Jack Toft
Years ago

R15: Cats v Sixers

Get your game face on, loosen your belt and untuck your shirt. A smorgasbord of basketball awaits fans this round and it all starts with the Perth-Adelaide tonight. It's Shawn Redhage’s 300th and to celebrate you can get your own bobblehead. We know the head wobbles, but does the figurine fall over randomly at the slightest contact? Both teams have been savaged with injury, but good news for Wildcat fans is that Greg Hire is back. BJ is out for Adelaide and Ross has gone out in sympathy. Matty Knight is out too and could make good use of his time checking exactly what his tattoos say. I have heard people getting an oriental tattoo they thought meant "strength, purity, wisdom" - it actually meant “chicken with fried rice”

I have heard nearly 12,000 tickets have been sold and that means it’s time to put the stadium in brock-down mode. Now we all know the refs will load up a few cheap fouls on Motum in the first quarter. After all, they do have to get to their cars in the car park. It’s safer being a cartoonist in Paris than being an unsympathetic home call ref in Perth.

The Cats are 7-1 at home and from their last 7 home games have an average win of 17 points. Having said that, Perth should not be over confident going into this one. Knight is a key cog in their machine and although Jervis has stepped up, they will need to adjust as they rely on their big men more than most. When Perth lose the 4/5 battle, they tend to lose the war. Beal is the obvious man to watch. He leads their scoring and when he fires on all cylinders, the Cats are alive. Expect him to receive a lot of attention. One “sneaky” player the Sixers will need to watch is Daniels. Averaging 2.3 offensive rebounds per game, it’s those boards that matter. They keep the ball where you want it. He leads the season OR count for the Cats (41) in front of Knight (38), Martin (35), Jervis (34) and Wagstaff (25), Redhage (18). He’s only gone 1 game without an OR and that was against the Sixers.

The Sixers have momentum at the moment, but will need to control the boards if they are to have any hope of spoiling Redhage’s 300th game. That means all Sixers need to step up to the plate and not let the Cats in. My score predictor tells me this will go to the wire with a score around 82:86 Sixers way and a foul count 18:27 not the Sixers way.

I wouldn't be a Sixers Fan if I didn't hope for Joey to blow out the candles on Redhage's cake. Let’s Go Sixers, Let’s Go!

Topic #36257 | Report this topic

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Sold 13,000 + already, heard the sold out sign is on the way to the arena. Only way Adelaide will win is if gibbo has a blinder, Petrie is the work horse, it's up to creek, pc and teys to come to redhage's party.

Really only Knight out, Ross is a blow but one that u can cover.been to up and down and not giving much points off the bench. At home, been 5 weeks and I don't no any sport that u don't get to play at home for so long.

Can't see Perth drop this one, Perth to end sure season, cats by 10

Reply #509839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knew that the "match preview" would already be blaming the refs for the loss?!

Reply #509840 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Refs have been woeful league wide. Really hope the 36ers can smash the cats, most hated team in the nation, and love it that way! Huge potential for special things if the 6ers can do it. Imagine controlling their own destiny towards a playoff push. Adelaide by 7 need this one too much!

Reply #509843 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think we will win but will be pleasantly surprised if we do.

Gibbo is overdue for a big one so lets hope its tonight!

Reply #509844 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I saw this stat in the paper:

Head-to-Head: Wildcats 63-52
In Perth: Wildcats 47-27

Have we really played them 74 times away and only 41 times at home?

Seems ridiculously lopsided to me.

Reply #509853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9.30pm tonight on One!

Reply #509856 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Most hated team in the nation, because we are the best team in the nation. Can't count the breakers, they are not Australian, so Perth are the best team in Australia. Just don't get that much people rockin up to games at that price for no reason.

Reply #509857 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Supporter base is just lovely too.

Reply #509860 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Can't see Perth losing it at home in front of 13k parochial Perth fans in Redhage's 300th NBL game.

Perth by 6 for mine.

Preview: Grand Final replay important to 36ers hopes

Reply #509862 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My mistake - he played 300 already (tail between legs)

Reply #509863 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Big game for Joey tonight, match ups and rotations will be crucial. To upset Perth in Perth would really advance us on the finals comeback trail. We need to do even better than the Melbourne game and Gibbo must get aggressive offensively to contribute extra points. We need a solid scoring stats from the bench as well.

Hopefully the umpiring will be fair denying Perth their usual armchair ride, condoning their reckless over aggressive low penalty defense. Perth will undoubtedly push their boundaries.

Am looking forward to the game, go Sixers!

