Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Hawks, Oct 23

The Gong boys are in town and are looking to capitalise on an injury to the Creek Dogg. They have been around the mark, but success has eluded them in the opening 4 games only bagging one win. Even Mark Holden has been more successful, but that was before the clown suit. If luck had gone their way, they would be 4/4. The Sixers have gone 1/3 after a tough opening game against a team hotter than a summer's day in Moomba and with Creek Dogg out, this will test the Sixers like a pensioner trying to understand Facebook while they are programming their VCR to record live streaming through their telly. Wollongong will know the Adelaide Arena well. Irwin, Ballinger, Hill, Forman, (Adham). Sounds more like a line up of naughty Findon High schoolboys out the front of Principal Parker’s office, than former Adelaide players. All Wollongong need to do is to squeeze Julius Hodge into the roster and the takeover is complete. Draw a pentagram and chant his name three times to summon him, and if that doesn't work stamp the ground three times.

The secret to this game is obviously rebounding. In the 12 season games played so far, the team with the lowest rebounds has won only 3/12 taking 409 boards in lieu of the winner’s 460 boards. It does helps if you have the dexterity to shoot, but boards show your opponent they need to work hard to get the win. Win the boards, win the game.

Wollongong have a pretty good guard combo, but seem light on bench guards. That’s why they have been giving their starting 5 most of the work. Perhaps a weakness? I wonder what strategies each coach will be constructing to outwit the other. Will it involve ISIS suicide attackers (bin) laden with ebola entering their change rooms? Or will they just go the usual pins in voodoo dolls.

I have a sixth sense this is likely to be one of those messy games with lots of fouls and timeouts, as well as plenty of questioning calls. While I would love to see a Sixers win, this might be a loss we have to have to get the season on track. The highlight might be actually seeing Mr Fruchoc dancing on the court this week.

Hawks to win.

PS Don’t forget the double header! Get their early and make it LOUD

Topic #35726 | Report this topic

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Sixers by 4.

Teys will cover Creek and he has consistently rewarded the coach with good production when given minutes. He proved that last year.

Gibbo will know how to guard Ervin well.

Whilst Wilson cannot match Carson's speed, Wilson is a wiley veteran who can use his stronger body on Carson on the offensive end.

Peach will really need to hold his own against the likes of Davidson, Gruber and Balls. Those three pose a threat on the boards but Peach can't do it himself, Big Bird will have to help on the boards.

DQ's speed and range will trouble Davidson, Gruberm, Forman or Balls.

For Gods sakes please please do not let Forman open.

Reply #499267 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not sure how a loss would get this season back on track Jack? This is a must win game for the Sixers.

Reply #499280 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tornado, sometimes a loss can make a team rethink their approach and sharpen their pencil

Reply #499285 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jack, they've had losses already and I'm sure they didnt even need those to realise they are behind the 8 ball and need to sharpen their pencil.

This is a must win game for more reasons than 1.

Reply #499289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless a loss forced roster changes, but I don't think we'll see that unless Creek's diagnosis sees him miss more than a couple of games.

Reply #499297 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Would Dean be more likely to make roster changes if the losses keep piling up?

Reply #499301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.
We never make changes till its too late.

Reply #499302 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, as I said, I'm not sure that there are obvious changes they can make unless an opportunity presents itself (Australian cut in Europe) that sparks someone into wanting to spend more money on a team potentially already at the cap.

Maybe Ingles gets cut, Creek's out for months, and someone gets enthusiastic about making something happen. Or they notice that Rhys Martin hasn't gone to Europe and think he's worth a risk in doing something like swapping him in for Wilson and then getting a guy like Will Hudson for whoever - that's two transactions though.

Reply #499309 | Report this post

Orpgögo  
Years ago

why hawkss would leave a fully fit gruber out. their back court is solid with the imports. hill and demos can handle the ball at a pinch. having an extra big to provide spark and an inside target on the bench for games that nevill and davidson aren't performing would be a better option.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2642651/hawks-leave-gruber-out-again/?cs=302

Reply #499310 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I agree with you Isaac...was just putting it out there for comment and whether or not anyone closer to Dean would be aware if continued losses would force his hand to look at and make any possible changes...even if that meant going over budget?

