LC
Years ago

Ben Simmons: The Australian All American

Ben Simmons' illustrious high school career is coming to an end.

PnR's Olgun Uluc caught up with Simmons in Chicago this week to talk about the McDonald’s All American game, Montverde Academy, his aspirations for LSU, and lastly, his future with the Australian national team.

The Australian All American: Ben Simmons talks Montverde, LSU and Australian Boomers

Topic #36840 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Plays the point?

Next Magic Johnson?

Reply #523616 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Saw an ESPN segment about it. Is it just me or does the American media try to hide the fact that he is Australian?

Reply #523627 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

No, they just don't care as much about him being Australian as you do.

Reply #523637 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Gordon Liddy,

I am a Kiwi so why would I care about him been Australian. Assuming is risky business mate.

I'm just comparing him to Steve Adams who everyone knew was a Kiwi and the US media "sold" him on that basis.

It just seems the US don't want to do that in this situation given Simmons in no.1 big dog and they can't handle having an "overseas player" as the face of their high school/college game.

Reply #523639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because they don't mention it all the time, doesn't mean they're trying to hide it. The kid is the #1 high school player in the world, there are plenty of other things they're talking about (To put it in perspective, Jaylen Brown is the #2 player and you don't hear them mentioning all the time that's he from Georgia.)

Adam was sold on being from NZ because that was his sell. Not that he's not a great player, but the fact that he's from NZ is the most interesting thing about him. Simmons' sell is his ability.

Reply #523641 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't think it will be like that when he is in the NBA. In almost every Aussie highlight, the commentators invariably say. "That shot hit by Joe Ingles, the Australian native"

Reply #523643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons will be the greatest australian of all time.

Reply #523653 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

is there any chance that Simmons never plays for LSU, ie goes in this upcoming draft? It's interesting that I can't think of any talk around it but they rate him as the best high school player

Reply #523654 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No - he has repeatedly stated he is headed to LSU.

Reply #523656 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

He can't go straight from High school to the nba. Plus his buddy Antonio Blakeney will be joining him at LSU next season, should be fun to watch.

Reply #523666 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And Aussie 7-footer Darcy Malone is on the LSU team too :)

Reply #523668 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

MACDUB,

Assuming is a dangerous business. It's one dangerous, dangerous business. You're not wrong there mate. It's rife with danger. Rife.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

Reply #523670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon Liddy is a repeat offender aussie player hate. used to say delly and ingles would never make the nba.

Reply #523678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lsu looking real good if they get Newman and some descent bigs.

Reply #523683 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Hypothetically speaking, where would Simmons go if he were eligible for the upcoming NBA Draft?

Reply #523685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ He could go in the top 10. He's a lock for top 3 in the 2016 Draft

Reply #523689 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

It's certainly not hate. It's just apathy.

Reply #523691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apathetic or not, you are missing the mark on your predictions. Delly and Joe doing their thing.

Reply #523694 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If it's apathy then why do you bother commenting here?

Reply #523702 | Report this post

Number 3  
Years ago

If Simmons was in the upcoming draft, he would be number 3.

Reply #523708 | Report this post

Princess Audrey  
Years ago

I think that in time Simmons could be as good as Cam Gliddon

Reply #523711 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Anon, because I find the obbsession with these Australian players on this site quite entertaining and amusing.

Reply #523722 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australian forum = Australian interest.

Reply #523724 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

Front page article on Sports Illustrated a couple days ago about Simmons:

"Only a matter of time until Australia's Ben Simmons is starring in the NBA"

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/02/ben-simmons-australia-mcdonalds-lsu-dante-exum

Reply #523782 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

As good as Cam Gliddon? That's a stretch isn't it?

Reply #523784 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

LOL!

Reply #523795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a dual American/Australian citizen

Reply #523797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon Liddy,

I am a Kiwi so why would I care about him been Australian. Assuming is risky business mate.

I'm just comparing him to Steve Adams who everyone knew was a Kiwi and the US media "sold" him on that basis.

It just seems the US don't want to do that in this situation given Simmons in no.1 big dog and they can't handle having an "overseas player" as the face of their high school/college game.

.. the difference is Adams was a full Kiwi whereas Simmons is technically American as well as Australian

Reply #523803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" the difference is Adams was a full Kiwi whereas Simmons is technically American as well as Australian"

By that logic though Adams isn't "technically" a "full Kiwi", but rather English and Tongan. But in any case we shouldn't get so proprietary with how we describe players and their nationalities.

Reply #523839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754