Dazz
Years ago

Any support for a Fremantle NBL team?

I appreciate this is predominantly a SA forum, but thought I would raise the topic for discussion.

Since the Wildcats first came to prominence in the early 90's, their has been talk of a 2nd WA NBL team in Fremantle.
And a 2nd team for the NSL, AFL, etc. Only AFL came to fruition.

IF it worked (lets start with that assumption) the benefits would be enormous:
Another sustainable team for the NBL.
"Western Double" would save on average travel cost.
Interstate teams would play more games at PA, so lessening HCA.
"Western Derbies" would be hotly contested and big local TV winners. Plus the inevitable media hype would boost the profile of the NBL in Perth.
Over time it would break the Cats stranglehold on the WA market, effectively bringing them back to the pack.

So, the $64k question; would it work?
To be honest, I don't know...
Pros:
Luc Longley is a passionate Freo guy, and would make a good "number 1 ticket holder.
Freo does have a separate identity to Perth, of which residents are passionate & proud.
There exists a NOR v SOR rivalry in Perth.
Half of the metro SBL teams are SOR
We have an excellent venue for Basketball.
Thanks to the Cats NBL already has a reasonable profile in WA.
Wa has received a lot of interstate migration, so there would be basketball fans ready to support a "Not the Wildcats" team.
Cons:
The Cats have been dominant for 25 years, that's a tough hold to break.
There is no "Fremantle" SBL team, so I don't know how much actual basketball support there is within Freo itself.
ANY new team will require somebody with DEEP pockets. Not sure who that could be for Freo.
Not sure if Freo itself has a decent base for Basketball, they might have to be based out of Cockburn (like the Dockers.)
Once they attracted decent crowds, they would have to play at PERTH Arena. (Playing at Subi has worked fine for the Dockers, but their members marched in the streets when it was proposed.)
Marvin and the Bendat family are happy to support a team in Brisbane and elsewhere, but I doubt they would be welcoming of a direct competitor.
The mining boom is over, and things are getting a lot tougher in the West. There isn't the same money floating around.

Topic #36678 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth already get big crowds, so what's in it for them? They would probably just vote it down. The rival team could nab some talent who wouldn't have to uproot and move interstate to take a bigger salary or role with the other team.

Would the second team play from the same venue? If so, it might not be affordable without a large crowd - something a new team would struggle with.

Reply #520313 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"their has been talk of a 2nd WA NBL team in Fremantle."

Can't remember the last time I heard that mentioned. I dont think the idea has ever had any serious discussion.

Reply #520315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

massive facepalm re: this topic

Reply #520317 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think a Fremantle team would eat too much into the Wildcats Market. If anything maybe a team in Bunbury. I believe the SBL team Bunbury City Slammers has a decent following and its geographically far enough from Perth to not impact the Wildcats.

Reply #520318 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I am a 36er supporter living in Perth.

The thing that stops me regularly attending NBL games is sitting with 12,000 Wildcats fans.

A new team in WA would see me attend more games because there isn't the same animosity towards other clubs as there is to the Wildcats.

Petty I know, but thats the way it is.

Reply #520322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The novelty of basketball in the city is already wearing off. It won't have to drop much before playing in the uber expensive Arena becomes unaffordable. So Freo taking more fans away is exactly what basketball does not need. Where would they play anyway? Challenge Stadium? Where you barely break even on a full house?
At the Arena? So you take Perth's basketball fans and dilute them across 2 teams and twice as many games?

Get a grip Dazz

Reply #520324 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"The novelty of basketball in the city is already wearing off."

Ah, what?

Reply #520325 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

No.

/end thread

Reply #520333 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

As a hypothetical only - I can see a 2nd WA team way in the future. Not right now though. The Wildcats are still in their early days of getting great crowds at the Arena. For any confidence of a second team coming in, the Wildcats would need to at least have this current level of support sustainable for many more years to prove its worth it.

Its probably too risky for the NBL to bring a second team in and risk the Wildcats juggernaut by possibly taking fans away from them. Plus in WA, the Wildcats ARE basketball and are well liked - unlike Melbourne or Sydney where more than 1 team could represent their city.

I also wouldn't bother calling it Fremantle either. Fremantle is hardly a basketball heartland and is not the same as the football connection they have with the Dockers.

I do however see more fans supporting a 2nd WA team than there is currently for Wollongong or Townsville and possibly even Sydney after a few years. So its not without consideration down the track.

Reply #520336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ah, what?"

