Brian
Years ago

backyard basketball court

Hi,
im looking to install a 8x12m court in my backyard. What would be the best option?
Paving, asphalt or concrete? or something else? My initial thought was concrete but fear of it cracking. Heard of installing fake grass over asphalt or concrete too. Does anyone here have a bacyard court? What is best and how do these options rank in terms of quality and price? Also, does anyone here have an inground bball system? I have an inground 72 inch glass backboard and looking for experienced installers to put it in. Thanks and appreciate any advise or contacts u can give me.Cheers, Brian

Topic #36352 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if you're in SA, but friends put one in using Black Lime I think it was, but doubt it was cheap. They have a 12-14' high black chain link fence on two sides which has trees behind and more plantings in front. Sounds ugly to have chain link in a backyard, but it's done well and looks great. Having it in black rather than uncoated is the difference. They have a glass backboard adjustable-height Spalding. (For anyone else considering getting a ring - check out Hoops sponsor Goalrilla.)

Then they have artificial turf over (I think) compressed aggregate. The balls still bounce fine, but one benefit is that it's quieter than a ball bouncing on concrete. Might annoy the neighbours less. The artificial turf means that the area can be used for kicking around a ball or toddlers running around with less risk of grazing knees.

I do wonder if tree roots could eventually cause unevenness in the surface, but then they'd probably do the same to concrete.

Reply #512309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the title was referring to RSL Stadium up in Townsville. heh

Currently reading an article about their move back to the Entertainment Centre next season. Good to see. *fistpump*

Reply #512391 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Check out Terrel Owens court at his house!!! It's in the basement... Pick some lotto numbers and win 3 weeks in a row you can have one like this.

http://www.strangeracer.com/content/item/179912.html

Reply #512721 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754