Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats face budget hole after Healthway scandal?

The Perth Wildcats are facing a $500,000 budget black hole in the wake of Western Australia's Healthway sponsorship scandal.

The NBL champions secured the most lucrative deal in franchise history back in 2012 worth $1.5 million over three years, however that deal is due to expire at the end of this season.
Earlier this week, Healthway was the subject of an unfavourable report by the Public Sector Commission, which detailed the misuse of tickets and hospitality by some board members and staff.

The investigation found $220,000 worth of tickets to sport and music events, including Perth Wildcats fixtures, had been misused.
Perth fans, is there much in this? Real problem or just a speed bump?

Full story

Topic #36624 | Report this topic

el presidente  
Years ago

Speed bump. Their profit last season was more than this sponsorship per season and appeared to be operating in a similar environment with similar crowds this season.
(http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/wildcats_slam_dunk_for_jack_bendat_xXQ2p2p7WYTDIEN4TZBDdJ)

And off all the NBL teams, the Wildcats are probably most capable of securing alternate sponsorship should a new deal not be inked.

Reply #518939 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Nothing to say that the Sponsorship wont be renewed or a new Major sponsor to be signed though. I imagine that unlike the NBL, they wouldn't have as much trouble securing a major sponsor if Healthway don't renew

Reply #518940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminds me of that phone company that sponsored the wildcats about ten years ago.

Reply #518964 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wasn't onetel was it? lol

Reply #518993 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anyone find any good news, anything?

Reply #519002 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nah, the SCANDAL is the Healthway chiefs upgrading their boxes and giving tickets to family and friends. Part of a much wider scandal, involving them misusing perks. Healthway is a major sponsor of sports in WA, and in return the Cats promote campaigns such "Alcohol, think again," etc. The chairperson has been forced to quit. It may me that the next deal is less lucrative, but at the same time the government can't be seen to be penalising the Cats for the misdeeds of their appointed people.

Reply #519004 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Its a bit of a concern I think. Healthway may now consider scaling back its sponsorship commitment to sports in general due to this scandal. Even though its of course no fault of the Wildcats. Despite the Wildcats being an absolute powerhouse in WA, it may not be worth Healthway's trouble to continue on as a sponsor and now is probably a good time for them to get out of this controversy, at least for a little while.

Its been a pretty big deal in WA and has been on the front pages of the news. Dazz is correct in that its part of a wider issue, however I would be worried as a Cats fan that the sponsorship may not be renewed because of it.

With the WA economy slowing down a bit, I wouldn't be so confident that a replacement sponsor can be found so easily if Healthway don't renew.

Reply #519007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats asking for more money than the last deal I hear

Reply #519020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised. I've spoken to one of the former major sponsors who were loyal but had to bail because the increased patronage from the move has made them big headed and asking for insane increases.

Reply #519214 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Won't affect them if there is no NBL next season.

Reply #519232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754