HoldenV8
Years ago

Ten/One TV Schedule for Rd.20

These are the games we are getting on television this week people.....

Sydney vs Melbourne on Friday night and...

wait for it

Melbourne vs Sydney on Sunday arvo.

Adelaide vs Perth on Friday night in the battle for 3rd spot? Nah, who cares. Sydney are hosting Melbourne.

New Zealand vs Cairns for top spot on Sunday? Melbourne are hosting Sydney, how can you dare suggest any basketball fan in Australia would want to see anything else??

Common sense says show the top 4 (ok, I know the NZ game would have to be shown later than the normal 2pm, but its that that freaking hard to do). But then this is the NBL and their broadcast partner Ten who set the TV schedule before the season even starts. Common sense went out the window the moment that partnership started.

Topic #36512 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Nice one Ten

Reply #515947 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I cant see many fans tuning in this week - a depleted Sydney team against a divided Melbourne unit will hardly be entertaining.

Reply #515951 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

Lower production costs I'm guessing

Reply #515955 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The broadcast schedule is written at the start of the season. As if TEN/ONE would change their games and give the fans what they want.

Reply #515960 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"But then this is the NBL and their broadcast partner Ten who set the TV schedule before the season even starts. Common sense went out the window the moment that partnership started."

Because by contrast the AFL, NBA etc have dynamic broadcast schedules leading up to finals?

While it's an unfortunate (and silly double-header) schedule to finish the regular season, it's really not a big deal.

Reply #515961 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"While it's an unfortunate (and silly double-header) schedule to finish the regular season, it's really not a big deal."

You can make it a big deal if you want to keep taking potshots at Nick Marvin though (not saying you are, Mo).

Reply #515963 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

ok, I know the NZ game would have to be shown later than the normal 2pm

It actually wouldn't. NZ-Cairns and Sydney-Melbourne are on at exactly the same time.

Showing the NZ game would also require simply getting the footage from Sky, instead of bothering with cameras, commentators, etc.

And really, regardless of ladder positions both TV games being between the same teams on the one weekend is poor scheduling.

Reply #515964 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

If they showed the two top four match-ups this week in place of both SYD-MEL games, that would give Perth the most televised games for the year.

Make it happen! Boti could write at least three blogs about that!!

Reply #515967 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Uwe Blab

i think boti would also like to see adl vs per and nz vs cns

not sure where you are going with the boti bit...

Reply #515969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the up side, at least we are not seeing Wollongong again. But yes, I absolutely hate the NBL TV scheduling. Channel 10 offers no flexibility whatsoever. They don't actually follow the league anyway so they wouldn't know which games are crucial right now.

Reply #515974 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Why not question why the draw is so crappy rather than the TV coverage which would have been planned months ago.
Every chance if both sides were at finals stage no one would be complaining.

Reply #515975 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

With only eight teams in the comp, the league scheduling can be quite repetitive. It goes without saying that, at times, the tv scheduling will also seem repetitive.

Reply #515976 | Report this post

LeCan  
Years ago

I finally received a response from the NBL yesterday about this. They informed me that the TV schedule is put together at the start of the season to provide broadcast 'fairness' to all clubs. I then asked them why for four straight weeks during january and february we were subjected to games that included the 36ers six times and the hawks for four. Between the two clubs they were on tv every game for four straight weeks.

I did not receive a response. I also tweeted boti about it but to no avail. I won't be watching either of the two dead rubbers this weekend. It's ridiculous to broadcast the same matchup twice within a 48 hour window, once I can somewhat understand due to the telecasts being set in stone at the start of the season, but twice in one weekend is flat favouritism. How the cats v breakers game wasn't on the schedule from the beginning is beyond me as its always a great contest as is this fridays perth v 36ers game this friday. I'm a Hawks fan but I'm a basketball fan first and foremost and would love to see both of those games before watching my own club.

Reply #515978 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

i'm cool watching 36ers frequently on tv

Reply #515979 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I wonder if there'd be much of a ratings reward for 10 if they swapped the games to ADL-PER and NZB-CNS? Anyone know what the ratings have been of late? e.g., for the PER-CNS game a couple of fridays back vis a vis the WOL-MEL game the Friday before it?

Reply #515982 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

"With only eight teams in the comp, the league scheduling can be quite repetitive. It goes without saying that, at times, the tv scheduling will also seem repetitive."

Completely agree Uwe, however its worse than that. There may be only 8 teams in the comp, but really only 5 teams are rotated around all season on TV.

NZ, Cairns and Townsville have hardly had their fair share of games on One/Ten. From an 8 team comp, it's worse when only 5 teams get all the coverage. Thats repetitive!

Reply #515983 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It simply should have been:

Friday - Adelaide v Perth
Sunday - Melbourne v Sydney

I don't think too many would have complained about that, and those two match-ups generally rate well too.

Reply #515984 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How the cats v breakers game wasn't on the schedule from the beginning is beyond me

It would've had to tip off at 11am local time to make the Ten timeslot.

Reply #515986 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Personally the only time I am happy to watch the same two teams on TV within a 48 hour period is if its the finals.

During the regular season that is just flat out poor scheduling, both by Ten and by the NBL.