Reply #509868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's safer being a cartoonist in Paris than being an unsympathetic home call ref in Perth."

Bahahaha!! Great call, Jack.

Cats for me in this one, mostly for the reason alluded to above. It should be a close contest, which means the Cats at home will not be allowed to lose.

Reply #509871 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Ill be going after work, havnt seen a game in AGES due to damn Hopman Cup so it will be good to get the ears exposed to too loud music by a Dodgy DJ and overpriced Food.

Reply #509874 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Adelaide's best bet is to get Wagstaff and Redhage in foul trouble early, but good luck doing that with the home cooking.

Reply #509876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The excuses are piling up already!!

BTW, I'm a Cats fans, but cats4like does not speak for me on any issue whatsoever.

Reply #509877 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

I reckon all those carrying on about refs and home cooking before the game has even begun need to get a grip. You accuse the refs of bias, yet display all your own biases in doing so when making comments about how they will perform well in advance of the game. Comments are then made after the game as if through the eyes of an impartial observer. Hilarious.

Reply #509878 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The job of a fan is not to be impartial. The bias is implied!

Perth are strong favourites at $1.20. 36ers $4.60. Line is -9.5 for the home side.

Reply #509895 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Home cooking in Perth? what a ridiculous statement! Never!

Reply #509912 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

13352 tickets sold so far apparently . Highest regular season game at arena so far and just about at capacity.

Reply #509919 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Home cooking in cairns? Redhage 5 in 10 min

Reply #509929 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

What are we cooking at the Perth Arena tonight?

a) Over priced hot dogs?

b) Hot chips (sorry aioli ran out)?

c) Umpires?

d) All of the above

Reply #509942 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I'll be there (couldn't possible miss Redhage's 300th game!!) Any other Sixer fans in attendance tonight?

Reply #509956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That second quarter was exactly why people feel so confident about complaining in advance about perth home court reffing.
Just hilariously bad

Reply #509977 | Report this post

frogmanbaby  
Years ago

Anyone notice how long the last 5 seconds of the 2nd quarter seemed?

The clock actually paused at 2.3 secs for awhile - went back a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things!

Home cooking? Never!!

Reply #509978 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

The natives are getting restless.
Not the normal "home town fouls" being called.
Nice! No one else gets that.
Good game going right now

Reply #509979 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Interviewing Joey whilst he is trying to coach.

Absolutely ridicolous. Gone over the line and One should be ashamed. Horrible.

Joey went off at the refs during the interview - leave him alone he is trying to coach. Its cringe-worthy and I feel sorry for him.

Reply #509982 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

its actually NBL that does the production not Ten unless if you are Mish Trewartha or Lachy Reid which are a part of Ten - MACDUB

Reply #509983 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thanks William. That makes it even worse..that it is the NBL doing that.

They've also mic'd up Gleeson and broadcasting the live feed...its all "F that". How hard is it to record, edit it and replay. Apparently too hard.

I dont want to distract from he game though..absolute cracker.

Reply #509984 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Game in the balance 97-97 with two minutes to go. Wilson kept the 36ers in it when the cats looked like pulling away in the last quarter. Could go to overtime

Reply #509985 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wilson dribbling the absolute air out of the ball.

36ers have got some very fortunate calls down the stretch..but credit to them.

Reply #509987 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perth getting a dose of their own medicine.

Reply #509988 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Huge win by the sixers in front of 13559 fans!

Reply #509989 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

You going to whinge about the refs now oh wait that only happens when the cats win

Reply #509990 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Flopping, screens? Any team would have one. What a shocker. Still, 8 man rotation and went the distance. Gota get someone asap!

Reply #509991 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Cats are cooked for the year - too many out of form players and no matty knight

Reply #509992 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Cracker of a game. Trevor Gleeson wouldn;'t have been expecting to be live at that particular moment when he swore, unfortunate but it was great viewing.

Reply #509993 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Awww i was looking forward to reading about the wagstaff flop in the fourth quarter

Reply #509994 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Win or lose - that is one of the best games I have seen in years.

Even better with the win.

Love it when no one plays defense!

Reply #509997 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wagstaff flopped.

Never seen a guy who camps so far over the back of his heels on defense.

Reply #509999 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Massive win for the boys, think we got lucky on some calls but over there you are always on the wrong side of the ledger. I just hope we have not spent all our fuel tickets tonight.

Reply #510000 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Great game and the tempo was as high as any game I have seen for a long time. Motum sensational and Wilson showing the doubters again that he is a player.

