Nobody
Years ago

Kings forced to move to Homebush, seats 4,000

Speculation is over. Kings moving to the badlands.

Sydney Kings boss Rod Harys says the purple and gold's future home in Sydney Olympic Park is not quite fit for royalty.

The Kings will lose their castle, the Qantas Credit Union Arena, at the end of this year and the side will take up lodgings at the park's Sports Centre.

Harys has a raft of concerns about the new digs but said there was no alternative venue available to accommodate the club in the 2015/2016 NBL season.

The Kings have drawn crowds of nearly 8000 to four games this season, and on average attract about 6000, whereas the centre only has capacity for 4000. Corporate clients have also made it clear that they would prefer to do their entertaining in the city.
Full story

Topic #36340 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would only be for one season though right ?

Reply #512022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that the State Sports Centre the Razorbacks used to play out of?

Reply #512023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has a Sydney Spirit smell about it

Reply #512024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just for a year and owners making noise trying to lobby for a new option in the future?

Reply #512028 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The kings played out of there early in their existence and there is literally nowhere else they could go. Good to see they'll be going to moore park next to the SCG after that where the currently dormant NBL office is. At least you can get food n drinks before and afterwards.

Reply #512029 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if they could "do a Perth" and move into Allphones and draw 17,000+ crowds every home game.

I guess the State Sports Centre (which actually seats 5,006....god knows where they are getting 4k from) is a much cheaper alternative.

Silly question, why can't the Kings play out of The Dome at Homebush? It has hosted basketball in the past with the Group matches at the 2000 Olympics and can comfortably seat 10,000.

Reply #512034 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You'd imagine they could play some marquee games there if the effort was put in. I think the dual stadium option is a good one.

Reply #512035 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nobody wants to go to Olympic Park, the location sucks

Reply #512037 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm confused, I thought the Sydney Super Dome WAS "Allphones Arena"

And yes, why can't they schedule yheir "big" games in the bigger venue?

I don' know the layout of Sydney at all, but if fans dislike the Homebush location, I can understand that.

Challenge stadium was the pits for access, and public transport non-existent.

Reply #512039 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Hope it's only for one season. Any longer could well be fatal IMO.

Reply #512043 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Lousy venue in a terrible location but as the article says, there are no real alternatives.

Reply #512048 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The Dome can only seat 7,000 and does not have fixed seating so stands plus the floor would need to be moved in/out for every game. The 3D tour on this site shows the venue:
http://www.sydneyshowground.com.au/venues/dome.html

Allphones Arena (Superdome) is a much better venue but too expensive.

Of course both are also in the wilderness that is Olympic Park.

Reply #512049 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The stadium holds 5,000 and is a lot cheaper than Allphones Arena. If the Kings could sell 10k to every game than they could play there, but they can't.

Reply #512055 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The Kings played out of the much bigger stadium in the past before their demise and even with a decent amount turning up, it still looked half empty... Really poor atmosphere...

A shame that the Dome isn't fixed seating, as that number would be perfect, even out in the wilderness...

Is the discrepancy with numbers actual seating versus seating + standing around the top? I actually like it for atmosphere, but the quality of the seating themselves is quite crap, the location is terrible, even further away from what very little food/entertainment is actually out there, and will be an especially huge pain in the butt to get there for weeknight games...

But there's no alternative, unfortunately... Just have to work even harder to get people to games and make it worthwhile... There's probably lots of ideas that are workable if they put their thinking caps on...

Reply #512065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hope it's only for one season. Any longer could well be fatal IMO."

Spot on.

I couldn't agree more.

Reply #512094 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

What is going to change in a season? No other stadiums are being built, are they? It's already been stated that the Kings will not be using the auditorium that is being built in the current stadiums place as it is not suitable, what other alternatives are there? Fixing the seating in the Dome, or throwing away money playing to a less than half full Allphones?

I love all this doom and gloom without any comments at to viable alternatives...

Reply #512100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know where the "4 games of nearly 8,000" is coming from.

The top 4 crowds for Kings home games, so far this season is:

6,928, 5,766, 5,298 and 5,174

Reply #512102 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Well they are all past half way to 8,000 haha.

Next you'll be questioning the veracity of the published figures.

