Anonymous
Years ago

119k TV viewers for Adelaide vs Melbourne

Fantastic! Is this an NBL record for television viewers?

Topic #34061 | Report this topic

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

So that's where Adelaide was last night?

Reply #465025 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Far out thats good! Against the AFL "blockbuster" none the less.

Reply #465036 | Report this post

James C  
Years ago

Thats a great rating for a great game by the Sixers. Still unimpressed with the attendance last night. Cheap and lazy Sixers fans! Please any fans got a decent reason for not attending and supporting your team at the most crucial part of the season????

Reply #465037 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yeah,that was a pretty weak effort from a capital city....a small city like Cairns would have got a better attendance then that!

Reply #465040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Perth v Gong can get a similar figure tonight on ONE.

Spread the word

Reply #465041 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Where did you see this. Can I have the link?

Reply #465043 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Guys, do you have any ideas why the crowd may not have been like a sell out?

Ask these questions and take into account some facts:

1. How much were tickets?
2. How well was it promoted on TV or within basketball circles?
3. Thursday night is a great corporate night, is it so good for families with school age kids?
4. What else in Adelaide could have taken people away from the NBL?
5. Did your local papers get on board?
6. Was the local radio keen to air the game and promote it?
7. Did the 36's organisation get out and advertise, promote within your community?

If all or most of these answers are in the negative, then what did you expect...

Reply #465044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This figure comes from www.nbl.com.au

Reply #465046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Bear. What was the Advertising/Marketing like for this game from the 36ers?

Just hoping people will turn up will never work. This game needs to be heavily promoted

Reply #465047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yesterday the West Australian newspaper in Perth, had a full back page Advertisement for their upcoming game and a fairly big Ad on the front page of the same paper.

Awesome Advertising

Reply #465049 | Report this post

CABL NEDIA REP  
Years ago

District basketball is Thursday nights for a lot of Div 3 teams I know plenty of coaches and families that wanted but couldn't due to bball.

Also factor in it was 4 days after the last home game on a night AFL broadcast and this weekend is the first showdown at the new Adelaide oval..

Not excuses just some possibilities?

Reply #465052 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Thought it would have sold out for sure!!

Reply #465055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Serious question though) what is a better result: A sellout crowd with 60,000k TV viewers or a crowd of 3800 and 119,000k viewers?

Reply #465056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe everyone is saving there money for game 3 ? ;)

Reply #465057 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Better TV ratings means a better TV deal in the future. So I'd say more viewiers is more important. However it doesn't look good on TV with a half empty arena.. So catch 22.

I'm worried that the Hawks Wildcats game on Sunday will be poorly attended.

Reply #465058 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yesterday the West Australian newspaper in Perth, had a full back page Advertisement for their upcoming game and a fairly big Ad on the front page of the same paper.
Word last night was that sales in Perth were down around the 7k mark, compared to 11-12k for that dead-rubber against Wollongong to close the season. I imagine it's as much a semi-final thing (waiting for GF, etc) as anything else, though prices and night of the week would play a part.

Lots of factors and especially in Adelaide where all the hype is over the showdown at the refurb'ed Adelaide Oval this weekend.

And as already said by someone else, TV figures would be more important than stadium figures. The NBL desperately needs to get a bigger TV deal so that clubs get the windfall and aren't so reliant on their crowds.

Reply #465061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So from a revenue perspective, tv viewer figures are more important than crowd figures?

Reply #465062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon the poor crowd last night was due to a lot of country members not being able to attend, no half price ticket sales throughout the week & a increase in ticket prices when the NBL is not in high demand...
Also Thursday night didn't help & the fact it was live on TV & going against AFL.

Reply #465065 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

The beauty of the NBL breaking away from BA is that now the owners will at least get the TV income to subsidies situations like last night in Adelaide

BA previously kept the TV deal money as general revenue which was a double loss for the owners as they miss out on ticket sale revenue and the TV money.

Going forward the TV deal will be critical to the league survival.

In an extreme example it wouldn't matter the crowd size as the club would be getting the eyeballs on TV which would lead to better class of sponsorships at a higher value IF the TV money was big enough

Reply #465066 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/theadvertiser/photos/a.176602446946.125562.92701406946/10152032961981947/?type=1&theater

36ers on the front page of the Advertiser today!!!!

Reply #465069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is legit (nothing from Media Week yet) that is a fantastic figure and will push Ten to show more night games in prime-time now knowing they can pull decent figures.

Imagine how good the ratings might've been if there were (a) no AFL on at the same time and (b) if the game was listed in the Sunday Mail TV guide!

Reply #465070 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

*cover page

Reply #465071 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Bear. Read the following from Boti and I think it answers most of your questions re the crowd.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/great-game-but-dont-blame-fans-for-missing-/

Reply #465072 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Boti Nagy knows whats up. Always a good read.

Reply #465074 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Expect a low figure for tonight's game.

For what it's worth I pay about $43/game for my season membership, this games costing me $90 a seat.