Not sure why Jervis was off down the stretch. Possibly due to match up issues with Motum but Brock was having his way with everyone. After a quiet start due to the 2 early fouls Jervis was great and his tussle with the Adelaide bigs was great to watch.
Daniels looks clueless 90% of the time and then makes a big play when you least expect it (followed by half a dozen brain farts).

Reply #510001 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wildcats80, we can still whinge about them if you like, but we'll wait until you're finished crying over the flopped milk

Reply #510002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it flopcats fans!!

Reply #510003 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers showed true heart and grit. Perth look good but nothing like last seasons team. Throw someone like DJ in the mix, won't be able to convince me this team couldn't still win it all. Teys help in the last defensive stand was beautiful, no stat but what he does. Brock has added some back bone, much like Cat used too, we've missed that for many seasons. Watch this team do something special from here id say!!!

Also so great to win in Perth, there fan base is truly feral so it means so much to shove it up them!

Reply #510004 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Jack toft a typical jealous opposition fan. 13559 fans at game, well done 36ers on the win. Just saying every time cats win especially at home we hear complaints snouts biased refs but no complaints tonight of course as we lost.

Reply #510005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flophage tried to suck the refs in though!

Huge win and hopefully we can take care of business against the Hawks and then maybe work DJ back into the mix.

Reply #510007 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Gutted the cats lost but credit to 36ers, they are looking good. I'd hate to be playing them in the finals if they get through. Great game to watch, crowd was amazing and it was great to see both teams crack the 100. Very entertaining.

Reply #510008 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Wow, great game to be at. High quality and high scoring which is especially unusual for a Wildcat's game. Looking forward to seeing the replay shortly but Creek was very impressive in the first half, and Motum showed everyone tonight why he is Boomer. I still think that Martin gets away with an incredible amount of illegal contact that would be called away from Perth...

Jamar took some questionable shots and should have run a proper offence instead of holding it for that play down the stretch instead of coming up with an offensive foul, however his ability to finish at the rim is first class.

Any Sixer fans in Perth let me know as it would have been great to share that win with some other Sixer fans like the very first game at Perth Arena!

Reply #510011 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

The production team really need to stop cutting to the coaches for 'insight' when they're trying to do their jobs. Joey looked genuinely PO'd 2 mins into Q4 when they went to him for a comment.

Reply #510013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have serious concerns about Gleeson's ability to coach the wildcats seemed to lose their way offensively in the last qtr also he needs to find a way to get beal better shots

Reply #510017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Best TV production of an NBL gam in Australia for a long long time, and a super game to boot.

So many players made big players throughout the game for both teams, and for Adelaide Motum and Wilson continuing to be a dynamic offensive duo and everyone else playing their roles.

That sort of game makes you excited to be a basketball fan, and the result blows this season wide open.

Reply #510018 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Stand up and take a bow Adelaide. Good luck with your finals run. But you will actually have to play defence at some point.

Reply #510019 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Spot on Paul even though I'm a wildcats fan I thought that was a great advertisement for the NBL and would be close to the game of the season so far

Reply #510020 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Not a fan of interviewing the coaches during play, I just ink it interferes with their job too much. Overall the production was good though. Also whatever you think of their fans aside they really turn out to support that team.

Reply #510021 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Loved Joey on the mic, obviously didn't want to be interrupted but remained calm, loved the 2nd give with the comment on the refs... Well they did ask the question and he answered it… Gleeson on the other hand threw the phones away… Didn't like the switching of cameras at crucial times to overhead and the corner view of the cinema chairs.. Jut wanted to watch the game.. What's with the ginormous flags ??? Thought the whole production on court and the cameras was OTT but the game was superb..

Reply #510022 | Report this post

sixers nation  
Years ago

On behalf of Adelaide fans and all fans of the nbl excluding PERTH, thank you Adelaide, no better feeling than beating Perth in Perth and too see their one eye sooking fans go home after a loss. You wait, band wagon supporters, will struggle to fill half the stadium with loss after loss.

Reply #510025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half filling the stadium would still mean best crowds in the league mind you

Reply #510026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems Adelaide's plan A was to blame the refs before they lost, and plan B was to talk about how good they are if they won.

Sixers nation, I envy you supporting a team that climbed from fifth to fifth after beating the team that pantsed them in last years grand final.

Reply #510027 | Report this post

mal cooper  
Years ago

Sorry for tonight, but the refs shat themselves tonight, they have never seen that many people in a stadium before, they will be doing the under 10's next weekend!shame and embarrassing, yo be there boss.