Reply #512136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just stating a fact

Reply #512140 | Report this post

imousuck  
Years ago

and where is problem. kings get less than 5k nowadays once you take out the freebies. no problem

superdome won't work as they are a lazy organisation "if the effort was put in" LOL love the comment as sadly the last effort anyone put in was Goorjian and if purely management side Wrublewski

only way it happens is if Tim Hudson asks daddy for the superdome for christmas

Reply #512144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is, it's in the middle of nowhere, there is nowhere to go after the game (and before) and it failed miserably for the Spirit (the same has happened with the Crocs downsizing stadiums).

Think before you post

Reply #512146 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

the corporates wont follow out there so it will die a slow death.

Bums on seats are all good and well but the corporates/sponsors are the key to the excess revenue to keeping it heading onwards and upwards

Reply #512151 | Report this post

imousuck  
Years ago

Anon #145 then play in the superdome. no? ok maybe go retro to Alexandria? you like? thought so, be grateful homebush is there.

or stay in the CBD and get creative, maybe the council will let them play outdoors on Pitt Street Mall, streetball yo

Reply #512157 | Report this post

KBaller  
Years ago

Had to laugh at this story. Would like to point out a few things:

1. The King's first home was at the State Sports Centre at Homebush in 1988.
2. The Kings came from an amalgamation of a "Sydney" and "Western Sydney" club - they don't just have Sydney roots.
3. The State Sports Centre is no longer in the middle of nowhere like it was in the '80s - so don't make out like its the end of the earth when previously you had to catch a train to Strathfield and a taxi to the stadium and there was NOTHING else there.
4. There are a considerable number of long time western Sydney supporters of the team who have travelled to Sydney to attend games since they first moved to the Entertainment Centre.
5. Those crowd attendances are totally inflated. I have been to every home game this year, and they are kidding themselves. Not only that a large number of the tickets are freebies anyway so that doesn't bring in any revenue.
6. There are no other viable options so quite the complaining, its the SSC or nothing.
7. The management need to get off their butts, get the brand known to people OTHER than those who already follow them on Facebook, get their faces out in public ie. shopping centres, not just exclusive schools and basketball stadiums. no point in "marketing to the converted" and posting something on FB 10 minutes before hand. Realise that attending a game can be a good 6 hours out of someone's day so make it worth the effort - don't treat everyone like first time attendees - game day is tired and boring for those regulars and don't pump up that changes will be made because there has not been a single change in years. Obviously the end of year "fan surveys" count for nothing.
8. We don't all instantly fall under management's "spell", some of us DO know the game, and can see past the BS propaganda they try to sell.
So - have the Kings made progress in the past few years???? Maybe its time to go back to the beginning start afresh and learn a few things.

Reply #512177 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Of course they have Sydney roots. The Sydney Supersonics merged with the West Sydney Weststars in 1988. The important bit being SYDNEY SUPERSONICS. To suggest that there never was a Sydney is ludicrous.
Homebush is still in the middle of nowhere.
Most supporters of the NBL in the west hate the KINGS.
All home attendances are generally inflated. Nothing new.
By the way Homebush is still in the middle of no where. Nothing in the precinct at all.

Reply #512190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So now Western Sydney crowds might get a look in. An untapped market of basketball supporters where the local team has a thin connection. The poor crowds are a reflection of the teams isolation in the city cbd, where just like the Roosters in the NRL, have poor crowd attendance to games.

Reply #512299 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree that it's still out in the middle of nowhere, and unlike people coming from outside the CBD, it's harder for others to get there via public transport instead of a single bus or train into the city and one back out.

I actually think the stadium itself has good atmosphere, but the problems that it's old seating (and STILL have the numbers going from outside in, not like 1-20 like a normal stadium and no matter how much you explain to ticketek people, they tell you that "yes, Seat #1 IS on the aisle, when it isn't) and from memory no actual corporate box seating and facilities like at QCUA, so it's less "special" for corporate sponsors, so you're not going to be able to charge as much and there's less to sell...

I DO agree however that it requires some serious work from the management... It SHOULD be easier with one of Bankstowns favourite basketball sons on the team, even Brandt has Western Sydney roots... It still won't be easy overall, but hopefully being able to pull in more Western Sydney fans should be a bit easier with Cadee and Brandt on the team to be able to market to them...

It won't put me off attending games, it will just make it harder and I hope the Kings management understand this and treat their members and fans accordingly, not just take the attitude of "well, we're the only team in town, deal with it!" like the Spirit did initially...