Understandable to have the figure drop for the first game for members when the possibility of having to fork out for 4 games at $90 in two weeks is on the horizon.

Reply #465075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Perth may not record a five figure crowd for once bit of a joke since its a playoff. Goes to show the prices are too high, have the semis cheaper than the GF perhaps

Reply #465079 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Semis in Perth *are* cheaper than the GF.

Reply #465080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well time to lower it across the board then

Reply #465081 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why? Lowest estimate for tonight still gets them close to the best crowd anyone else's managed to get all year.

Reply #465086 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Boti nails it on the head.

Reply #465087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz someone mentioned only a 7k crowd. or is that incorrect

Reply #465091 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even assuming 7k is correct, it's still only lower than a half dozen non-Wildcats crowds this year. Hisense cleared 7k one, Adelaide might have done it twice, Vector would have done it a few times, but that'd be it.

Reply #465092 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..most likely ninenewsman is 5foot 2, but looked 4feet and schenscher looked 8feet at their interview. ...anyways good mentions on tv news services...........(beautiful kristina, with the lines of a swan, at nsw govt. royal commission.)

Reply #465103 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I would think it will be more than 7k but lucky to get 10k going on what's left at ticketek.com.

Bronze and Nickel sold out, would expect most of them to fill up the Silver Seats instead by quarter time so shouldn't look as empty on the TV anyway.

Reply #465104 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

That's great numbers! really enjoyed the game as well, I will be staying up watching tonight's game!

Reply #465109 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reason early finals get low crowds is there is little time to promote them. People know regular season games are on months in advance and the club can market accordingly.

GF matches tend to get mainstream press to overcome this but SFs not so much. I agree prices could be lower, but what if you do that and the above factors still mean a low crowd? We don't want clubs making losses on finals games when they should be a bonus financially.

It's a conundrum that's for sure. I think one of the answers is a TV partner who gives those games good cross promotion.

The Tigers have been cross promoting with Basketball Victoria this season and have done so again this weekend, will be interesting to see if that helps get a decent crowd.

I don't have the answers but the NBL needs to find a solution. The best basketball should have the best crowds.

Reply #465111 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW - Joey Wright had an awesome comment about the crowd last night:

"It was 3800 of the loudest people we could find in Adelaide! The people who came should pat themselves on the back and know they helped us to a victory, they were amazing."

And 119K is amazing too against the AFL, especially when you consider that is an average number of viewers. Good signs for the future if that holds throughout the playoffs.

Reply #465112 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

i would have loved to have gone and was there for sundays game where they mentioned the playoff scedule. my mate commented he already had committed to work and i had bball thurs + assignment due on w/end. love bball but its simply not possible for my life to revolve around it. would be the same for many other people

Reply #465121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's harsh for Gold members to then pay Gold prices for their finals tickets.

Gold members should be allowed to activate their season pass for the cheapest ticket price. If they choose to not take it up, sell the seat for a Gold price.

Reply #465172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strong near 11k crowd so no fears re: Perth crowd after all.

Reply #465184 | Report this post

Yep, Perth had a Friday night game so expected a normal or just below average crowd for Semi..... No need to comment on the crowd numbers here… Thursday and Tuesday will be a different story always…..

Reply #465191 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Cats got 11k this year on a Thursday night against cairns. Too many excuses, if you support your team you go regardless what day it is.

Reply #465192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to admit I think Boti is too quick to start making excuses for a poor crowd, Thursday night late night shopping lol

You know he's scratching around for anything when he's already lining up 'Tuesday night is discount night at cinemas' excuse for the possible poor Game 3 crowd.

Reply #465193 | Report this post

Adelaide has different socioeconomics and demographics. Thats the real difference. It is what it is.. SA small population, a big footy, soccer, netball, motorsport and so on and arts community and people have other things going on and had a big month with Fringe, Womadelaide, Clipsal and loads of other events like major concerts eating into an otherwise tight pocket for SA at the moment. So what, doesn't make people less loyal to the Sixers or other sporting teams. The crowd that goes are vocal and supporting the team. The team are feeling it and the opposition don't like playing there. Job done. The TV viewing is a good indicator of interest... I'm just happy we have had a great season with a few gems thrown in. On the up for the NBL if they can tweak out a few issues… I'm a happy fan for now…

Reply #465195 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hope you're not suggesting there is too much on in Adelaide!

Thursday appeared the wrong night, and wasn't ideal, but it was put on that night for TV coverage and the viewers delivered in spades. NBL and Adelaide got it right.

