Annoyed
Years ago

Sixers Cheerleaders told off !!!

So, at Thursdays game the Sixers Cheerquad were told off by an illustrious Ref of the Year for doing what they and all the cheerleaders across the international basketball community have been doing for eternity.....

They were at the base of the oppositions ring for a former Sixers players free throws to distract them and buggar me, they got told to go sit back down…

Perhaps the illustrious one is distracted by shiny things !!

So, here is the question - Will Perths girls be told off for the opposition distraction in the time outs and huddles… Probably not, the illustrious one is not reffing tonight…

What are your thoughts ???

Topic #35740 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

They were detracting from the actual main event. Which is to see him umpire.
You can understand his disgust. Surprised he didn't tell those tall guys running around in the jerseys to go sit down too.

Reply #499550 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I don't think the cheerleaders should be told off for waving a Pom Pom on a Free throw.

But comparing it to the Voodoo dance is pure stupidity on a Grand Scale.

Reply #499574 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Stupid is as Stupid Does Camby.. Get a sense of humour..

Anyway, I'm more interested in Childress giving it to Wagstaff after he had been decked by him, he gave him one back... ejected but completely worth it on behalf of everyone thats been slammed by the head banded one and not got a call. Go Side Show bob...

Reply #499579 | Report this post

Comeandsee  
Years ago

I realise trying to bring some common sense to things on this forum can be dangerous, but what about the image it creates? By allowing the girls to move under the basket to attempt distraction is teaching kids it's okay to be a bad sport. To a lesser extent it's also a form of cheating.

Reply #499604 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Comeandsee - So people making noise trying to put off a foul shooter is also a form of cheating by your definition. Perhaps we should all sit there in silence.

Reply #499612 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

perhaps install keyway size 'cones of silence' to be lowered over the shooter as he lines up for two?

Reply #499620 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Thats why i hate tennis. But to compare putting off foul shooters with what perths cheerleaders do at timeouts is ridiculous!

Reply #499622 | Report this post

Comeandsee  
Years ago

Fans don't deliberately get up out of their seat to move directly under the basket in an attempt to distract a free throw shooter visually, that's the difference. It is poor sportsmanship and that should never be condoned.

Reply #499648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

League directive. Simple. Same goes for mascots

Reply #499651 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

thing is they have been doing it for DECADES...

why the change all of a sudden...

every team knows that if they come to the 'fortress' they are going to be fronted with the cheerleaders doing there thing...

ditto those who play perth in perth...

they are all professional sports men... well supposed to be... the way some of them carry on sometimes...'looking at you worthington'... youd think otherwise...and they should be able to block that out from their free throw routine...

Reply #499654 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Yes its true they have been doing it for a long time. I also admired the talent of one cheerleader in particular with her high pitch howl/screeching i hope shes back again this season. Players should be good enough to block out external distractions from crowd and cheerleaders so its fair game to me. Opposition players should at all times display sportsmanship

Reply #499666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry am I reading this right that it was a LEAGUE DIRECTIVE? FFS look at the way the game is being reffed yet instead you are focusing on cheerleaders and mascots which are part of basketball. Absolute morons.

Reply #499723 | Report this post

Ray p  
Years ago

Being a Taipans supporter I remember cringing when Joe Blake used to direct the exhaust from his motorised scooter into the opposition huddle during timeouts. Always thought that was going a tad too far.

Reply #499750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they were at the base of the ring, they aren't allowed to do that.

Reply #499776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause the ring to move by standing on the support. Refs been told to curb that, still a bit over officious

Reply #499890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the cone of silence idea, I think the cheerleaders should be able to Macarena unrestrained, and I think the Haka should be treated with the disrespect it deserves.

Reply #499892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spank them I say!

Reply #499915 | Report this post

Kendrick Perry  
Years ago

they should sit down.

Reply #500082 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754