Clydetheglide
Years ago

The shot block in junior basketball is dead

Saw 3 great blocks tonight that were called fouls by the ref not in the position to call (the call came from behind the shooter). Have seen it all season and is denying a fantastic defensive skill that these kids should encouraged to perform. Nothing better than a great block but is being refereed out of the game.

Topic #34661 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

Relevant posts in Hoops SA just died too

Reply #478623 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

A pity you don't understand the value of a block. You must be a guard. Next time you watch a game pay attention to the stuff that happens inside the 3 point line - you might find there is more to basketball than dribbling the ball. Maybe you shouldn't watch. It gets physical in there.

Reply #478625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should have seen the shot blockers get murdered at the classic, lots of refs making get out calls an rewarding bad offense

Reply #478626 | Report this post

Deimos21  
Years ago

SVD, the only irrelevant post I can see is yours.

Reply #478637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously your team lost tonight!

Next post!

Reply #478638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over correction by refs to "protect the shooter" directive. They are currently scared not to call a foul as get ripped for not calling and but when a call is made but wrong, it hardly draws a mention. If I was a young ref, I know what I'd prefer in the feedback...

Reply #478663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Clydetheglide, the refs always protect the shooter

Reply #478668 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Refs calling on suspicion has always been a problem for shot blockers but it is certainly getting tougher. The more athletic the player is in gettng up for the block, the more chance the ref won't believe they could do it cleanly and call it as a foul. I know some coaches already discourage players from trying for blocks so that will only become more common now. Defence just isn't valued in the sport any more.

Reply #478673 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

same in NSW junior leagues. Any block is called a foul. Time after time a 100% clean block is a foul.

definitley an over correction by officials

Reply #478674 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The reason why so many blocks are called fouls is timing.

If the ball has left the hand it is a legitimate block, but if the ball is still in the hand of the shooter, the ball is considered by refs to be an extension of the shooter's hand.

The other thing refs look at is if any contact was made prior to the block, or after the block.

Reply #478678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hand is part of ball and visa versa

Contact before of after shot is not a foul if in own cylinder

Reply #478682 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, seems simple then, does it not?

1. Be athletic and able to jump really well.
2. Be in your cylinder.
3. Make sure you time your block.
4. Make sure you avoid any contact (just in case you are deemed to have moved out of that cylinder).

Easy!!

Now we just have to find officials that know this, is that the issue Clydetheglide?

Reply #478684 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

Yes Bear I think you are on it.
The frustrating part of it is that kids who can block are being ref'd out of the game . They block well but foul. Before you know it 3 good blocks and you are on 3 fouls. The ref who is calling it is not the one in the best position. Rarely does the baseline ref call it. The trailing ref generally does and is often behind the shooter. The kids who can perform this pure facet of the game become reluctant to do it. A block is such a dymanic event in a game. It changes offence especially in juniors where the act of the block is rare. I would hate to see this explosive asset of the game continue to be repressed. Thankfully most coaches I have come across keep encouraging it despite the officialdom. Good defence should be rewarded.

Reply #478688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's actually called incredibly inconsistently, and that's one of the major problems. I see plenty of instances where a shot-blocker gets the ball cleanly, but collects the shooter after landing, and no call is made. Then someone will go up vertically, get jumped into by an out of control offensive player, and be whistled for the foul. As a coach, I've written it off as something not worth teaching because the officiating is outside my control, and the refs are the primary determinant of what call is made in that situation. Higher percentage play is to leave it alone. Agree that it's a shame that it's not a skill we can easily teach, as it can be a great part of the game.

Reply #478689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i got really tall early in life and found my self playin volleyball in the key with the other team on many occasions. But, i always racked up heaps of fouls.

I found that i had to give up on blockin from behind, even if i could get the ball after its left the shooters hands, without makin any contact. If i was defending a shot, i gave up on the big block, and stuck with hands straight up concentrating on gettin finger tips on the ball after its been shot, sometimes being able to pluck it out of the air. And the only times i would really wind up to block the shizzel out of it and remind everyone who's house this is, is if they were layin it up or drivin it holdin the ball out infront...only way i could manage my foul count.