Reply #510028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide supporters cant even win without hating on the opposition

Reply #510029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how many of you bitching about the Refs before the game even started, will have the guts to admit that Perth were robbed tonight.
Shittiest display of reffing I have seen for years.

Reply #510030 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Sorry #030 didn't realise the game being called fairly in Perth = Perth being robbed.

Reply #510033 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Weird game tonight.
I'm pretty sure the Blue team was from Adelaide, but have no idea who the Red team were. Certainly wasn't "The Best Defensive team in the league."
Martin and Wagstaff were about the only guys playing D. At times it was farcical, with Martin trying to run a one-man full court press while the rest jogged back into some loose imitation of a zone.

Shallowness of the bench was one again exposed.

Cats DESPERATELY need to find somebody who can shoot 3's (besides Beal.)

As for the refs, well any complaints just looks like sour grapes, so suffice to say that tonight's game provided a strong argument against home-court refereeing.

Reply #510034 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nobody likes to see ugly games where neither team can buy a basket, but tonight's game was like a kid's game, hardly any defense until the dying minutes.

Reply #510035 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

+1 to Paul's comments. Best TV production of an NBL game in a seriously long time!

Great, entertaining game too which made it even better. Great advertisement for the game.

Sixers close in on fourth with huge win over Wildcats

Reply #510041 | Report this post

Terrible D and D grade decision making in the last 3 minutes cost us the game, not the refs, blaming refs at any time is weak.

Reply #510043 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

paul +1

terriffoc game to watch

don't over emphasize the defensive deficiencies. both teams ran some great offence. ball movement was excellent nearly all night and shooting was top class

Reply #510047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Both teams went out with a mindset to push the ball, and that makes it hard to play D because it's actually very hard to stop players and teams who are just going at you possession after possession.

I've seen some top Euroleague teams concede big scores by lower teams in their domestic leagues because they just went at them and didn't let the D get set.

At the same time, the defence could have been better last night, but let's face it, it's better for the fans the old way when the NBL was thought of as a no D league!

Reply #510050 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Disagree paul.

There was issues in the TV production.

Reply #510059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did I say there wasn't?

Reply #510067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HOME TEAM
J. Beal: -6
D. Daniels: -4
T. Jervis: 1
S. Redhage: 7
D. Martin: -5
J. Wagstaff: -13
G. Hire: -4
D. UU: 4

ROAD TEAM
A. Gibson: 4
J. Wilson: 1
B. Motum: 2
A. Petrie: 4
M. Creek: 7
B. Teys: 13
P. Crawford: -10
L. Schenscher: -1

Reply #510074 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No need to get defensive paul. Just stating that IMO the production wasn't as good as you make it out to be.

Reply #510084 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was actually pointing out the poor assumption you made reading my post. I don't think it was perfect, but head and shoulders ahead of anything Ten has done with the NBL.

I liked the roof cam and the jib, and loved how they weren't overdone but used enough to mix things up. I absolutely loved the half-time locker-room access, that was great.

Interviewing the coaches on the sidelines is a huge innovation but needs to be done better, probably while free throws are being shot or immediately after a time-out.

Miking the players and coaches is good, but is most effective if edited and played in bunches.

Selling the product with quality highlights wasn't really addressed, and that's a big one, but IF last night is a taste of what's to come next season I'll be very happy.

Reply #510086 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I love watching basketball, and I am an avid fan, but first to admit that my knowledge of "tactics" is limited.
I don't really understand why the Cats persist with the standard 3-2 (or 1-2-2) offence, when Beal is the only one who can reliably hit 3's?
They keep pushing DD to the wing, but he's far more effective when he goes inside.

Reply #510099 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

DD is 42% on threes in the past eight games, Shawn Redhage is shooting 47% on the season, Drake U'u 39% and Jesse Wagstaff 35%. Beal is at 36%.

Having said all that, it's not Perth's offence I'd be complaining about the day after they scored 102 points and lost!

Reply #510104 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, but I've already mentioned the lack of D.

It's been my observation that 3's tend to come in streaks for many players. When they're hot they keep on bombing, but when they're cold, they tend to give up.

My comments shouldn't be taken as a overall query, just situational. I assume that teams and coaches have dozens of different tactics and plays, and I just thought that when 3-point shooting wasn't working they'd run a different offence?

Reply #510156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was just reading the article about Motum winning Player of the Week for his performance against Perth and it reads:

"in front of a record regular season crowd of 13,559."

um wat? plenty of regular season crowds higher than that played at Rod Laver and Sydney Superdome for derbies. Pathetic level of research over at nbl.com.au

Reply #511110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754