Reply #499330 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Tbh I think it's a waste of money for the Hawks having all of Nevill, Ballinger, Davidson, Forman & Gruber on the team. You only need 4 bigs not 5.

Reply #499335 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

Feel like I'm back in the Time Tunnel

Reply #499336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek will be out for a long period. I hate to say but a the 6ers need a loss tonight, so as to kick start the powers that be into making changes.

Reply #499350 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

"only" four to six weeks

Reply #499362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got a confirmed prognosis on Creek's injury?

Reply #499363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up 47-44 at the half

Reply #499381 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

A few players with duck eggs tonight...

Reply #499382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up 77-56 at the end of the 3rd.

Outscored the Hawks 30-12 that quarter!

Reply #499386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers win by 21 , 94-73 , Jamar Wilson went down in the third not sure what happened though

Reply #499390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went down in the 4th ***

Reply #499391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wollongong are done

Reply #499392 | Report this post

Hodor  
Years ago

Hawks really miss Gruber, hopefully he's back soon. Luke Neville's style doesn't really suit the Hawks other players.

Reply #499395 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I had full confidence the Sixers would win and that the team could cover the loss of Creek. Big Bird really stepped up as did the bench in general.

The Sixers just don't look like a bottom team to me.

Reply #499396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson has a hamstring by looks of it.

Reply #499397 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The crowd could have been better. Anyone know how many people at the game?

Reply #499399 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

really solid performance by several. gibbo led well. and that entertainment that lacked in last game, returned.

when you go on a run of 20-0, u wanna get behind the team and the right music gets that and gives a result.

pretty happy tonight and great weekend ahead that's for sure

Reply #499402 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Did not expect much from tonight and was really happy with the defense, especially from big Luke, and Gibbo after the half. Worried about Wilson, especially combined with the loss of Creek.

Reply #499403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best play I think I've seen from BJ. All hustle, big offensive boards and touches and got some points too. Certainly worth a mention along with Gibbo and Schensch.

Reply #499405 | Report this post

who me  
Years ago

MC, official crowd 4,176. Did seem like a reasonable number for a school night

Reply #499406 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Add to that, loved BJ's game and tenacity. Teys has a great feel for the game. Daly solid in minutes on Court.

Wilson was better in the second half. DQ still looking nervous. Peach - not sure where his game has disappeared to so far this year.

Reply #499408 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What was the crap with the ref telling the cheer squad to move away from behind the backboard while Hawks were taking foul shots in the last quarter?? Never seen that happen before. Comments?

Reply #499409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't make the game so only relying on the boxscore, but that looks like the game Adelaide need from Schenscher. Minutes and stats!

Reply #499412 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Few things I took out of tonight's Good Win

- Gibbo does it all and is a fantastic General and so consistent with his efforts.

- Schenscher is loving being the starting 5 man without DJ

- DQ is not up to it and a call MUST be made now if we are to be considered legit title chance.

- Ballinger still cant play D the poor bloke.

- Ervin was always going to play well. Top player in this league.

Reply #499414 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ervin both kept the Hawks in it and blew them out of it when he was shut down and couldn't bring any of his teammates into the game.

Reply #499415 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

What the stats don't show is the defensive pressure from Gibbo, Teys, Daly, BJ, and Schensh. Creek needs to be benched again and injected as needed. The team was so much more settled and looked liked last years team at times. Thought the atmosphere and music was much better and the 4,1K crowd got in to the game. Wilson great offensively, lacking in defence and leaves the back door wide open too often. At least 5 credited to his lack of peripheral vision. Fix that and maybe find a big replacement for Crawford and maybe they are set. Great to see some chemistry back in the team. Sorry Creeky, sometimes superstar athletes can unsettle everyone else's role and tonight that was evident. Loving seeing Teys at it again tonight and Daly working it too. BJs spin moves were a show bringing his Haka face to Ervin as well. Loved it. Sixers cranking it up.

