whatisit
Years ago

shot clock reset

in the NBL, after an attempted shot that hits the ring, and an offensive rebound , the shot clock is reset to 14 secs.

If the shot goes up with more than 14 secs on the clock, is it reset to 14secs, or allowed to continue to run down? IE: is the clock reset to 14 secs on every attempt, or only when there is less than 14secs left on the clock?

Topic #36645 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of whether the shot was taken above or below 14 its always reset to 14 if the offence regain possession

Reply #519529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if you take a shot and get the OR with 20secs on the clock it drops to 14

Reply #519555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YES, if you take a shot with 23 on the clock, it hits the ring and is rebounded by the same team that took the shot ie offensive rebound the shot clock device will be reset to 14. If you take a shot when the shot clock is on 19 it hits the ring off reb taken it resets to 14, if it is on 4 shot taken off reb taken it resets to 14.

UNLESS you are in a stadium that does not have the facility to reset down, some I believe where Perth Waves played and at Gong and Sydney, the shot clock will remain on 19 if it is an off reb, but that is equipment based not ruled based.

Reply #519556 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Can you quote the rules to support your answer? That doesn't seem right.

A foul under 14 seconds resets the shot clock, but over 14 seconds and if doesn't. Why would a shot be any different?

Reply #519575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CAUSE playmakerpro if you have watched any NBL this season and WNBL this last season the rules changed back on 1/10/15 check your rule book. It has been in place since then in any league that started after 1/10.

Reply #519583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

29.2.3. After the ball has touched the ring of the opponents' basket, the shot clock shall be reset to
• 24 seconds, if the opposing team gains control of the ball.
• 14 seconds, if the team which regains control of the ball is the same team that was in control of the ball before the ball touched the ring.

Reply #519587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if that isnt good enough go to the fiba interpretation document 2014.

29/50-32 statement

Then example 29/50-34

Reply #519588 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A foul under 14 seconds resets the shot clock, but over 14 seconds and if doesn't. Why would a shot be any different?
Because the offensive team can choose to shoot whenever they want. Allowing the defensive team to run ten seconds off the shot clock by immediately fouling would be silly.

Reply #519589 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

koberulz, you misinterpreted my statement: I meant exactly what you said, but with regards to shooting. I just find it odd that the offense loses seconds off the shot clock (when >14 remaining) just because they took an early shot.

583, no need to be a dickhead. It was an honest question, not a personal attack... I asked for a quote from the rulebook so I wouldn't get subjective responses. That's all.

Thanks 587, that's what I was after.

Reply #519604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

playmaker both 583 and 587 was me, but i couldn't find the rule book at the time of the first post. However I am still bemused that anyone who has watched NBL or WNBL can not be aware that the rule changed, wasn't a person attack.

Reply #519641 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Quite simple really: I haven't been able to attend a game in person this season, and the shot clock isn't displayed on NBL and WNBL FTA broadcasts until the final 8 seconds or so (from memory). With the WNBL you're lucky to have the scoreboard displayed, let alone the shot clock.

I knew about rule changes regarding the charge circle and limited number of timeouts late-game, but not this. Given that I never operate a shot clock and it has little bearing on games, I've also had no need to.

Reply #519645 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I just find it odd that the offense loses seconds off the shot clock (when >14 remaining) just because they took an early shot.
They're free to not shoot if they don't want to lose the time. If they do choose to shoot, what do they need all the extra time for?

Reply #519653 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What do you mean "what do they need all the extra time for"? Why is having 16 seconds remaining better than 2? Because it's more time, and therefore more opportunities to get off a quality shot.

I understand why the shot clock should be reset to 14, not 24 when the offense re-gains possession after the ball hits the rim, but I can only assume the lack of distinction between time left on the shot clock is about simplifying for stats officials rather than on-court (quality) reasons.

Reply #519679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playmaker I believe the rationale behind it is to make the game quicker and more entertaining. rather than taking a shot with 3 on shot clock, getting the rebound and having an entire new 24, offensive teams now have to run a quick offensive set to get another shot up, more shots, more scores, game not bogged down. for anyone who has done shot clock whether it be on juniors, seniors, or national league it is difficult to implement CERTAINLY NOT designed to make the shot clock operator life easier. certainly designed to make the game quicker and more entertaining.

Reply #519684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#684 you are 100% correct

Reply #519697 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Playmaker I believe the rationale behind it is to make the game quicker and more entertaining. rather than taking a shot with 3 on shot clock, getting the rebound and having an entire new 24, offensive teams now have to run a quick offensive set to get another shot up, more shots, more scores, game not bogged down."

I'm not arguing against this...... hence I literally just posted: "I understand why the shot clock should be reset to 14, not 24 when the offense re-gains possession after the ball hits the rim".

"for anyone who has done shot clock whether it be on juniors, seniors, or national league it is difficult to implement CERTAINLY NOT designed to make the shot clock operator life easier. certainly designed to make the game quicker and more entertaining."

I was referring to a shot clock reset to 14 regardless of the time remaining: that is a simplification over a reset depending on how much time remains on the shot clock (i.e. above or below 14 seconds).

Reply #519699 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

684 is 100% missing my point

Reply #519701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playmaker. Its not about making the shot clock operators job simpler. Thats the point. I may make it simpler but its about the speed of the offence.

Reply #519710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people actually watch nbl I think that has got to be applauded how they can put up with how crap the league is.

Reply #519725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couple of questions. Does the shot clock reset to 24 if a foul is given with 15 seconds on the shot clock?
Secondly what if a team gets an offensive board from a free throw. What happens then surely they should only have 14 seconds to put up a shot but from what I have seen it gets reset to 24 even though it is an offensive rebound?

Reply #519729 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

If offensive team is fouled in front court and there's no shots, if above 14 it stays where it is. If showing less than 14 it's reset to 14.
If offensive rebound off a missed free throw, it is reset to 14 (or should be - incorrect if not).

Reply #519744 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What do you mean "what do they need all the extra time for"? Why is having 16 seconds remaining better than 2? Because it's more time, and therefore more opportunities to get off a quality shot.
Sure, and it would be even better if it reset to 160 on an offensive rebound, but it doesn't.

The first ten seconds is for getting the ball up the court and getting the offense started. Once you've put a shot up, you don't need it.

Reply #519761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754