Samuel
Years ago

Boti Nagy too soft on 36ers for United game

Is this guy for real. If any other team had played like the 36ers did against United on there home court he would of ripped them a new one. If Marty was coaching that team the other night he would of asked for his head. What a prick. This guys is a joke.
He writes so much bulls..t and brings up the old days, who gives a shit.

Boti if you are going to write anything be straight down the line with everyone.

Like he does with every coach in 36er land it will only be a matter of time before he starts to s..t can Joey.

Everyone just wait!!!!!!

Topic #35927 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

He was too busy writing an article about us feral Wildcats and the hidden agendas of Nick Marvin to give the 36ers a bollicking ;)

Reply #503277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He forgot to mention the Ennis trophy incident in his last blog. Must be sick.

Reply #503278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be clear, he writes to be read, not just to be impartial and state only the facts. He writes to entertain and to keep his audience engaged. Plus he is a fan just like the rest of us, and he has his favourites and his not-so-favourites.
I think he does a great job. I've learned what to tune out (i.e. all the "back in the golden days..." reminiscing, and the way that anything that Ken Cole ever said was indisputable genius that still applies today) and what to pay attention to (i.e. most of the rest) and I enjoy his work.

Reply #503279 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I give a s%#t about the old days, so that makes 1.

Not sure if you saw the game, but Melbourne basically hit every shot they put up. No point in bagging 6ers about that.
Unlike in Marty's team when you are getting beaten every game and you keep doing the same thing over and over trying to get a different result and you wonder why he bagged him.
Maybe from Boti's experience of interviewing coaches over the past 30 years he realised Marty was crap.

Reply #503280 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Not sure if you saw the game, but Melbourne basically hit every shot they put up. No point in bagging 6ers about that."

Not sure you actually saw the game because the Sixers played pathetic defense and that is why United hit their shots. Since the defense was so poor there was plenty of reasons for him to not be so positive about the game. To bring you back to reality here is all the 3 pointers United hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77rG9gvqPA

Reply #503282 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77rG9gvqPA

When I look at it again I cannot believe how many of those 3's we basically either uncontested, or just token defence.

That is just not good enough in any game let alone against one with talent like the United.

Reply #503287 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yep, he's a toilet.

Grizz and Tizz for the future of basketball media.

Reply #503290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What some miss is it's in Boti's interest to write it off as a 'once off' to keep interest in the 36ers season.

If people lose interest in the 36ers his articles for News Ltd get less hits which puts his job in jeopardy.

To be beaten by nearly 40 points on your home floor is a disgrace and we've already lost twice as many games at home this season than we lost all regular season & playoffs combined last season.

Reply #503292 | Report this post

crusty  
Years ago

I still think the music man threw the game!! GET REAL, Ths is what makes the game unique. Some times you win some times you lose and some times you cry. So cry if you want to but the game goes on!

Reply #503294 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

I agree. Boti you have criticised many in the past for showing bias and being a fan. You have slammed the commentary team. You have slammed coaches for not telling it how it is. Way too bias when it comes to your beloved 36ers performance. Grizz and Tizz is the future for sure.

Reply #503300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with the comments of not enough pressure on the shooters. not really mentioned in the article, trying to be positive i guess. If it continues I'm sure he'll put the boot in. And ken cole and those invincibles, even if they lost only 2-3 games ( which is a fantastic result in itself) thats NOT being invincible. Just saying.

Reply #503301 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Spot on King James!

Reply #503304 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Wow corletto hit a couple under some pressure, but the rest the d was either token or non existent. No one gave Barlow any credit whatsoever that he could hit a three, I swear with all his there wasn't a defender within 3 metres. Mind you still have to knock them down.

Reply #503308 | Report this post

Samuel  
Years ago

He has ripped into teams or thrown jabs at other teams that have played well and been winning but he still finds a way to pull them down. Thats not right. The good old Australian way of pulling down those that are playing well instead of pumping that up and pumping the game up.

Lets say that happened to another team what would he of written. We all know!

Boti you are so two faced. Be fair or go find another job.

Lets see how he writes from now on.

Reply #503309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That video certainly doesn't show much 36ers defence on the perimeter.