Reply #499416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed poor guy, DQ must go, not at NBL standrad, for what he was priced at, worth the risk, but not paid off. On your bike, bring in a stud and lets gets the season properly started!!!

Reply #499429 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fantastic win.

The crowd was always going to be down being a Thursday game so I wouldn't worry about that.

Reply #499430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

4100 is pretty solid for a Thursday, I'm sure the league was taking note as it looks to potentially load the schedule to accommodate a better TV deal.

Reply #499437 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Who were the development players who got on?
Where was the guy from southern?

Reply #499438 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Atem Atem & Nathan Larkins got on for last few seconds. Sam Johns injured his ankle at training a week before Mitch did his.

It seemed to me that Montreal hasn't quite got where he is supposed to be on Court, both on Offence and Defence. He seems to be trying too hard, rather than just playing

Reply #499439 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

only 2800 in NZ and they prefer those games - you would think Thursday night shopping in Adelaide would drag numbers down but thats pretty solid.

Reply #499442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a good win and a marked improvement from the Sixers but lets not get too carried away...Wollongong were downright awful!

anony...I have to disagree with you regarding Creek. I think his absence made the others realise that they needed to step up and so they did. They need to bring that attitude every game.

DQ...I want him to do well but he just cant get into the game, he looks so lost out there. I feel Wilson could be partially to blame for that though with his excessive isolations...we all know you can dribble, need to show you can pass.

Reply #499443 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Regarding the crowd, I think we need to see more Thursday night games and even Wednesday nights.

To be honest, I would go to a Thursday or a Wednesday night game more than a Saturday night or Sunday game.

I love Thursday games in particular - sport is so commonly a weekend thing so when you go to a sport on a Thursday night it gives you that weekend feel.

Reply #499445 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Quick thoughts

Schens was awesome in all areas of game.
Gibbo - Outstanding game and best on court easily .
BJ -- Where has he been hiding those moves under ring.
Wilson - Got into the game especially 3 rd but his defensive efforts in 1 st half horrible. like most of our import PG holds the ball too long.
Petrie -- What is happening to one of my favourite players.
Montreal -- Not big enough - No shot - No defence - can't catch the ball and no moves. The sooner theory make the move the less embarrassing for all.
Crawford -- will be ok but don't understand why recruited as don't see what adds to team.
Daly - Teys did not do too much wrong.
Generous 4 k as seemed less

Reply #499457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek = 6-8 weeks. Huge loss for the Sixers after his great early form. Poor bastard can't take a trick.

Reply #499461 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Was a good team effort from the 36ers and solid contributions from 1 - 9.
Ervin was the only one who showed up for Wollongong.

Reply #499464 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Was that the best game BJ has played as a Sixer?

Reply #499467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, that was his best game since he played the USA!

Reply #499475 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

did anyone else notice the Sixers scrimmage last night with Ballinger, Hill, Ervin and Foreman suiting on court all at same time?

Loved that all players did their bits.
Big Luke awesome.
Daly pass first mentality great looking for open options, did well against the press.
Bj Anthony loves to spin. great hustle.
Wilson looked great in second half once he started passing a bit. I think when he drives and then dishes it gets the defenders guessing and then opens them up.
Teys had some big moments. Puts in 100%
Crawford had a patch where he looked really good.
Dq just needs a few games to get used to reading this level to learn when to go , cover or hang off, set screens, etc.
If confidence grows in this group, they will get on scoring runs before the opposition knows whats going on.

Reply #499479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Was that the best game BJ has played as a Sixer?"

Certainly was, first time he's scored in double figures in a game with us.

Reply #499482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But how much of the 4k was due to it being a double header. No Lightning, less crowd?

Reply #499508 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'But how much of the 4k was due to it being a double header. No Lightning, less crowd?'

Yep, spot on....... Without the Lightning, 36ers only had 3997.....

Reply #499540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A... well played, sad but true.

Reply #499544 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Move on with the numbers already

Reply #499546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #499605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754