Reply #478690 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Exactly #478690. Most refs do not believe that players can block the ball cleanly from behind without making any contact on the player so it's almost always called a foul.

Reply #478696 | Report this post

Coach Poop  
Years ago

Refs seem to look for the bottom hand check on body rather than the ball hand - the Block foul usually comes from the body check. I think it's a real grey area that some refs go to card is the foul.

I tell my players your wasting your time coming in from the side or behind as they usually only accept front position and keep the bottom hand off.

Agressive movement and body contact usually results in whistle esp the swat down action even if its clean

Reply #478697 | Report this post

Prahran Snake  
Years ago

its a skill to protect the basket via a well timed shot block

Reply #478703 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

This is a very relevant topic:

Last night I had two referees that were quite consistent with their calls and did a good job. Given that I'm generally critical of referees, I was very pleased with their performance.

In saying that, I have a player that's insanely adept at blocking shots for an average-height 12-year-old, but is routinely called for fouls on clean blocks.

Last night the player was fouled out on the cleanest (and nastiest) block of the game - made by the trailing umpire. 2 fouls called against this player were correct, but at least 2 were dubious fouls on a block attempt.

Internal frustration is building within this player because, for all the obvious talent, fouling out is the norm. Furthermore, I don't believe it's right to advise against going for these types of plays since they're usually legal and potentially very useful skills in the long-run.

I sympathize with anyone in a similar situation.

Reply #478704 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Refs call it a foul because they are too lazy to get to the right place, base the foul on the offensive player reacting as if it was a foul, don't know the rules (calling fouls for simply jumping up straight) or just take a wild guess.

Reply #478710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As opposed you you being in the wrong position defensively Ricey! :)

Reply #478712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must have been watching the ball get knocked 25 rows back. Whilst poor jimmy is being scrapped of the ground. Only a handful of times the you'll get a soft one. New points of emphasis details straight up defence on blocked shots.

Reply #478721 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Of course, the OP's underlying theory has been questioned by many:

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2014/02/10/are-blocked-shots-a-misleading-defensive-metric/

http://growingup516.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/overrated-statistic-of-the-day-blocked-shots/

perhaps the refs are doing the players a favour?

Reply #478723 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

if you cant block
then how will we eat?

Reply #478728 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

All the rhetoric over a perception that shot blocking decreasingly seems to be a useful basketball statistic and the apparent over analysis on this one aspect of the game is not warranted IMO.

Nor is the hype over some officials (usually at junior level) apparently calling fouls when they can't seem to be bothered to accept that they are out of position or just believe that a solid block on the ball just looks like it must have been a foul.

The shot block will always be a part of the game that some players do better than most, it will always be a highlight in itself and coaches should continue to encourage it, because team mates and those watching love to see it...

Reply #478794 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can we ban these types of posters with petty agendas?

Reply #478795 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

As pointed out by previous posters: blocked shots are generally statistically insignificant.

However the 'ability' to block a shot, i.e. altered shots, is significant for many reasons.

How do you tell who are generally capable of altering shot attempts? That's right, 'blocked shots'.

If you disagree, go and try for a layup against Serge Ibaka.

Reply #478800 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

i block a fair few shots myself

Reply #478842 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

The problem begins with and ends with poor coaching. The primary defender should never block a shot unless he has his feet on the floor and does not break the offensive players cylinder I.e. arms straight up, the secondary defender/helpside is the player who can be a shot blocker and only if he's coached in the skill of blocking toward one of his teamates. I'm sick of players carrying on after blocking a shot only to give the offensive team the ball back.

Reply #478945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree with dave.

Swinging hard to block a shot into the 5th row will result in contact and a foul more often then tapping it to a team mate.

Reply #478998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A clean ball only shot block with soft hands is constantly called a foul rewarding junk attacks on the basket. Just because a midget drives does not mean a tented tall has to abstain from defending as many referees seem to believe.

Reply #479212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754