Billy Hoyle
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers decline in Big V

Don't want to start a Tigers bashing post, but what's going on with the Tigers program ?
This year currently
Champ Mens Team - 2-8, 11th place (of 13)
Champ Womens Team - 1-5, 9th place (of 10)
Youth Champ Mens - 6-3, 5th place (of 16)
Youth Champ Women - 0-9, 16th place (of 16)
For such historically program, who always has such strong junior teams, and regular state team representatives, its surprising to see them with these kind of results (except for youth men).
Is there a reason for any of this ?
Are they rebuilding ?

Topic #34388 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is only one place to go when you are on top!

Reply #472984 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I've got nothing to contribute, other than the OP's screen name is fantastic.

Reply #472993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the Champ level its $, It all revolves around $.

At Youth level things are slightly different. Tigers are unique to every other Club because they don't have a domestic association to draw players from, (some may argue they just recruit everyone elses good players but that's a different debate).

Anyway if the Youth teams are struggling they either have a development issue (recruitment?) or retention issue.

Reply #472995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their best youth players are at the AIS, aren't they?

Reply #472997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And their best Champ men's players are all about to be at College. Will Gaze suit up?

Reply #473003 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How do there teams go in VJBL?

Reply #473005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Champ level they don`t use imports so its easy to see where the issue is, they can`t compete. They havn`t competeted at that level since the days when the NBL guys would play there in the offseason.

Reply #473008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back when there was a connection between their NBL Program and BigV program.....

Now they might as well be different clubs.

Reply #473011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Real shame the NBL and Big V program's don't work together. The bottom 5 plus development players should be playing together in Big V and be coached by Anstey.

Reply #473030 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

can you give me one example of a development player who has improved playing big v and then been recruited to a nbl squad. the best emerging players need to play in the best development league. hence the reason why CoE is in the seabl. no disrespect to the big v and what it serves for associations at that level, but it is not a development league for nbl talent. also consider that it is a good thing that the tigers nbl team are not associated with a junior development club. in some ways it helps to break down the disconnect with the melbourne basketball public who won't support the tigers.

Reply #473042 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dallas Jeffries.

Reply #473044 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

You'll find most development players or younger NBL guys are told to play SEABL in the off season....i can't see much development from the tigers younger players in the Big V.....that is not having a go at the Big V as it serves a purpose but rather just stating what is a better devellopment pathway in terms of level of play and the road trips/extra offseason games etc.

Reply #473045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dallas Jeffries played SEABL.

Reply #473047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either way, it's crazy that the tigers don't use the 2nd tier (SEABL) or 3rd tier (Big V) to develop their roster outside the imports and top 2-3 Aussies.

Reply #473053 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Many Associations suffer at the Big V level as their best talent is better served elsewhere (College, AIS, SEABL, Euro, Asia) however at the same time they applaud those players who achieve at the elite level.

So what you might miss out on the swing you gain at the round-a-bout.

Maybe Melbourne is one of the leaders in this and results may fluctuate because of it, but you will always see them promoting the fact that their players make up state teams and national teams in the juniors then go on to play overseas etc... As they should!

It's not the worst scenario for any Association really, so I don't subscribe to the decline theory myself, more that it is just an adjustment or a period of rebuilding that any successful Association goes through now and again.

Also, it gives others an opportunity to fill the places of those who go on to bigger aspirations, never know what talent you can unearth along the way...

Reply #473054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see Ellen Kett and Bianca Babic both getting clearances back to Melbourne in the last week. Will certainly make a difference to their fortunes one would imagine.

Reply #473057 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dallas Jeffries played SEABL after he joined NBL which was after he played for Diamond Valley in BigV.

Jason Eversteyn.

Reply #473058 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

David Barlow

Reply #473059 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Rebuilding I can understand. But a lot of the other Associations at the Champ level lose their talent to College, SEABL etc and still manage to stay competitive. I suppose the original question was how can Melbourne not remain at least competitive at the top of the respective levels (Seniors & Juniors) despite having and immense talent pool to draw from with their Junior Rep program ? Or do all of their good juniors who play State etc, graduate from U18's and disappear from the Tigers program forever ?

