Anonymous
Years ago

Lakers Meeting With Melo Concluded

2.5 hour meeting concluded with Kobe absent? Even more weird is that Joel Silver attended????? Looks like plenty of money to be made by Melo. Burning questions is, will he pick fame and fortune or will he pick chance to win championship. Surely basketball reasons will prevail and he won't sign with the Lakers.

Gasol confirmed that if the Lakers do sign Melo, then he would sign too. Currently it appears that the Thunder are the front runners for his services at the moment.

Topic #34820 | Report this topic

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

From LA Times article

"Executives from Anschutz Entertainment Group and Time Warner Cable pitched him on the size and scope of the Los Angeles market. Movie producer Joel Silver put together a four-minute "trailer" of Anthony's life, narrated by Tobey Maguire.

Lakers marketing guru Tim Harris quarterbacked the business side of the meeting, James Worthy also spoke, as did team governor Jeanie Buss, who expressed her desire to have Anthony join the 16-time NBA champions. ...

Silver, who produced “The Matrix,” “Lethal Weapon” and “Die Hard” movies, was also in attendance Thursday and spoke about the long-running relationship between the Lakers and Hollywood."

Reply #481532 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

The meeting was pushed forward because the Knicks and Melo met straight after. Kobe was then going to meet Melo later than night. It's probably turned into a positive for the Lakers that Kobe is getting the final say. The Lakers' pitch would've been straight forward: we win championships. Never down for long, you come here, you'll have the biggest opportunity to win a ring. Off field, they have the biggest scope for opportunities outside of basketball at the conclusion of their career. The Time Warner Cable deal they have is very lucrative, and they have the Hollywood connections that no other city can offer.

I'm not so sure that "basketball reasons" would be the reason that Melo would not sign with the Lakers. If Melo signs with the Lakers, so will Gasol. Write Kobe off at your own peril, he will find another way to re-invent himself. They'll also have Julius Randle coming through who will form a nice 1-2 punch with Melo over the coming years. I'm also curious to see how the Bulls would fit Melo in their salary cap, most likely they'd amnesty Boozer, but I think they'd need a little more than his salary shed to fit Melo. Same goes for Houston. Houston's pitch to Dwight last year was that he was the final piece of the puzzle. Now this year supposedly Melo was the final piece of the puzzle.

If I had to pick a team he'll go to right now, it'd be the Knicks. But I will not be surprised one bit if he picks the Lakers.

I look forward to seeing how this all goes down in the coming days.

Reply #481540 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Chi-town could be leading the race in terms of chance for a ring/win now with the core crew they have.

LA are all about star factor but they won't have enough to win in the next two years.

Knicks are the same as LA won't be in a position to win it in the nest two year.

While LBJ is not at eithr Lakers/NYK thewy won't get access to the best vets/bench guys to be competitive and win chips.

Reply #481556 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Yeah I would agree TIger Watcher, if Melo is serious about winning right away Chicago would be the best spot, in the East, good core group of role players and scorers now with Rose and McDermott and a great coach

Reply #481575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Raider fan, do you really think Melo is a good fit next to Randle? I think a lot of the stuff about Randle being undersized for a PF has been exaggerated, but Melo's looked best as a matchup nightmare guarding opposing 4s and then making them guard him off the bounce. If you're talking about a lineup of Kobe-Melo-Randle-Gasol, I think there'd be some pretty big defensive questions there, too.

I'll be the second to agree with Tiger Watcher. From a basketball/winning things perspective, I don't know how Melo could possibly do better than playing with Noah, Rose, even Jimmy Butler, under the best defensive coach in the NBA. It seems like the perfect combination of a team that 1) needs his strengths, 2) can cover his weaknesses, and 3) plays in the East.

Reply #481579 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree that Chicago is a better option for Melo if he wants a shot at a title. I also like Melo at PF where his lack of quickness isn't exposed by SFs.

I hope Gasol goes to the Thunder. He really could put that team in title contention for the next two years.

Reply #481581 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

Anon, I think that adding Melo to the equation would certainly make things interesting. We really don't know what Kobe is going to do when he comes back. Will he still be that aggressive shooter or will he be more of a distributor etc. Would Kobe-Melo-Randle-Gasol be a defensive liability? It's a massive unknown. Byron Scott (likely head coach) would have to draw up some fancy schemes on that end. My gut says that they'd have Melo and Kobe on the wings though, as opposed to playing Melo at the 4. They spent the last 2 seasons with D'Antoni playing undersized and it didn't work. Going to a more conventional half court system with a lot of emphasising the two bigs would be implemented.

Reply #481685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754