Reply #512315 | Report this post

The Watcher  
Years ago

Nothing at Homebush eh? I suppose the thousands of events out there don't happen, same as all those footy games, netball games with the Swifts and all the other sports like Hockey and Soccer and Cricket and AFL and archery and swimming don't happen either. I suppose tomorrow's sell out at ANZ for the Asian cup final didn't happen either.

For god sake the place has a train line, dedicated buses and thousands of car spaces that are a heck of a lot cheaper than anything we had in the city.

It's also got a range of food places, maybe not five stars but there's a range of take-aways, cafe's, coffee shops and grills clustered around the hotels and the railway station. It's not Cockle Bay, but the prices aren't either.

Maybe a few opinionated eastern-suburbs fanboys need to get their collective head out of their asses and realise that Sydney doesn't stop at Glebe.

The Kings need to realise that Sydney's west is the largest part of the city and try competing with the Giants and the NRL for the hearts and minds of the fans, instead they concentrate on their local eastern suburb followers and forget the rest.

If you don't like it there's always another answer, stop playing for a year, that should make all those who don't want to go out to Olympic Park happy.

The Sports Center is the only place available that fits, as several posters have already pointed out. Suck it up for the good of the club.

Talk about whining gits...

Reply #512317 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

The Watcher are to talking about Allphones arena? I'm not from Sydney.

Reply #512322 | Report this post

The Watcher  
Years ago

Allphones Arena is one of the major venues at Sydney Olympic Park. It's up to a 14-15,000 seat indoor venue, normally used for major concerts and such.

Basically too big and probably too expensive for the Kings.

The State Sports Center is a smaller indoor arena, also located within Olympic Park. It seats about 4500 and gets a lot of use by the NSW Swifts netball team for their smaller home games. For their biggest games, where they get 10-12,000 people they hire Allphones Arena.

Olympic Park was built to house the 2000 Olympics and is home to ANZ Stadium (86,000 seats), Allphones Arena (previously known as Sydney Superdome) and Sydney Showground (sit of the Royal Easter Show and incorporating the Dome, a round space used for dance parties, conventions and exhibitions, it can be set up with temporary seating for games and would hold about 7,000, but like much of the Showground is in very heavy usage for exhibitions and trade shows like the motor show, mining expo and the good food and wine show).

The rest of Olympic Park is home to the Aquatic center, Hockey center, Archery center, Athletic center, Tennis center, the previously mentioned Sports center and increasing amounts of offices and high rise apartments.

A lot of it is parks and gardens, and it's served by a dedicated train line, bus links, a ferry wharf and has about 12,000 car parking spaces.

Probably the thing most people don't like about it is that's it is located right in the center of Sydney, geographically speaking, which means people in the east near the CBD don't like travelling there because they see it as too far away, the same as people in the west, the north or the south of Sydney (urban sprawl for the winz)

It's a pretty good facility, lots of venues and stuff all in one place, but for a lot of people they don't want to change their routine and the Kings relocating to Olympic park at Homebush is just that, hence the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

in the end it's not like the Kings have a choice and any real fans going to have to suck it up.

Reply #512326 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Those east suburbs flogs are the ones with the cash....!

Reply #512329 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

NO ones gonna kick on out there. That's the point.

Reply #512332 | Report this post

The Watcher  
Years ago

There are a bunch of cafes, hotels and pubs there for people wanting to 'kick on' after a game, but I agree with Nobody, the distance to the outer suburbs from Olympic Park means it's a bit harder to get tanked then get home, especially given the cost of Sydney cabs.

Reply #512334 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Latest here.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/ace-new-arena-to-put-nsw-tennis-back-on-the-map/story-fni0cx12-1227201459780
Sounds exciting if it gets off the ground.

Reply #512337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out the Sydney Kings Facebook page today

Reply #512339 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Cheers The Watcher, I thought the swifts played a few games in Allphones, also I can't believe a city the size/population of Sydney can't get basketball played in Allophones. It's such a great basketball stadium which was actually partially designed for basketball reasons!

Reply #512345 | Report this post

imousuck  
Years ago

Happy to see the entries made by KBaller and The Watcher, finally a few people with a clue. When you are on the street you take what is available. You don't cry and remain homeless because you once were in a mansion.

So netball for select games attract crowds of 10-12K in Sydney? Wow as a basketball fan in Sydney FML!