At first I wondered if the scouting report was to give up the three for certain players and play the percentages, but Melbourne's numbers prior to the round (when the 36ers might've run their scouting percentages) are:

Kickert 45.5%
Corletto 42.3%
Dennis 40.0%
Worthington 38.9%
McRae 26.6%
Barlow 26.9%

Most threes were given to Barlow, Kickert and Corletto. Barlow I can understand playing the odds, but Corletto is a known shooter and Kickert is shooting well this season. Wortho only took one, but I wouldn't let him attempt any in Adelaide - he burns us routinely. Can appreciate playing the odds on McRae as well. Walker is a bit sketchy and Tomlinson is not regarded as a shooter.

But even giving up 11 virtually open threes to Kickert and Corletto is not good.

Other than Schenscher, surely our bigs are agile enough to cover perimeter shooters and still recover quickly if needed?

Reply #503310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he isn't going to write a bad article about the decade-long Sixers front office ineptitude. That's his meal ticket. Much easier to write a hatchet job that appeals to the masses.

Reply #503311 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I was put onto Boti by someone here a long time ago. Whilst I dont agree with everything he writes, he isnt that bad.

I agree that there ARE too many Wildcats games on free to air. Im a Wildcats fan too, but its still far too many. Id love to see some Cairns on my tv.

The NBL podcast Ive been enjoying quite a lot.

Reply #503317 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Yep, I've got a real gripe about Boti, he should be more like those regular and real professional basketball journos that we have had in the "better" basketball population centres like Perth and Melbourne for the last 20 years or more - the ones who week-in week-out make sure they produce something about the sport that their editors will print, and which often get picked up in other newspapers around the country - Like um - you know - whats-is-name , and that other one ---er - what was that female journo out of sydney ?

I mean these is just so much better stuff being produced by all those full-time media liaison officers in all the NBL and WNBL clubs ( and Seabl) not to mention the fantastic output we get from the BA and the NBL offices, really , with all this great work I don't get it why you even bother to read Boti at all, you can get so much more from other writers - why even bother ?

Although I do admit there has occasionally been a few patches of time where not much has been produced by any of the above sources and , at least for those few days, you may need to read Boti - but then that is your choice is it not ?. Of course when that occurs I understand that it is Boti's fault that those other writers have been suppressed - he probably just calls up Rupert on the hot line and tells him to shut them down - just like you write letters and emails to your local papers and TV stations asking why they don't provide more coverage for basketball - I knoe Nick Marvin ( in his dual roles) has dozens of people all over that , lobbying ceaselessly in the smaller markets .

Reply #503321 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Perhaps try a little objectivity, at least about the game.

Perhaps start with the shooting stats for both teams. The 36ERS numbers would win most games; just not those in which the opposition has a better percentage outside the line than their overall shooting percentage.

I admit the 36ERS perimeter defence looked suss, but then Melbourne's ball movement was great, and with a team with their height and athleticism, if you open up the centre by concentrating on perimeter defence, guess what happens!

To reinforce the point about Melbourne's advantage in height and athleticism, just think back to the number of times they got up to take 36ERS shots off the rim. I'd love to have that stat!

The 36ERS did change up defences in an effort to deal with what was going on, but with so many big and athletic players hitting outside shots at that rate ...

All that said, could be worth while the 36ERS coaching/fitness team comparing their warm up/pre-game prep with what Melbourne did. No doubt in my mind that the Melbourne players were at a much higher tempo/state of readiness when they took the court than the 36ERS.

For what it's worth ... I support the 36ERS but am a basketball fan first and I really enjoyed the game, notwithstanding Kickert's travelling in the post and a few other such reservations.

Why not appreciate the game for what it was - a great example of the sport. I at least have seldom seen it played at the level achieved by Melbourne last week.

Just hope they can produce the same level against Perth next time they meet.

Reply #503326 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I will agree that Melbourne got a lot of open shots from some crap defense, and I agree that the sixers did play poorly and were out muscled and hustled.
However, Melbourne still hit the 3pt at 65% and 56% from the field.
Let's give Melbourne all those shots again and see how many they make. The same open shots they have been taking all season and missing as Isaac showed in his post.
If Melbourne misses a couple of those early 3's as they have all season, it turns into transition for the sixers rather than having to restart from backcourt and giving opposition time to set.

Reply #503330 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

King James, that video just highlighted how piss poor almost everything was. Very few players wanted "in your face" defense.

hopefully we see something this week but I reckon safe bet to bet money on wildcats

Reply #503388 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

sistiesrockstar, if the 36ers had actually played defence and forced a few missed shots, they get to rebound and run instead of taking the ball out of the net and the entire game changes.

Reply #503395 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754