henny penny
Years ago

volunteers struggling with new shot clock

noticed volunteers are struggling at fully timed junior games with the new shot clock 24 v 14 and the associated scenarios.

Should there be a brief "accreditation" course run by a club rather than just some random put on the desk cause it is that families turn to do the bench ?

I know clubs run scorebench trainings - but how about something on line that a parent etc could do the week before they sit on the bench - rather than a few hours on a weekend every 6 months - when they probably could not make the course.

Have noticed Div 1 games with shot clocks bumbling through and going off willy-nilly 5 secs into an offence - might as well not have them some games.

Topic #36789 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember to hold, shot clock has to be stopped before you can toggle between 14 / 24 Hold, hold, hold, just have to retrain your brain and your fingers.

Reply #522605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should modify the units to have a 14 second button as well as a 24 second reset. A couple of units at the Arena have them and they are much easier to use.
Better still would be to get rid of the stupid rule and go back to 24secs for every reset

Reply #522614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 1 at arena has four button

Reply #522616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref's struggle with charge circle

Reply #522625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon's struggle with staying on topic

Reply #522626 | Report this post

henny penny  
Years ago

not just the control buttons but understanding when it is 24 or 14

Reply #522629 | Report this post

buckets  
Years ago

you should be grateful enough that the people are doing the bench in the first place. Without a bench the game can't go on. If you make them do a course just to sit on the bench I'm sure you will see the number of volunteers drop dramatically...…

Im sorry that the poor parent sitting on the shot clock stuffed up while you were watching…….. hey, I've got an idea!

HOW ABOUT NEXT TIME YOU DO IT YOURSELF INSTEAD OF HAVING A LITTLE BITCH ABOUT IT ONLINE.

Rant over.

Reply #522646 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

I don't think this thread is directed at struggling parents.

It has more to do with poor implementation of a rather complex rule and poor equipment.

Definitely not the fault of parent's when things start to go pear shaped

Reply #522648 | Report this post

Calvin  
Years ago

Buckets, more like 'bucket mouth'

Reply #522650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

buckets sounds like one of those parents...

Reply #522655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have tried to teach parents some don't want to know some do, some are so focused on what their child is doing no amount of training is going to soothe their nerves for them to concentrate to the task at hand.

Reply #522664 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Having coached and scored many times I understand parents who are apprehensive doing this, but my advice is just get in there and have a go. Eventually you will work it out and it will become quite a simple task for you.

Sit next to somone who knows how to use the device during a game first if you need to, but don't stress over it, remember although parents sometimes lose it for a second during the heat of a game, we'd all appreciate those who help out.

Reply #522665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have only done the shot clock once for my daughter's game and I read up on the rules prior to doing it which helped. I had a few questions so I asked the court supervisor before the game started, problem was that he couldn't answer me so he obviously had no idea of the rules so that didn't help.

Reply #522673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the ball hits the ring, hold, wait to see who gets the ball if it is offensive reset to 14, if it is defensive it is 24. Offensive rebounds do not happen as much as you think, you will get a lot if scores lop sided because the team who is in front will be getting the o boards. If teams are shooting a high % there won't be rebounds. Pretty much rule of thumb if offensive team has control in the front court it is 14. if there is a steal/turnover in offensive end, say sixers score and hawks are dribbling ball in their back court (sixers front court) and Gibson steals ball from Forman, then the shot clock is reset to 24. shots taken from half court ie tech foul, or USF shot clock will be on 24 because the ball can be passed backcourt or front court. Rebound that hits ring and goes into the back court but is first touched by the offensive team is 14. Most of the technique is in making sure you STOP the device before resetting. if you do not stop it no amount of trying to get it to 14 will work because everytime you hit reset it will reset to 24. Good Luck!

Reply #522683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know where the rules for the shot clock is? I used to be able to find it on Basketball SA website but I just looked and can no longer see it.

This thread has made me want to read up on them again. Want the one that has the rules for u14s as from memory the shot clock doesn't start until they bring the ball over the half way line?

Reply #522684 | Report this post

GS  
Years ago

Here is a tid-bit of information I have found out whilst working the 24 sec clock for an under 23's game.

The clock doesn't need to be stopped to reset to 14, you can hold down the start button and press the reset button and the clock goes to 14, its much quicker and easier then the "stop, reset-reset, start" to reset to 14.

Reply #522694 | Report this post

ruzz  
Years ago

We have the same problem in Sydney.
Many people (esp parents) are not yet trained/aware on the "new rules" including the 14 -second shot clock and the timeouts in the last 2 minutes, not to to mention one free throw on tech fouls. With the Rep season about to start on this coming Sunday this is going to " Blow up" at many venues.

Doesn't help that four of the main venues in Sydney have different brands of scoreboard with different ways of re-setting the shot-clock to 14 seconds. BNSW has introduced a rule that the "home" team, has to do clock and the away team does score sheet which helps with the different brands of scoreboard but doesn't help with the shot clock. Plus in my experience many parents hate/refuse too do shot clock as it is "too hard" (has too much potential influence on the outcome of the game/too likely to get yelled at)

Reply #522745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very happy it is not implemented in the VJBL!

Reply #522749 | Report this post

pig  
Years ago

its because the 14 second rule is stupid
why couldnt the clock get reset to 24 seconds...
if there is 20 seconds left in a game and you are down a point and work hard to get the offensive rebound you should be able to use that time up as you did the right thing... but if you only get 14 seconds and score instead of the team doing a victory lap they get rewarded with a timeout, the ball being advanced and 6 seconds of dont let my player get the ball defence
24 second reset is better than the 14

Reply #522976 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

yeah sure, and the possession arrow is unfair....

Reply #522978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring back the jump ball!!!

Reply #522980 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Why? Its less fair. Surely you want fair rules.

Reply #522981 | Report this post

north korea  
Years ago

its to complicated for parents, either BSA bring in some people to do it
OR they just reset it to 24 seconds...

Reply #523355 | Report this post

splash man  
Years ago

i would vote to get rid of the 14 second restart, why do we expect junior players to play at the same level as the professionals?
and you can argue that we use the same rules, but ive been told by umpires that the rules we use in Australia at the interpretation of FIBA rules
we will still be playing basketball

Reply #523361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754