Reply #512385 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

So what are you really agreeing with Imasuck?
This bit? "but I agree with Nobody, the distance to the outer suburbs from Olympic Park means it's a bit harder to get tanked then get home, especially given the cost of Sydney cabs."

Reply #512388 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... I love the indignation of Westies as much as the pompousness of the Eastern Suburb people...

Yes, it's better than not having a team playing anywhere, that's true. Yes, there are plenty of other events on that are successful, but do you think that they will run special even trains all day like they do for NRL & AFL and Socceroos games? that's slightly better (just) but do you think that they will run them? Getting out to Olympic Park on the normal schedule is a pain in the butt, and could take up to three trains for people from other locations in the city.

For those that aren't familiar with Olympic Park, check out google maps (https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Sydney+Olympic+Park+Sports+Centre/@-33.8501143,151.0684738,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b12a4b69860ebfb:0x7ecb9f0b3d02b232) - the SSC is in the arse end of the precinct as far away from everything as possible.

I agree that the Kings management need to put their focus into spreading more into the Western Suburbs, but don't go pretending that moving out there is a step down from the overall experience that is available to fans when the team is based in the city.

Reply #512397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think the Kings have any legitimate claim to get some compensation from the NSW government for the potential loss of revenue and sponsorship opportunities by forcing them out of the SEC and over to Homebush?

In Perth, I think the Glory asked the state government for some form of compo during the renovations at nib stadium (Perth Oval) for loss of capacity.

The Kings however do need to really pull their finger out now and start promoting far greater than what they may have done already. Its going to be a tough ask to get 4500 fans each week to attend their games at that venue - especially when they don't always get that at the SEC currently.

Reply #512404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes like I said I agree Nobodylikesyou. The Kings should fold temporarily for a season or two, 2008-09/2009-10 style, because some punters can't afford the cab fare home to get tanked.

Reply #512406 | Report this post

imousuck  
Years ago

^ obviously me above

Wookiee maybe if there were more fans like you and I the club and its crowds would be healthy. Standard Sydney sports "fans" attitude sadly :(

Reply #512407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you rather they fold for a year or two because you and a few other people cant afford to get tanked out at Homebush???

Alternatively, you could just not go to any games and wait for them to return to the city. That might be more rational.

Reply #512408 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I live in the greater west & would much rather drive or catch a train into the city than Homebush for games. The argument that Homebush is better for those in the west is a nonsense.

The point is moot however since the SSC is currently the only option.

Reply #512409 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... good old Anons, need to brush up on their sarcasm...

Reply #512410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hehe yeah fair enough, I only just realised it was sarcasm after I posted it - my bad. But it did sound very typical of an anon though...

Reply #512414 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Yet another anon.

Reply #512424 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Smaller venue better atmosphere??
I've been to many games at the SEC and with the small crouds there it has no atmosphere.

Perhaps with a smaller venue, the stadium would feel more crowded and give more of a home court advantage?

Btw. What about the new venue they're building now at darling harbour? Isn't that for the kings as well?

Reply #512441 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Not at this stage.

Reply #512445 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

History would seem to indicate that there is not enough support for BBL in the Western Suburbs, as very attempt to plant a team there has failed.
And why would the Kings want to waste money building support in the area, when such support will only lead to yet another call for a dedicated Westie team.

Reply #512463 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Every time you say "BBL", it takes me several seconds to realise you don't mean "Big Bash League".

How hard is it to type "basketball"?

Reply #512466 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think the Kings are pinning their hopes on the proposed new Tennis Arena:

"The proposed stadium would become the joint home of Tennis NSW and NBL franchise the Sydney Kings, ­enabling Sydney to better compete with state-of-the-art sporting facilities in Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne.

The Baird government is understood to be exploring a number of sites, including the ­remodelled Darling Harbour precinct and Moore Park."

Interesting they don't include Perth Arena in their list of "state-of-the-art sporting facilities"???

Reply #512610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that's because the eastern states are in competition with themselves. They don't care about what goes on in WA. WA is irrelevant to them. Always has been.

It's crazy that in a city of 4.5 million and a former recent host of the Olympic Games, as well as being a major entertainment city that Sydney has such limited indoor arenas available. This city should have at least a couple of modern 6000-7000 seat arenas around the place.

Reply #512624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's state of the art in Adelaide?

Reply #513223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754