RSS214
Years ago

2014 Ballarat Tournament

Just a quick shoutout to Ballarat Basketball for the tournament this weekend.

With the Classic and Nunnawadding going on it doesn't get much attention but it's a great option for the Country and Western Vic teams.

The way the tournament is run improves each year and while the Classic and other tournaments have VJBL or multiple clubs backing it, a club like ballarat deserve credit for running it well on their own.

Looking forward to next year.

Topic #34633 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here, here it is a well run event now into its 43rd year and it offers several grades for boys and girls under 12 - 18, so there are plenty of choices for teams that don't want to play solely in Melbourne.

Reply #478170 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

Never heard of this tournament before, is it running clock like the Nunawading tourney?

Reply #478187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or no shot clock like Nunawading where the South Adelaide coach had his team playing keep away from the 1st seconds of the second half.

Reply #478189 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Maybe knox u14 boys played at Ballarat?

Reply #478210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games were run on a 50min schedule (2x20). Clock stopped, basically domestic timing.

They are stretched with referees and some aren't quite up to standard but overall they do well.

Seemed to be a lot more metro clubs (Werribee, Altona, Melton, Keilor, Sunbury) than in the past.

Based on the feedback from Nunna- more teams might opt for Ballarat in '15?

Reply #478261 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

feedback from Nunna?

hard to fault such a well run tournament in the best venues in the country

Reply #478269 | Report this post

SF6  
Years ago

I think the clock needs to be stopped more, especially in A Grade. Too many coaches using it as a ploy to win instead of letting the kids play the game out.

Reply #478271 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

you're probably right..

addition of a 24 second shot clock could only help the speed of play

stopping the clock for the few time-outs allowed would also help

Reply #478273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JUST PLAY FIBA, maybe 4 x 8min's and let the old social game times 2 x 20 go...…PLEASE……….

Reply #478276 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

even two 2 X 15 minute fully timed halves would be better, with a shot clock for 14s, 16s and 18s.

Reply #478294 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Problem with shot clock is that there are many teams at Nuna who enter A grade who have never played with it before, nor have parents who can use it properly. In many games i saw there were problems with parents simply stopping/starting game clock when they needed to. its tournament play so learn to play with a running clock and coaches who freeze the ball and protects margins for win-loss and %. was pretty happy with nina because you go 5+ games over a weekend.

Reply #478297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches who call timeouts at running clock carnivals to get wins, rather than letting kids play, are a blight on the game.

Reply #478298 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

A well run tournament, good venues, and a great way to bond a team leading into the back half of the rep season. Umpiring at all tournaments needs to be adapted to and coaches, teams, supporters need to remember that by Monday, most umpires are up to game #15/16 so will be tired, grumpy and possibly not at their best. Adapt!

We did have one issue that I'd like to report on. My daughters team made their u14 GF, our best player was continually harangued by opposition parents, comments like "watch her pushing, watch her elbows, she can only go left, foul her to stop her getting to the ring" etc. said player twice was in tears as could hear all of it. She said to me midway through the 2nd half while crying, "why are the yelling at me?". When is it ok to verbalise ( is that a word?) at a 12 year old girl? I even went down their end to call out encouragement to our player and was told to "eff-off" to my own end.
We did get the win and she won the MVP, so I guess the last laugh was with us, but it was still a disgusting display.

Reply #478360 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

The only fault I would really say regarding Nuna tournament was Dandy stadium. Apparently they removed the water fountains for the weekend and the only supply of water was from the canteen?? Which had to be purchased.

Reply #478396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754