Reply #465196 | Report this post

Not at all Paul, just for many their disposable income has to be balanced over the early months after Christmas/School break. With lots to enjoy over March with the Arts and Major Sporting events, the Easter/School holidays coming up money can be tight for many. Confidence in SA is low with employment issues and people have to think about how they spend their dollar. WA is very different and I have lived in both states and WA is pretty well off, that is well known and good luck to the WA'ers,Sponsorship dollars are also more readily available to make the game experience a little more enticing too. I loved living over there and I was on a good thing there too, but I have a family now and and more outgoings. My priorities lay with paying for my kids club sports tournament away (school sport cheap but limited development) and education which is a personal choice but definitely worth every cent for my kids. Everyones circumstances are different and its pretty sad everyone is assuming that because they can afford it, that others can too. That is not always the case. I also think supporters are pretty confident of the Sixers right now so may save for the Home GF game or 3rd Semi purely based on a financial decision. All the other excuses as others are putting forward can be valid for many. We have many different people supporting the Sixers with varied lives. We shouldn't judge and attack fans for not showing up. Loads want to I'm sure but it just doesn't fit sometimes. I went and watch it again today as well but I wouldn't judge anyone else as I can't make the 3rd Semi due to my kids having special events at school they have been working towards and as a parent I have to and want to go to that. Should I be judged for supporting my kids and making them a priority... My family have been to every home game and supported loudly and we are Sixers proud and we will not feel bad if we miss one game and posters want to abuse us…. Thats just poor form…..

Reply #465197 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"WA is pretty well off, that is well known and good luck to the WA'ers,Sponsorship dollars are also more readily available to make the game experience a little more enticing too."
Our tickets also cost around twice as much, though.

Reply #465198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ignorant comment Paul, there is a hell of a lot on in Adelaide in March.

This isn't the Adelaide of the 90s anymore, things have changed a lot over the last ten years.

Reply #465201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason why we couldn't have played a double header like they plan to on Tuesday
Perth to wollongong is a bigger trip than Adelaide to Melbourne

Reply #465202 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Wildcats80, when a married couple end their relationships is it a "separation" or "conscious uncoupling"?

Reply #465204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to ausmediaweek Thursdays game got 53k and last night was 52k, so I don't know what the NBL are talking about

Reply #465207 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

one reason i believe for crowd down, and only speaking from what ive been told there were around 10 of my mates some season ticket holders others who are walk ups on the night were all working till 9pm on a Thursday night, im pretty sure not everyone has a cushy 9-5 job and this would have equated to several hundred if not more fans simply not being able to turn up,

don't think prices where and Issue $40-45 for a Semi Final in Gold tickets is more than acceptable

Reply #465211 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Anon,
Probably the game peaked at 119k but averaged 54k?

Reply #465213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or 119K was the total number of viewers.

Reply #465217 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What did Perth and Wollongong rate?

Reply #465229 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Mediaweek via Twitter said that OzTAM figure for 5 capital cities is 53k for NBL Thursday on ONE which is good but not fantastic. NBL might have had access to regional number too but I doubt that would more than double the capital city figure. 119K might be a peak too as NBL Fan suggests but even that sounds high.

Reply #465231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think 119K was the total number of viewers.

Reply #465241 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

You'd be surprised.. Sometimes regional NSW out rates some capital cities (NSW South Coast/ACT)

Reply #465257 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

For me, it's purely the exorbitant ticket prices. My wife & I went to Thursday's game but if it goes to a decider, we simply can't afford to pay another $90. We're just hoping they get through to the Grand Final series and we'll go to the Adelaide game.

We've been season ticket holders for 10-12 years and have hardly missed a game in that time - it seems unfair that the loyal, regular supporters who have helped the team to be so successful are not rewarded with a discounted price.

Reply #465279 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"You'd be surprised.. Sometimes regional NSW out rates some capital cities (NSW South Coast/ACT)"
Sure, but it's not going to double the rating of all capital cities combined.

Reply #465281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs need to get greedy as the playoffs are so short. If the league had more teams and quarter finals were played they wouldn't have to cash grab so exorbitantly. It's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Reply #465283 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

That's i think the both will go to a game 3, just for the money.

Reply #465301 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If NSW South Coast/ACT can out rate 1 capital city then why can't all regional areas out rate or rate as high as the capital cities?

Reply #465349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's i think the both will go to a game 3, just for the money."

Remember when the Wildcats tried it one season against the Sixers and ended up losing the series

Reply #465402 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth won that series.

Reply #465548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're thinking of the wrong series then.

Reply #465570 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2003: Perth defeated Adelaide in game one, then were up 26 at three quarter time before losing game two. Won the series, demolished Wollongong in the semi, lost to Sydney in the grand final. This is the one that people think they intentionally dropped. Other than that...

1999: Adelaide had home court.

1998: Adelaide had home court.

1989: Wildcats lost game one in Adelaide, went on to win the series.

1987: Adelaide had home court.

They're the only series I can think of off the top of my head.

Reply #465574 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Okay, looked it up.

1987: Cats won.
1989: Cats won.
1991: Cats won.
1995: Cats won.
1996: Sixers won, Perth had home court, but Adelaide won game one.
1998: Sixers won in a sweep.
1999: Sixers won in a sweep.
2003: Cats won.

So Adelaide have only beaten Perth in a three-game series once, and won the first game to do so.

Reply #465577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright thanks so it didn't backfire.

It seems like many retell it like an old wives tale sort of thing.

Reply #465579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754