Reply #473060 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I am on Facebook with my mates trying to recall all the dudes that went from BigV to NBL. Its drying up fast. The guy that pulled out Jason Eversteyn's name is getting a slab.

Reply #473061 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

To add a more serious contribution, I think one of the issues across the BigV generally is that the guys now coaching the BigV sides have little or no NBL credibility, so getting the NBL players to come back and play with them is harder.

Back when Tigers started in BigV I think Warwick Giddey was coaching, and you had Crivalli at Sandringham. Both those guys (I cannot recall any others) had the credentials to recruit NBL bench players back into their BigV groups. With respect, the guys coaching at BigV now don't have that.

Reply #473062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet Andrew Gaze coaches the BigV men's side???!!!

Reply #473065 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Even with a high profile coach in Big V you still need some $$$ to splash around on recruiting.Unfortunately most half descent players are looking for some type of renumeration.

Reply #473068 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I didn't think Drew was coaching that side.

Reply #473070 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Gaze and Copeland are both coaching in Big V

Reply #473073 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks JMc. I should clarify, i thought Drew was coaching the YL side?

Reply #473074 | Report this post

Anonymous X 2  
Years ago

The problem is that Melbourne Tigers NBL need to distance themselves from the junior program to a degree. The marketing issues for the Tigers in the NBL are that basketball people grow up loathing the Tigers as hey come up against them in juniors and are always so good. Then you are trying to turn that loathing around to make these people support you at a senior level. That is why the Melbourne community need an alternative NBL team to support as we are being forced to barrack for Collingwood!!

The structure of basketball just doesn't lend itself well to the top level working at the moment.

Getting back to the Big V team. When Giddey, D-Mac, etc were involved and you had the guys like Greer, Corletto, Daniel Johnson, etc playing, it worked well but eventually they had to allow Corletto and Greer to seek out other options where they could earn decent money rather than playing for squat with the Big V Tigers.

Reply #473075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze has the Champ men, and with the exodus to college about to hit hard i think (Uncle) Drew may need to lace up the old sneakers and hit the floor.

Reply #473076 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

In the end it comes down to hacing cash for a couple of imports or getting the best locals not wanting to play SEABL.

With more teams now in SCM and those who have entered willing to spend $$$ it will make it even harder for teams in that div whom don't want to spend anymoney.

A high profile coach doesn't get guys to your team unless they bring some cash with them....why would i stop getting paid $5K as a uni student to play for free in the hope Gaze might put a word in for me with the Tigers......ain't gonna happen!

Reply #473078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seamus used to demand their bench players play BigV, it was written in their contracts.
That relationship is over now so its open slather.

Reply #473091 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

But how does the relationship between NBL & Champ Mens, translate into poor performances the last few years with the Champ Womens ?
And the Youth Women this year clearly struggling...

Reply #473113 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

i still don't understand why clubs at big v level bother paying imports. what a waste of money. invest those $ in some coach development.

Reply #473132 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If anybody saw Grantley Bernard coach you'd know why the womens team finished last. Too reactive and focused on opposition coach's moves instead of his own. Stick to inaccurate media coverage mate!

Reply #485291 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If it wasn't for the "Tigers" brand they wouldn't play in the Champ division...they won a combined 5 games this year between both teams...that is very poor!

They have little prospects of this improving at all as the mens has been a basketcase since the NBL bench players deal fell over and the womens since 2013 have struggled to win.

Surely this needs to be looked at moving forward....they are not viable in the division as the best youth players head off to college and go back to there old junior clubs to play champ/seabl.

Reply #485292 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

TW could they be competitive at D1 level?

Reply #485298 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

In D1 they'd be ok depending on which kids play...part of what hurts them is the chops/changes to th line up, one week they are ok (beaten by 15pt) then the next game they struggle to field a team and get flogged.

It is almost like they are running it like a YL program with guys picking up a few games before college or filling in for a few games before State juniors or other commitments etc.

Pretty sure YL is for this desgined for that type of player program development and not the flagship division of the league which is senior ball and all about winning.

Reply #485305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754