over 20 guys aged 21 or under playing in the league, many of them playing big minutes, so I look forward to the intro of more teams in the next few years so those opportunities are there again.

Reply #453060 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

seriously cj bruton is well past his time . well past 6man impact

Reply #453068 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

seriously cj bruton is well past his time . well past 6man impact

Reply #453069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Maynard over nate Tomlinson? Your tripping flinders lol Maynard wouldn't tie nates shoes

Reply #453078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR Smith might untie them though

Reply #453084 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is a link to a list of all the Aussies in college this season: Aussies in College: The Complete Listing for Men 2013/14

You can also see how they have been going in a New Year article I put together complete with all the stats for each player, and I have a crack at ranking them from 1-15:

NCAA Spotlight on the Aussie Men: The top 15 with all the stats

Honestly, out of the current seniors, only the following are likely to be able to get a gig at NBL level or even overseas in a decent league immediately:

- Cameron BAIRSTOW - improving shot at NBA otherwise D-League or Europe
- Angus Brandt - he had quite a bit of interest from Europe (he starred in OSU's out of season trip there before ACL), but is a definite NBL prospect. Will be better than Allen.
- Jordan Vandenberg - he is a definite NBL prospect, but Europe may also throw him some offers as guys like him don't grow on trees
- Corey Maynard - definite NBL contributor right away - similar in some ways to Tomlinson but is a better scorer
- Majok Majok - he is a definite NBL prospect but may also like his chances in chasing Europe given his size and length. Asian leagues may also throw some money at him.

Nathan Sobey, Christian Salecich and Chris Patton could work their way onto a roster, especially if the league expands. Patton has the great chance given his size and presence in the paint - maybe a 10-12th man?

As other have pointed out, Jeromie Hill has red-shirted this season due to injury and will be returning next year as a 5th year senior.

Jordy Page is no longer enrolled at Saint Mary's following his knee injury and is currently a free agent, but whether he is fully fit yet I don't know.

McMath and Devlin I don't think can get there, and Hodgson has not shown enough for me to even pass judgement.

Of course, time will tell, but if we get more NBL teams, the chances of even more guys the following year from the juniors increases too.

Reply #453135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Maynard's last 2 games - 19pts, 6rbs, 7asts, 4stls & 30pts, 3rbs, 3asts, 2stls..... What do u mean not good enough to tie Nate Tomlinsons shoes? Definite NBL contributor right away at the very least

Reply #453332 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And Maynard has now been named NEC player of the week!

Maynard named Choice Hotels NEC Player of the Week

Reply #453483 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And check out my recent interview with Maynard here:

Timeout with Corey Maynard: A Bulldog by nature

Reply #453485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754