swish
Years ago

last 3 minutes

Can anyone remember what used to be special about the "last 3 minutes" of the game. We are talking about the old days.

This was way before the team fouls rule and so I think it was that every foul in the last 3 minutes resulted in 2 foul shots.

Is anyone out there who reads this stuff old enough to remember that rule.

Topic #36791 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going back pre 3 pointer, pre choice of shots or side ball, pre passing back even before 3 foul shots to make 2 but yes I remember a call from the sideline (rarely a clock)to advise start of last 3 & all fouls then earned 2 shots.

Reply #522696 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Thats a long way back. Scorers monitoring a sun dial so they could call out "last 3!".

being reminded of those rule changes makes me wonder "What will the next rule change be?"

What rules would people like to see changed / removed / added/ tweaked to make the game better / less predicatable?

Reply #522717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember when i first started playing, when you were up to 7 team fouls. You had the one for one free throw rule.

I liked it

Reply #522743 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

Actually it used to be last five (5) minutes.
1965 Official Basketball Rules.
Article 81. Last Five Minutes of Play

During the last five minutes of play of the second half and during all extra periods, all personal fouls shall be considered as committed on a player who is throwing for goal.

Became last three minutes in the 1969 Official Basketball Rules. Captain had the option to take the ball out of bounds instead of shooting the free throws

Reply #522770 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

those were the days ! or what about when you could call "time in" off your time out )

Reply #522786 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

would like to see offensive team able to call a time out when they have the ball

Reply #522788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was not appropriate behavior for a coach to tell players to do intentional fouls.
With a sideball option there is no point having a foulfest and some are big fans of watching freethrows

Reply #523020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754