SVD
Years ago

Mills to have shoulder surgery, out seven months

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A shoulder injury has forced a devastated Patrick Mills to withdraw from Australia's world cup campaign as the NBA championship-winner faces up to seven months out of action.
Fairfax Media can reveal Mills will have surgery in the coming days to repair the rotator cuff in his right shoulder.
Mills played through pain during the season and scans revealed the wear and tear injury just two weeks after he helped lift the San Antonio Spurs to an NBA title and on the first day of free agency.
Mills is shattered at the news which will see him miss what looms as Australia's best chance to win a medal at a major international tournament.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/san-antonio-spurs-player-patty-mills-out-with-injury-for-seven-months-20140702-zstap.html

Topic #34808 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just read this on bleacher report..
News all Aust Basketballs fans didn't want to hear!

Reply #481219 | Report this post

Franz Kafka  
Years ago

I posted this about a week ago

Reply #481220 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Really?

Franz Kafka
User profile Franz Kafka
Topics started 0
Total comments 1

Reply #481221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noooooooooooooooooo@ I guess Exum starts at SG then?

Reply #481222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurts him contract talks as well your would think.

Reply #481223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, there was a post about this last week but may have been under a different name. And I may have deleted it because there was no supporting info to suggest it wasn't just a troll. The poster has been proven correct, unfortunately!

Reply #481227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible news for the Boomers.

No Bogut or Patty and uncertainty surrounding Jawai too.

Reply #481229 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hmmm... Oh well.. may as well use this for team for development in light of this.

Reply #481234 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is a massive loss. Absolutely huge. It now stuffs up the guard rotation quite a bit. Delly is going to have to play big minutes at PG because Exum isn't a PG IMO and the other PG stocks aren’t up to stock. All of a sudden, the PG depth is shot to pieces and you are looking at Markovic, Gibson or Martin as your Backup.

Also means he will be out until Feb - missing a large portion of the NBA season. What will this mean for the Spurs – will they look at getting someone like Neal back. Or make a play for a Reddick.

Reply #481237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have Gibson back up Delly and start Exum at Sg with Goulding, Newley as backups.

I really son't want Newley starting at Sg.

I said it in another thread but i still see us making it through to the second round. It's a blessing that our group is pretty weak.

Reply #481240 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ah ok Isaac

I have 3 and half words then "IT'S KYRIE TIME"

Reply #481242 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Focus purely on development for 2016 IMO

Reply #481244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn seems like every World Cup or Olympics we defer to the next one due to injuries

Reply #481245 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

MACDUB, I imagine he will definitely sign on with the Spurs now (there was a small amount of doubt before.

As for what it means for the Spurs; on top of Joseph and Ginobli being able to cover the point they also could have Diaw and their 1st round draft pick from this years draft Kyle Anderson aka Diaw jnr.

Anderson regards his natural position to be point guard and also shot the ball at 48% last season for UCLA.

Reply #481250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always saw him staying with the Spurs. He seems to be a pretty loyal guy and the Spurs were the ones that signed him and gave him his chance.

Reply #481252 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Bad news for Patty.

Espn are reporting the following:
"The Aussie is a free agent but sources told Stein he's expected to re-sign with the Spurs as the sides have already begun talks on a new deal."

I hope he stays with the spurs, as they gave him a break in the NBA after Portland cut him loose.

Reply #481253 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Baynes Jawai
Bairstow Andersen (Motum or Wortho)
Ingles Simmons
Goulding (Newley or Broekhoff)
Delly Exum (Martin or Gibson)

Reply #481255 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

shiT

Reply #481257 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Well... that sucks.

Plenty of more shots for everyone else on the team. Be interesting to see who makes the most of them.

Reply #481261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The downside of a 100+ game season?

Reply #481263 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Such a bummer for Patty, puts in so much hard work, changes his diet, works out in the off season, plays phenomenal for the Spurs win a Championship then when he's looking at signing his biggest player contract he has an injury requiring surgery and a possible 7 month recovery time.

Which other NBA players have had rotator cuff surgery and what has there recovery been like? have they come back playing as well as before?

Reply #481267 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Anthony Bennett had this surgery in the past. Hopefully Patty doesn't turn out that bad...

