Anonymous
Years ago

Who's going to finish 4th on the NBL ladder?

It looks like the top 3 spots on the ladder are sorted unless Adelaide lose all 3 games remaining AND lose by more than 6 points to the Tigers AND the Tigers win both their remaining games. If one of those things doesn't happen then it will be Perth and Adelaide top 2. For Melbourne not to drop to 4th they need to either win 1 of 2 games OR have Sydney not win all 4 remaining games as Sydney has them beaten in the head to head.

So it looks like Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne for top 3, however for the 4th spot since Sydney has 4 games remaining it looks kinda interesting between Sydney and Woolongong .... and Cairns a massive outsider.

- Sydney (11-13) have NZ, Adelaide, Woolongong and Townsville.
- Woolongong (11-14) have Townsville, Sydney and Perth.
- Cairns (11-15) have Melbourne and NZ. Cairns need to win both their games finish (13-15), have Woolongong beat Sydney and lose the other 2 and have Sydney only win 1 of 4 games to make it. So Cairns are like the San Diego Chargers and need about 7 games to go their way.

As for Sydney and Woolongong, it may all come down to their head to head clash next week. Sydney are no certainties of knocking off the Breakers and Adelaide would have to be favourites on that game, so if Sydney split this weekend (1-1) and if Woolongong beat Townsville then both would be (12-14) into the last week and their head to head clash the following week becomes a game for who will play finals.

The other irony is that Townsville, who is last, plays them both and still can have an impact on who will make finals.

I actually think Woolongong are in a better position to make finals having to really prepare for 2 games (sacrifice the Perth game) while Sydney needs to prepare for all 4. That said, I would rather see Sydney play Perth in the finals series but looks like they lost too many easy ones earlier in the year.

Topic #33943 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

NZ are still a mathematical chance for 4th too.

Reply #462422 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Too many possible outcomes but for me it will likely come down to the Wollongong v Sydney game.
Hard to believe NZ and Cairns still have a chance.

Reply #462423 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Wollongong. Well run team, have the best coach in the league and a player in Rotnei who can go for 30-40.
They need this Townsville game though

Reply #462435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks shouldn't have started slow against Cairns!

This is just the sort of finish you want to a season where almost every team has a chance or isn't miles off the pace.

Reply #462441 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Who would Adelaide and Perth like to avoid in the playoffs? I think both Perth & Adl would be very nervous about the prospect of playing Cairns, and would rather face Wollongong or Sydney.

Still, when you factor in Cairns' response to winning pressure games at home, you just can't see them winning this week :(

Prove me wrong Taipans!

Reply #462442 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Adelaide definitely dont want to face Sydney and dont think they would be comfortable with the Hawks match up....would prefer to face Cairns I would think?!

Reply #462445 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think we can all agree, that no matter what, we don't want NZ making the playoffs, right? :)

Reply #462447 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It's looking pretty likely to me that Adelaide will play Melbourne in the Semi's. Which means we could potentiality play them 4 games in a row (3 at home).

Reply #462452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 games in a row against the same opposition is really interesting to me, would like to see 5-game finals series.

Reply #462462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woolongoing having Perth as their last game has an advantage. Can't see Perth trying 100% there.

Reply #462463 | Report this post

Jonty59  
Years ago

Sydney will lose three of their last four, especially if they keep playing zero D like they have the last three games (all losses BTW)

Reply #462464 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If you think Perth are spitting in the face of 10,000 fans by giving a half-assed performance as the lasting memory before playoffs, you're sadly mistaken.

It will have the opposite effect -- Perth will work that much harder to put the gong away early.

Reply #462465 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If Perth beating the Gong means that Sydney possibly stays in fourth, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll be looking to beat them.

Reply #462468 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think everyone would be breathing a sigh of relief to see NZ miss finals. I'd be confident of Perth coming out ahead in a three-game-series, but would still very much prefer to not have to take the risk.

I think after dropping a home and an away game to them, Perth would rather not meet Cairns, who we seem to have surprising amounts of problems with. Melbourne ... well, I dunno, it depends what Melbourne shows up in finals. Whoever plays them will have to find ways to shackle Goulding without giving other players too much free reign.

Reply #462469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Sydney due to Heal. What a dud coach.

Reply #462479 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Stupid Sydney. Too many changes, too often.

Reply #462487 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Sorry for not starting a new thread but does anyone else think it's interesting that we are hearing about Wellington coming into the NBL 2014/15 and Heal is about to start 15 weeks as a NZNBL coach in Wellington?
Is it a try out?

Reply #462491 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

sure the Taipans might need a miracle - but this is sport, Bradburys happen!

Reply #462494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where have you heard about Wellington? On this forum all I've read is people referring to hearing about it but where who knows. Care to elaborate?

Reply #462497 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

NBL team admin personnel and players.
Finding it hard to believe that 2 new teams are coming in with all the finances required.
Not sure why these people would be making it up tho.

Reply #462501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington would be good for NZ.

North Island and South Island represent.

Would Breakers change from NZ to Auckland Breakers?

Issue is another Aus team.

Reply #462540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wollongong in 4th now. First time this season in the top four. Every other team had been previously at some point. Peaking at the right time.

Reply #462541 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

WOW!

Breakers getting it done and showing how tight this season is.

Sydney on very thin ice at the moment.

v Adelaide on Sunday
@ Wollongong next Friday
v Townsville next Sat.

Could potentially drop all games. The Gong game should be a sellout!

Wollongong - only need to finish same as Sydney

@Townsville Fri
v Sydney Fri
@Perth Sun

You would think Townsville would oblige, but it is the last home game so anything is possible. Perth should be a loss, but Perth might be in 2nd gear that night just cruising into the finals.

Breakers are still a mathematically chance, but I am a mathematical chance of getting into a Zorb and rolling down a hill after bunny jumping naked.

Reply #462546 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hawks my tip for 4th.
Adelaide to play Melbourne

Reply #462547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754