Anonymous
Years ago

Lemanis - Boomers Full Time Gig....

Lemanis is a proven elite coach.

Why would he want a job where he is judged on 2 weeks performance every 2 years?

How is the Senior coaching role of the Boomers a full time gig?

What would he have done this week for example?

It seems like he has to push to get involved in topics which aren't really any of his business -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-04/dante-exum-committed-to-boomers/5238204

Would his ability to coach get worse without getting "reps" by coaching in a high level competition like the nbl week in week out.

Topic #34049 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would he want a job where he is judged on 2 weeks performance every 2 years?
One answer is that it's the top basketball coaching job in the country. Almost every big name coach has had aspirations. And if it's as cushy a job as you think, maybe he likes it because it's easy.

But I doubt it is. In the equivalent of an off-season, he'd be meeting up with his players and potential players to maintain rapport, see what they're working on and how they're progressing.

I think he was over in the US recently with Dellavedova, Mills and Baynes. I believe he's also met up with guys in Europe too, plus likely done some work learning from European coaches and so on.

Reply #464754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought his role has him coaching the boomers, Uni games and CoE?

That would give him plenty to do!

Reply #464756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is involved with the BA CoE team:
*In an exciting development, Basketball Australia will officially take carriage of the Australian Institute of Sport basketball program, allowing for greater input into the direction of our elite junior development programs.

As part of his role as the head of the men's program, Lemanis will have technical input and oversight of the curriculum, while the CoE Associate Coach of the men’s program will be responsible for the day-to-day coaching, implementation and functioning of the program.*

full story: http://www.basketball.net.au/scholarships-awarded-for-2014-ba-national-centre-of-excellence-mens-program/

Reply #464757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK thanks guys. That explains it.

With a technical director type element to the role across all elite/national mens teams I could see how the role could be fulfilling.

Reply #464758 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

As I see it, we need to have someone at the top of the pyramid, to guide and foster the direction of the Boomers future, not just the current players but those who are up an commers as well.

This is a huge job, with plenty of travel all over this country and overseas.

I don't see it as just the Boomers he will be responsible for, the job would surely be to also ensure we are taking the right steps in developing the next crop of Boomers through our Emus program and Crocodiles in the men's side of the Basketball Program.

Tactical coaching is something he will stay in touch with I am sure, but he will also have plenty of support with assistants to help him at world tournaments and championships, Olympics etc...

Great job for someone with his passion for the sport, cushy, I don't think so!

Reply #464760 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would like to see him doing more game coaching though. Probably won't be an issue this year as he's still fresh from his Breakers stint, but over time I don't think it's good for a coach to be without match practice for 9-10 months at a time.

Reply #464763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are people saying that Bogut is a chance for the World Cup, when he has basically said he won't be apart of it?

Reply #464771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754