Reply #481268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bad news for Patty -

Opens the door for Exum to shine

my 12 man team would be

Delly Exum D Martin
Newley Goulding Broekhoff
Ingles Simmonds
Bairstow Anderson(C)
Jawai Baynes

Still a pretty solid team and good shooting options

starting five

Delly
Exum
Ingles
Anderson
Baynes

Reply #481269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt he will be out for 7 months. Bit of a smoke screen I think...?!

Reply #481270 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

This is a poem I wrote in reaction to this terrible news :

MY PATTY, MY PATTY

My heart, it break.
My hope, it go.
My faith, it shatter.
My nostril, it congest
My anger, it build
My pride, it unshaken

Gordon Liddy, July 2014

Reply #481272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Andrej I'd go with these guys.

Baynes - Ogilvy - Maric
Bairstow - Motum
Ingles - Simmons
Goulding - Newley
Delly - Exum - Martin

Reply #481274 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Baynes/Jawai
Anderson/Bairstow/Motum
Ingles/Newley/Simmons
Exum/Goulding
Dellavadova/Martin

Reply #481275 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Maybe we can still be competitive.. but top 8 would be tough without the x factor

Reply #481276 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I feel Goulding is going to be huge

Reply #481278 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Damn it! Worst timing for Patty, both in terms of his next contract and the Boomers chances at the Worlds.

Losing his shooting is really going to hurt the Boomers. We literally have no proven perimeter threat to replace him.

While I'm looking forward to seeing what Exum can do at the Worlds, I don't think team balance would be served by him starting alongside Delly. If Goulding shows good form leading into the Worlds, I would be very tempted to start him at SG and give him the green light.

Reply #481279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG-Dellevedova/Martin (defensive pressure on guards)
PG/SG-Gibson (good 3 point shooter and passer)
SG-Goulding (great shooter)
SG/SF-Ingles/Newley(or SG Drmic or SF Bolden as youth? to replace newley?)
SF/PF-Simmons (one of the world best prospects in age group)
PF-Bairstow/Maker (maker unlikely? potentially worlds best prospect in age group)add Jawai as centre if not available with anderson to back up PF)
PF/C-Anderson (or Motum? currently on summer league roster for jazz)
C-Baynes/Ogilvy (or Jawai? lack of playing time and injury concerns)

Reply #481280 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Martin
Newley/Goulding/Exum
Ingles/Simmons or Broekhoff
Bairstow/Andersen/Motum or Petrie
Baynes/Jawai or Nevill

Reply #481283 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am just wondering whether or not we will still have a team that can surprise the best without Patty.. Hmm.. We need some young guns to step up, drmics/exums/simmons/broekhoffs etc. top 8 should be the aim now.

Reply #481284 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

I have had shoulder recon on both shoulders and 7 months sounds very reasonable. I Missed a year of playing for each of mine, obviously without the support patty will have, but it takes a long time to get proper range of motion back and months of strengthening before you feel comfortable putting your arm in a compromising position.

Good luck patty!

Reply #481285 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Damn that sounds tuff Kr

I'm in agreement with you Beantown re: Goulding, hopefully he plays well at the Summer League and can continue that form into the Worlds, could be an x factor

Reply #481292 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After all the great news we have enjoyed over the past month, we now take a big hit with the loss of Mills for the WC campaign.

Reply #481296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dude just seems to have an aura about him that helps spark an entire team.
He is irreplaceable...
Going to be a mammoth task without him.

Reply #481299 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The anon above is spot on we would survive without Bogut as we're used to his absence but no Mills hurts us big time. If we can get top 8 that's a satisfactory result.

Reply #481303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills out is definitely a significant blow to our chances to win a medal. He's the one guy in the team who's practically irreplaceable.

I think guys like Ingles, Andersen, Jawai, Baynes, Newley, and even Bogut all have at least approximate like-for-like replacements who can step in in their place.

But Mills' skill-set; that sheer game-breaking ability ... is fairly unique in our team.

Reply #481305 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Good thing about Goulding, (while we are searching desperately for positives right now) is he would basically be an unknown quantity internationally and no one is going to suspect this NBL kid.. He won't be any real replacement for Mills but he COULD fill a slightly similar role. I would also put guys like Drmic on the team, we need guys who can create their own shots now. Goulding for starting SG I say.

Reply #481306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isnt the boomers training camp announced this week?

Reply #481307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If goulding improved his defense, he would be a much brighter nba prospect.

Reply #481308 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hopefully Mills watches what he eats whilst injured.

Don't want to get out of shape and get labelled a little fat ass by Pop again.

Reply #481324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754