Luke
Years ago

Can you play ABA and go on to play NBL

Hi Guys,

I am a 14 yr old with a dream to play in the nbl, but I don't want to go play collage ball, Could I get into a NBL team this way:
Local Rep Team=
State Team=
Than ABA Waratah League when Im 18
Than get picked up by a NBL team, would this way work?

Cheers Luke

Topic #33972 | Report this topic

Years ago

Fore sure you can

Reply #463081 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

yep

Reply #463093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. But don't cut English classes to go to training any more.

Reply #463094 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Luke, some people here have been very misleading. You have to play SEABL to get a position in the NBL. There is basically no other way.

Reply #463099 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

HO - no you don't. There is no prerequisite path to NBL. If you are good enough, you can play.

Reply #463103 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

goodluck mate

Reply #463116 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

NBL coaches watch SEABL games and Wildcats keep an eye on SBL.QABL is watched for imports but the highest standard outside the NBL would be SEABL and NZBL.

Reply #463117 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

SEABL is not a set requirement, but it would give the biggest exposure to a wider target audience plus is well known to be much higher standard competition to showcase talent than the Waratah League, but seeing as how a fair amount of Hawks/Kings players and I think sometimes in the past, coaches, have played Waratah league, it's not without it's merit to getting exposure to those particular teams...

Reply #463119 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Best paths to the NBL are all subject. As one person has said, if you a good enough then you will make it regardless of path. Take 36ers paths (Don't hold me to these but I think they are correct - Couple of question marks though):

Carter - State??/NBL-DP/NBL/Overseas Leagues/NBL
Gibson - State/AIS-SEABL/NBL
Cadee - State/AIS-SEABL/NBL
Teys - State??/QABL/NBL-DP/NBL
Ervin - Import Path
Schenscher - State??/College/NBA/NBL
Frye - Import Path
Warbout - State/CABL/NBL-DP/SEABL
Doyle - CABL/NBL-DP/SEABL
Petrie - State??/AIS-SEABL/NBL
Anthony - State??/NZNBL/NBL/German League??/NBL
Johnson - State/AIS-SEABL/NBL
Creek - State/AIS-SEABL/NBL

Reply #463130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson was WA SBL?

Reply #463135 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Flinders, Johnson went to College (Pepperdine). The rest look correct.

Reply #463137 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

use Exum as an example or Lebron or or or

There are no rules to do anything

if you are good enough you will be found regardless of where you are playing

Dmac was playing street ball in NY

Reply #463143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Flinders, Schenscher and Carter went through AIS also. Luke was there for three years even.

Reply #463145 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

From an exposure point of view SEABL is probably the best league as it covers the most number of teams/depths of talent & if your a kiwi the NZBL.

Reply #463148 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

So I could play really well at State and get noticed? That's good that I can get noticed anywhere because I have no SEABL teams near me, hopefully you will see me in 10 years tearing up the league! aha

Reply #463161 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I cannot believe people responded to that sensibly.

Sorry Luke.

Reply #463170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck Luke. Follow your dreams.!!

Reply #463189 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Luke, a couple of key things. Choosing a good junior club is important to ensure you get quality coaching. This is very important. You may have to travel as a good club may not be in your immediate area. Do some research here. The NBL takes players from everywhere and Waratah League has produced plenty. No doubt the SEABL is strongest feeder league but certainly not the only one..... Oh... And grow. Basketball obviously favours those that grow to be well above 6 foot. Unless you are 6 foot 2 +++, professional basketball will be a stretch.

Reply #463217 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Yeah Dale, one of my mates played for my local rep team but now plays for central coast for more exposure, he made the country NSW team and is a year below, I can see him playing NBA easy, should I follow his path ?

Reply #463227 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Luke, without knowing you personally, I would only give general advice here. The club you choose should give you the opportunity to play at the top level in your age group. In simple terms, if you are Under 16's and the club only had a team in B Grade or A Reserve, I would look to one that fields a team in A Grade. Also don't be afraid of joining a club which you know has better players than you. Sometimes this scares juniors but I think it is better for you. You learn more from playing and training with better players rather than being the best of a bunch of average players.

Without knowing the set-up directly in NSW, does your friend get to regularly play against Sydney based teams? I say this as the strongest clubs and players will still generally be based out of Sydney. Central Coast and Newcastle, whilst strong, will not be able to consistently give you the high quality of competition than Sydney can.

Good luck with it. Believe in yourself but also ensure you have a back up plan (eg - education). Injuries unfortunately can kill a sporting career so always good to have back up plan.

Reply #463243 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

yeah Im pretty sure we vs every team, last saturday night I watched the mustangs game at home and they were playing a sydney team, hopefully a Newcastle team comes back to the NBL, surely they would watch Newcastle Basketball

Reply #463244 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Yeah, NSW was flying when Sydney/Newcastle-Hunter/Illawarra/West Sydney/Canberra were in the league. Options galore. Now just two remain. Victoria is even worse off going from four down to one.

I am talking about a time when you were only just born or not even.

I think there definitely should be a team in Newcastle or based out of Gosford. This way the Sydney, The Illawarra and The Hunter would be covered.

Hopefully in 5-6 years when you are in the zone(age wise) this will be a reality.

I noticed that you said College wasn't an option for you? I said this too as a teenager but probably regret it a bit now. Don't discount this option unless of course you have your own reasons for not doing it. From those I know, it was a very positive experience and there are a multitude of better coaches and players in the USA than there are here.

Maybe try and get yourself on an end of year tour and see how you like it. I know this may not be possible due to cost but if you can afford it, well worth doing.

Sorry, I am rabbiting on a bit here.

Reply #463336 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Okay Guys thanks for the advice, I've changed my mind, If I get noticed by a collage I will go, I was just wondering how do you get into the AIS? Do they watch you at state championships or something?

Reply #463369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke, National Chamionships and NITP.

It goes something like this

Domestic > Rep > State/National Championships > NITP* > National/World CHamps > AIS* > College > ABL/SEABL > NBL > Euro > NBA

NITP and AIS are pretty much academy TI programs. You get identified for these steps via the preceeding comps.

To be brutally honest, if you never play rep basketball as a junior you won't go anywhere. You will be just too far behind the 8ball and no higher program will want to invest the time into you required to get you up to speed... Exception being,if you are a 6foot10 Sudanese athlete with a 64 inch vert OR similar :)

Reply #463378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and Senior World CHamps/Olympics would be a similar level to Euro/NBA in terms of prestige and recognition but is tournament based.

Keep in mind there are quite a few professional tiers in most European countries. If you can get a Euro passport it means you don't have to make it as an import over there and can make a enough to live playing in some of the 2nd/3rd divisions.

Reply #463379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In West Philadelphia born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days chilling out maxing and relaxing all cool and shooting some bball outside of school - can I go on to play NBL from this?

Reply #463585 | Report this post

Dale  
Years ago

Only if you don't get shot by someone from the hood. Even though I think they have a Violence Victims Olympics now so could be a good option.

Reply #463837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754