Anonymous
Years ago

Deng Adel offers from Louisville, Florida...

Deng Adel claims offers from Louisville, Florida, SMU, UConn, Va. Tech, Ga. Tech, LSU

See more at: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/deng-adel

Topic #34387 | Report this topic

Years ago

wow

Reply #472922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is, these are a collect of some the best teams in the NCAA.

The question I ask, is how is our development system missing this.

I can understand (to a point) how Thon Maker was missed but this guy has only been in the US a year and yet didn't make a state team (which thon did) or an australian rep junior team.

it really is time to unearth the talent

Reply #472952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money.

Reply #472959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Adel was identified and in the NITP program for Vic Metro in 2013.
Why was he not interested in playing for the State in 2013?
It was very well known within the VJBL how good this kid was.
IMO it was because of the suffocating shuffle offence and the strict structure that the players had to adhere to. When are they goinfg to let the best just play and show the high level and exciting game that they are capable of?
Maybe that is the same reason that Ben Simmons had absolutely zero interest in playing for Vic. Metro last year (2013) as well. In Ben's case maybe he had seen it all the previous year and was not interested in a second dose.

Reply #472960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The shuffle? What is this the 1980s?

Get these kids in the dribble drive motion offense with a steady diet of pick n rolls.

Reply #472963 | Report this post

Years ago

virginia tech or virginia ?

Reply #472965 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"IMO it was because of the suffocating shuffle offence and the strict structure that the players had to adhere to. When are they goinfg to let the best just play and show the high level and exciting game that they are capable of?"

What is the bases for this? He told you?

As far as I know he turned up for tryouts and after two sessions left overseas, came back after ECC (3 months later) and attended one session(?) since they kept a spot for him on the squad. I don't think he had any time to be "suffocated".

In 2012, Guy Molloy coached U17 Aus team at the Worlds, which included likes of Ban Simmonds and Dante Exum. Molloy ran the shuffle and they won silver - I can't recall anyone on this forum saying it was a bad offense if they played more individually they would have won gold. Don't think Ban and Dante cared either.

So we can argue whether this offense is good for developing players but when it comes to these tournaments - winning them is always the goal. So sometimes "the best" will not be picked because they don't fit the bill. Or Deng as you said might have just decided himself that it was too difficult.

And good for him to be exposed to all these opportunities. He is a great kid with a great potential. I watched him a few times in YL, he kept the team together, but they did lose against a well organized Kilsyth team.

Reply #472998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've always wondered how good that Andrew Gaze fellow could have been if he wasn't suffocated by the shuffle offence...

Reply #472999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with some of your points except that "winning is always the goal" at Nationals

The goal should be to expose the best available talent so that it can be identified and developed.

Winning is secondary - talent ID is primary - let the kids play - see what they have got!

Reply #473001 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thats why Giddey, Purchase, Gordon etc. scored so little points per game over such long careers. At their positions - very limited opportunity to score.
May have been OK for Melb. Tigers in NBL - but not OK for developing U16 and U18 players at a National Championship. Too little scoring opportunity for majority of players on team.

Reply #473002 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

Another one who slipped through the State system. Deng Santo heads to Baylor.
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/mens_basketball/baylor-men-s-basketball-snags-commitment-from-versatile-forward-deng/article_213a1a86-14d9-55a3-8727-f106825aaea8.html?mode=jqm

Majority of these Melbourne Sudanese players come from their Sudanese club Longhorns Basketball Club. They have an Australian Sudanese National tournament which is now held twice a year. This is year their rep ball. They take great pride and representing their respective Sudanese club.

Deng Santo, Deng Adel, Majok Mathiang, Emmanual Malou are just a few who are products of this club. There are many more coming through the ranks. Many choose not to play in Australia but they train with Sedale Threatt at Waverley.

Reply #473018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not that good anyway.. None of these guys will help the boomers.. Our own true blue talent is better!!

Reply #473036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay... so being ESPN ranked and a NBA prospect isn't that good, or a Boomers chance is it? please...

Reply #473038 | Report this post

crystal ball  
Years ago

flo rida ?

Reply #473095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#036 is obviously a RACIST.

Reply #473133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uh, the whole 'only true blue white aussies' in the Boomers thing is so pathetic.

Do people forget we are the most multicultural country on the earth? I for one am proud to have people of different ethnic background representing Australia.

And what about Bogut? Both his parents are born and bred Croatians. I guess he shouldn't play for us either?

Reply #473198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe 036 should be joining Donald Sterling at the nearest Bigot's only pub!

Reply #473224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody Bigots, should go back to Bigot land where they belong!

Reply #473229 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

I think Deng will go to Louisville making it 2 Aussies.
Pitino and his people doing the scouting.
Congrats.

Reply #473235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

229, there's a difference between bigotry based on assumptions about a person because of stereotypes, and a dislike of someone based on their approach to the world. Telling 036 that the opinion expressed is pathetic is not remotely comparable to expressing the opinion in the first place.

Reply #473239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UPDATE via 247 article:

Looks like UConn is after this kid, who is starting to blow up. Here's an excerpt from 247 article about him:

Deng Adel told InsideTheVille.com Friday at the Adidas Gauntlet in Indianapolis that Louisville, Florida and UConn have 'prioritized' him as recruit in the 2015 recruiting class.

"Right now Louisville, Florida, UConn they’re all looking at me right now," Adel said.

“I think he can be a Top 10 kid because he’s so versatile,” Florida Elite coach John Liptak told InsideTheVille. “I put him in the middle of the zone and he can attack or make a nice little pass. Stepping outside he can shoot. He can handle the ball well enough to distribute on the break. And he’ll defend. You don’t find too many kids who can do all that.”

Ranked No. 27 nationally by 247Sports, Adel looked like an elite prospect Friday in a blowout win over the Oakland Rebels Friday night. Tremendously versatile, Adel made threes, ran the break, rebounded at both ends, knocked in midrange shots and distributed the ball to open teammates.

Reply #474609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting insight to Deng

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/05/17/deng-adel-basketball-path-mangok-mathiang/2229436/

Deng Adel on same basketball path as Mangok Mathiang

Reply #475823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's probably no secret that Coach K at Duke is looking at him too. With links to Luol Deng and Mango (as mentioned above) Coach K and Coach P respectively probably are the outright favourites to win him over.

Think you'd be on the money discussing the limitations of the Shuffle. Melbourne juniors execute it the best because of their familiarity to the system. Thus are selected with priority into the state teams.

Plenty of high level college recruits making a mockery of all of this now. Even at a state level, Kyle Adnam from Kilsyth was missed. Tearing apart SEABL and secured a development role with the Adelaide 36ers off the back of missing state teams..

Reply #477265 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754