Anonymous
Years ago

Would a fully healthy Boomers team beat Philly?

Do you think a full boomers team would beat Philly or maybe the Knicks?

Bogut
Baynes
Ingles
Delly
Patty

Exum
Bairstow
Motum?
Simmons?

Topic #36201 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, obviously. Doubt Id throw Motum in there though haha

Reply #508717 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Yes, they are tanking!

Reply #508718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills/dellavedova/exum
Broekhoff/Goulding
Ingles/Newley
Bairstow/motum/Simmons
Bogut/baynes

Mills, exum 1/2
Dellavedova 1
Broekhoff, ingles, Newley 2/3
Goulding 2
Bairstow 4/5
Motum 4
Simmons 3/4
Bogut 5
Baynes 5

Reply #508723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting topic, but no they wouldn't beat Philly.

Reply #508724 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

considering the boomers usually go down by about 20pts to Team USA after hanging reasonably close with them for about 3 quarters, couldn't see why them couldn't take down a team of no-name NBA players with the worst record in the league...

Reply #508740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cavils: Knicks actually have the worst record in the league. Same number of wins as Philly but four extra losses! Sucks to be them, even worse than a 'tank at all costs' team.

Reply #508741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with cavolo.

I think you would find the Boomers would be competitive with a few NBA teams

Reply #508745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut will never play for the Boomers again, so take his name off!

Reply #508746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bogut will never play for the Boomers again, so take his name off!
Boomers will never play the 2015 76ers, so take all those names off. Or, you know, join the hypothetical.

Yes, I think Boomers would win more often than not.

Reply #508756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well what about a fully healthy Philly team with Joel Embiid? I challenge your hypothetical with another! haha.
But yeah, I think philly would probably win 8 times out of 10.

Reply #508763 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #508765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it is an interesting discussion

"Reply #508740

re: Would a fully healthy Boomers team beat Philly?

considering the boomers usually go down by about 20pts to Team USA after hanging reasonably close with them for about 3 quarters"

How would any NBA team fare against Team USA? Would the best of the best do to the Spurs or Bulls or anyone what they do to the rest of the world?

I think under FIBA rules and refs the Boomers would be competitive with a lot of NBA teams

Reply #508766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Under FIBA rules the Boomers would absolutely pound Philly, under NBA rules the 76ers might have a chance of being competitive.

Reply #508769 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yes they would but Brett Brown would outcoach Lemanis by a mile and we'd win on vet savvy and muscle alone.

Reply #508772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#766, it's pretty unusual for Team USA to get their best possible group together. Even in 2012 they were without Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard and LaMarcus Aldridge. Rose and Howard almost certainly would have made the team over Williams and Chandler if available, and if Rose had been there, they may well have taken Wade over Westbrook.

I think the 2014 Spurs would have beaten the 2014 USA World Cup side, for what it's worth.

And I think a full-strength Boomers team would beat a bunch of teams in a 7-game series. I actually think they'd stand a pretty good chance of making the play-offs in the East this year. They would benefit if Simmons were able to contribute even just a little, because I think their biggest problem would be guarding small-ball lineups and mobile PFs.

Reply #508781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers couldn't even beat no name players from Angola!

Reply #508785 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"Couldn't" or "Chose not to"

Reply #508797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will never really know.

Reply #508804 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

(ordered by minutes played this season)
PG 23 6-6/190 MCW
SG 21 6-6/205 Wroten
PF 20 6-11/228 Noel
PF 28 6-8/230 Mbah a Moute
SG 23 6-8/206 Thompson
SF 24 6-9/215 Covington
SG 21 6-6/205 McDaniels
C_ 24 6-10/248 Sims
SF 20 6-8/210 Grant
some more PF's

Picked mostly from the world cup squad. Add healthy Bogut and Mills at the expense of Gibson and Goulding. Simmons in for Jawai (just giving the board what it wants... feel free to substitute Jawai for Andersen if you want)
(ordered by position)
PG 24 6-4/200 Delly
G_ 26 6-0/185 Mills
G_ 19 6-6/190 Exum
SG 24 6-7/215 Broekhoff
SF 27 6-8/216 Ingles
SF 29 6-6/207 Newley
F_ 18 6-9/230 Simmons
PF 24 6-9/250 Bairstow
PF 34 6-11/245 Andersen
PF 24 6-10/245 Motum
FC 28 6-10/260 Baynes
C_ 30 7-0/260 Bogut

Australia has a pretty good size advantage in the paint. Australia with slightly more experience. I think we'd be pounding it in to Bogut and Baynes early and often. Philly are thin up front. We should win the boards.

Philly will be looking to run and use their athleticism advantage. But their only hope would be forcing turnovers. Neither MCW nor Wroten are efficient scorers and turn it over 4+ times a game.

Philly get some early steals and maybe an early lead. But the Oz bigs wear them down. Playing small doesn't work for them, and then you're into their deep bench with the inexperienced Noel getting pushed around by Baynes and Bogut. Oz look after the ball better and steadily regain and then build a lead. Moments of brilliance and some offensive stagnation from the Boomers gives Philly a sniff, but Oz still win.

Reply #508811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754