Broadcast fairness to all clubs? Was it fair that all of Townsville's TV games were away? Not one single Crocs home game was broadcast on FTA. Cairns hardly gets a fair shake either, home or away. And sometimes I get the feeling that Ten would like to forget that the Breakers exist (unless its the finals). But then, that's just Ten catering to the larger markets (i.e. state capitals). Though Wollongong gets its fair share of TV games, but they're close enough to Sydney to almost be counted in that market.

Reply #516006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing surprises you does it when it comes to the
National
Bungling
League

Reply #516013 | Report this post

LeCan  
Years ago

Koberulz - push the game to 12 local time. Simple.

Reply #516015 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

12pm would've been too late for Ten. Ten's timeslot on Sundays is 11am WST.

Reply #516016 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Its not so much that those matches aren't shown because it was obviously made at the start of the season, but even then why would they have the same matchup twice on one weekend?

Reply #516019 | Report this post

LeCan  
Years ago

Understandable. In regards to the same game twice situation, the NBL doesn't seem to give a hoot about anyone outside of Sydney or Melbourne this weekend. Im just happy i don't have to watch my Hawks again. Enough already!

Reply #516026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time I checked 4pm NZ time was 2pm EDST. So doesnt that make it 11am WST?

Reply #516059 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes. What's your point?

Reply #516111 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

As crappy as it is, I don't see why the Wildcats cant tip off a couple of (big) games at 11am for TV if they have to have a few Sunday games. Its been done in the AFL before in order to pander to the eastern states TV viewing. Its not ideal and they wouldn't want to make it a regular thing, but I would rather see a Breakers v Cats blockbuster played at 11am for a 2pm national TV audience than a bottom of the table game featuring 2 low drawing eastern states teams.

Right now, the Cats are proving to be very successful at drawing big crowds no matter what day or time its on, so they would have no problem getting the crowd in at 11am (no evidence to prove that other than the grand final, which is obviously a special event, however in Perth, the crowds come)

For the next TV deal (if there is one), hopefully the time zones are taken into consideration and this situation doesn't keep happening where we miss out on a big game because of the awkward TV time.

Reply #516136 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Hopefully in the next TV deal they allow flex schedules leading up the playoffs like a lot of other sports codes

Reply #516202 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Hopefully whoever gets the broadcast rights after Ten does a much better job than setting their schedule before the season starts.

Honestly, how stupid is that???

Ch.7 don't do that with the AFL, and they show every single game (not all live, but most). Ch.9 set their TV schedule for NRL games 5 weeks in advance which gives them the opportunity to not only choose games (teams) which are going to rate well in their primary markets of NSW & Qld, but towards the end of the minor round it gives then the chance to pick games which have a bearing on the finals.

Tens before-the-season setting of the schedule wouldn't be so bad if they included some flexibility. This weekend would be a prime example of that. Sydney vs Melbourne this weekend are nothing games. Neither can make the finals, neither game will affect the makeup of the finals. The only thing they have going for them is that they are Australia's 2 biggest television markets.

Which would rate more on Friday night, Sydney vs Melbourne in a game that means squat, or Adelaide vs Perth for 3rd place? You don't need to be a genius to figure that out. And on Sunday I dare say that fans in Qld, SA and WA (and even some in NSW and Vic) would rather see the Breakers vs Tapians game to see who will end up playing who in the Semis.

Reply #516231 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ch.7 don't do that with the AFL, and they show every single game
When did that start?

The other thing to consider is that if Ten decides to do a different game, NBL TV is suddenly responsible for the one Ten leaves behind.

Reply #516233 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't CH7 only show four AFL games a week?

Reply #516236 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Channel 7 only shows 4 games per week and FOX Sports all games live

Reply #516310 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

And in fact, Seven don't change their schedule either as they select the ones that they want to broadcast. Same goes with NRL

Reply #516311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL it's 2015 ever had of a flex schedule. ffs absolute morons

oh wait Sydney and Melbourne are the two biggest cities that means it's the best rivalry (probably Ten's train of thought - lol)

so glad NBL TV exists

Reply #516338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard

Reply #516339 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

To put it mildly, this is a joke. A really bad joke.

One of the NBL's biggest issues when signing the next broadcast deal should definitely be no fixed TV schedule. Flexibility to change TV games is a must that would allow for situations just like this weekend.

And true fairness to all clubs should be non-negotiable, not this perceived BS we have now. Townsville is struggling as it is and with the TV schedule they would have lost out badly because potential sponsors wouldn't have been overly enthused about not getting national TV coverage. I know the RSL Stadium isn't exactly the best look for a national competition that is on commercial FTA television, but should that have excluded them from getting even one televised home game?

And I'll admit my error on the AFL thing. But I was right about the NRL :p

Reply #516539 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Even NRL don't do it. Channel 9 picks the matches weeks ahead and they won't change it regardless, as they only pick the high ratings matches. If the team that they want to do well is doing badly or another match is tight on the day with not much separating between them. Then Nine won't change it. They are stuck with what they chose. Unless if a miracle happens, which forces the network to change it by a cyclone.

Reply #516589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe find a broadcaster that can cope with flexibility. Pretty obvious really. It may be all that was available then and in the future. Rest assured Nick Marvin is now supposedly charged with TV rights for next season. Nuff said.

Reply #516615 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754