Did you see how empty the place was for the semi final? Lowest crowd for the year. Members will turn up for regular season games because they have already paid for them but a bad SF crowd is telling IMO. Totally different to previous seasons there.
I expect memberships to plummet for next season. Cats have become too big and arrogant a club when it comes to how they treat fans. Ticket prices maybe are not fair to compare directly with other clubs but how about merch? Same manufacturer and same cost for everyone. Actually probably cheaper for the Cats due to bulk orders. Yet they charge heaps more for a player jersey than other teams.

Reply #520340 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Since some people clearly failed at basic English comprehension, let me spell it out.
(i) I am a diehard Cats fan, I will follow them to my grave, so obviously I have no interest in a Fremantle team.
(ii) As I said, I am raising this concept for discussion...
(iii) As I said, I don't know if it would work.

A regional city is out of the question for WA. About the only one that might work is Kalgoorlie. Might have to wait a few years, and they would have to be called the "Boomers." They would have a great few seasons, then fade away almost to nothing, then come back, etc.

Venue wise, I think they would struggle. As mentioned I can't think of even a decent base in Freo itself, might have to go to Cockburn. As for playing, Challenge would be an option in the early years, (apart from Cats games) but again not exactly Freo. However to be sustainable they would need to be aiming for the Arena eventually.

As mentioned Marvin & the Bendats would oppose it, so it would need a BIG Financial backer to convince the NBL. (Maybe they could interest Gina, NOBODY opposes her.)

As for crowd dilution, not necessarily a completely bad thing, but inherent in the question of "would it work?" is the issue of whether Perth can sustain two power teams, each getting 10k+ to the game.

As for "the novelty of basketball wearing off," seriously is there no way to ban idiot trolls from this board? The "novelty of basketball" has been going strong for around 30 years in Perth.

Reply #520342 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Did you see how empty the place was for the semi final? "

Is this a really poor attempt at trolling? They had a record average attendance and record membership numbers this year. How does that in any shape or volume translate to a decline ?

The small crowd at the Arena for the semi final was due to a few factors, the main ones being that it was a long weekend here (where a lot of families go away) and it was also the weekend of the Future Music festival.

You cant base your assumption on one piece of data when the rest of the data points massively in the other direction.

Reply #520346 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Did you see how empty the place was for the semi final? Lowest crowd for the year. "

There were other reasons that contributed to the low crowd. To just put it down to the novelty wearing off is not taking everything in to consideration.

Reply #520347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only time will tell for sure Train but I am not trolling when I say I expect a big drop in memberships for next season.
On the back of a title and of James Ennis yes a heap of people jumped on the bandwagon. They then watched a season of mediocre and overpriced basketball and IMO they sent a message when it was time to buy tickets again, at semi final time.

Reply #520348 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im a bit confused - Why would you mention Fremantle in the topic heading, but then somewhat sway against it in your post? I agree with what you said about Fremantle, so therefore why mention it to begin with? Just because its different to Perth doesn't make it a reasonable argument. Joondalup, Mandurah or Eastern Suburbs (as an example) might have just as much traction as Fremantle, or even more.

A lot of the points you raised against the proposal (eg needing a suitable venue) would be enough of an argument not to persist with a 2nd team anyway.

Im not for it, but not against the idea in a few years time.

Reply #520349 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"The club saw its membership base grow to an all-time record of 9,650.

As a result of an increased membership base, the team played in front of bigger crowds than it ever has in its 32 year history, with an average of 12,140 fans attending all 15 home games (including Sunday's semi-final).

On January 16, the Wildcats played in front of a crowd of 13,559 - the biggest home attendance in their history."

Novelty. Worn off.

Reply #520350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cats have become too big and arrogant a club when it comes to how they treat fans."

There are a lot of jaded former members and sponsors of the Wildcats in Perth. A second team could capitalise on that, but obviously that's not enough to found a team on.

Have to say I am bitterly disappointed to see people saying St Nick would vote it down. He volunteers his time on the NBL board afterall all and has the league's best interests at heart. Right?!? :P

Reply #520351 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon: One game does not give enough evidence to support your argument. On that method, one could also take their biggest attendance of the year and make the assumption that the Cats are in the midst of a boom.

You could also counter your argument by saying that if the Cats sign a bigger star than Ennis and win their first 5 games that the Arena would sell out with everyone jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm curious, Is your glass half empty or half full ?

Reply #520352 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Uwe, the challenge ahead for the Cats is for them to be able to retain this level. Im not saying they can't, but it will be a hell of an effort to repeat this. And they need to recruit very well.

Im sure you don't need to be reminded about the late 90's when the bubble burst! The good thing is that Im sure the organisation is well aware of the potential to go backwards, and being complacent and won't let that happen.

What they have achieved is awesome and im sure it will continue, but like all other teams they start at zero members each off season and will need to build it up again. No guarantee that 9,600 members will again re-sign.

Reply #520353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Competition is good for business. Why do KFC build next to McDonalds? Consumers like choice. Adelaide Crows support is stronger since Port Power entered the AFL. ( I don't know that for a fact, but it sounds reasonable and there is certainly no evidence that their support has dropped off because they have competition) Crows support is more dependent on their own performance on field. Port and Adelaide make each other do everything better. They are great for each other.
Sure Wildcats crowds can't grow much but I'm sure they can grow their business!
Perth is a big city and WA is a very parochial state ( aren't we all). Two NBL teams - Perth and Fremantle would be fantastic for the league and allow more WA people a chance to experience a great night at the NBL

Reply #520354 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The bubble burst for every team though, and you're right, it was because of complacency.

"Have to say I am bitterly disappointed to see people saying St Nick would vote it down."

Do you think any current team's CEO/GM would vote for a second Perth team right now?

Reply #520356 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Competition is good for business. Why do KFC build next to McDonalds? "

Because fat people are indecisive?

Reply #520357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because fat people are indecisive?"

No silly. Because fat people feel wrong ordering two quarter pounder meals. But they're fine with ordering one quarter pounder meal and then walking next door for a zinger stacked box meal ;)

Reply #520359 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NOR/SOR = north of river/south of river

I would expect there to be a lot of resistance from the Wildcats, but if the proposal has wings, then let it fly.

The mining boom is over so that could be an issue, but Perth people do love that NOR/SOR rivalry. I would go fro Freo (SOR) only because I sold my summer retreat located in Peppermint Grove so I have no affiliation NOR anymore.

Reply #520361 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did you see how empty the place was for the semi final?
Happens with semi-finals. The price goes up for finals games, so some fans budget and hope for a grand final instead.

36ers-Tigers G1 last season had 3,865 at the game. G3 was 5,843. The grand final (G2 against Perth) was 7,690.

This year, the last 36ers regular season home game was 7,054. The semi-final dropped down to 4,807.

If Perth can charge more for merch, so be it. Nike can get shoes made more cheaply than me, but charge more. That's what brands do. You charge what the market can bear.

Perth have the staff and experience to maintain the game night experience, as well as keep the roster competitive.

Reply #520368 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

"The novelty of basketball in the city is already wearing off."..............

I just put my palm thru my face......

Reply #520379 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ehh why not, gotta have some teams in the league, and god forbid if the hawks and Crocs fold, need a team somewhere or the league is gone. Nothing wrong with a Freo Perth NBL rivalry.

Reply #520401 | Report this post

smiling_falcon  
Years ago

Would work: when Wildcats are away the new team could fill the void, half the people would come because the novelty, the other half because they love basketball, so won't be an "empty" weekend for us.
Also lots of fans who can't afford the Wildcats prices would have a "lesser" team to support.
As for talent: no team/city has only locals, Wildcats has only 2, so filling the roster wouldn't be a problem.
The big question, of course, is who will put up the money?

Reply #520430 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I don't see it working here.

Firstly there are already a lot of home games in a fairly short space of time in a season, especially in Perth where the Arena is out of action for a weeks every mid-season. Double the amount of games and I very much doubt you'll double the amount of fans. The Cats finished the season with 6 home games in 6 rounds. I'm not sure how much hungrier the basketball fans of Perth really are.

Secondly, venue is a real issue here. Perth Arena is excellent of course, but it's expensive. 5,000 fans to a game is a good number by NBL standards at the moment, but I suspect that number showing up at Perth Arena would be a long way below the break-even point. I don't have figures to back that up though.

But more importantly, I just don't see where support for a new team would come from. I don't see that there's a big base of dormant potential fans just waiting to be given a basketball identity, who would jump onto a new team. Fremantle? I don't see it. South & East Freo were natural sources when it came to the Freo Dockers entering the AFL. Basketball in Perth doesn't have anything remotely comparable.

So I think it would be a big ask to get a new team established. They'd want to have a lot of money and a serious drawcard of a marquee player every season for a while to build support.

In the longer term ... I dunno. Maybe there is enough interest in basketball here to make it happen. But I think that first of all the league would have to establish itself. Once fans have a league that is worth following, maybe there's a chance they would stick with a new team. But I don't think this is the right time.

Reply #520439 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754