Anonymous
Years ago

Larry Kestleman's "Ugly sister" proposal

Link below from Boti.

I wonder whether the $5 Million proposal is still on the table?

Obviously it's not as much as $7 Million but in my opinion, if it is now $5M, providing that goes towards a National Marketing campaign, then I guess it is better than nothing.

Boti's comments make it sound like an average deal though (with no $ figure in the article).

Thoughts?

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/bye-bye-wortho-and-not-happy-as-larry/

Topic #37104 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

There really are no details given, so there really is no way to know. I don't think anyone expected the deal to be quite as good as the last one. We will have to wait and see. He does sound like the deal will likely go ahead. Put it this way, it must be somewhat better than the alternative for the league - which is probably non existence.

Reply #528903 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I don't think they should accept any proposal that involves giving over 50% ownership to anyone.

Reply #528916 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the idea of three years majority ownership and if goals aren't met it gets handed back.

Reply #528922 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Theres not many other alternatives.They should roll with it or might as well shut up shop.

Reply #528923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The world is that the vote already has taken place and the outcome was 6-2 in favour of the dodo proposal of 51% ownership.

Reply #528931 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well I hope there is a media release soon with the details

Reply #528934 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

I guess we have to trust the board members on this one - no option, really - but I hope they take the 'devil in the detail' concept to heart and make sure there is a 'hands off' clause in there, particularly in light of the apparent shemozzle with the Melbourne 'team'... a term I use loosely in that context!

If Melbourne is an indication of how well this group's approach works in basketball the sport could well be MUCH better off with the 'devil we know' rather than whatever is in the detail of this deal, particularly if that detail means the guy with the money is running the show rather than simply providing the resources needed by the sport.

Reply #528949 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I have no problem with him running the show if there is the clause Boti has previously mentioned - if goals aren't meant ownership stake is handed back after three years.

I wrote about it in my column last week, if this is done right, we get one vision for at least three years to see what can be achieved, rather than the constant changes in direction we've had in recent years.

http://www.fiba.com/news/vision-at-last

Reply #528952 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I dont understand. The NBL is a private organisation. Someone buys 51 percent which gives them majority voting rights.

And then in 3 years later if the ship isnt sailing better you want that person to sell his now shares (worth even less) to someone else. So he basically takes the loss then leaves.

No maka da sense!

Reply #528959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt it after 3 years if it doesnt work, he hands it back to the current owners for nothing?

If it is its a no brainer

As if it works, all clubs are more successful and make more money than they currently are. Larry K makes a gets a fair chunk of the pie due to his $$$ investment, which makes it a win win.

If it doesnt work, they havent had to put the money in, they can try new things, and they atleast have some direction and investment for the next 3 years.

I can also understand it being a lower proposal from Larry Ks point of view, as he offered $7mil last year, now the league is in worse shape, made basically no progress what so ever in the past season, even went backwards with no tv deal in place, expansion plans seem dead, so why would he offer the same again to the people who previously rejected the deal for a lesser valued business?

If Larry can provide a direction, help get expansion to happen, help get a TV deal, and invest in some marketing, im all for it.

Reply #528964 | Report this post

Wise words, as always, Paul.

Reply #528977 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Maybe we'll get a free xbox one with our NBL League Pass next season?

Reply #529047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Thanks Mookie!

Reply #529082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give him a crack he can do no worse than the current clowns that try and run it currently.

Reply #529107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Itmay be the "ugly stepsister" proposal compared with the "Cinderella" proposal which was the original but its still $5million injected into the NBL.

If this guy gets control for $5million whats to say he won't then dig deeper into his pocket to help steer the league in the direction he sees fit. Maybe expansion, maybe TV promotion, maybe closer / real links with NBA etc.

Once he has control he can do what he wants and I don't think hes spending $5million so that he can blow that plus whatever he has already invested in Melb.
Even if he gets a team into Brisbane, Wellington, Tasmania, Canberra, gets NBL live on prime time TV with promotion to match and even if he does all this then bends the rules so that his team ( Melbourne) can somehow play Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bogut in 2 or 3 guest appearances( or somehow ensures Melb win the title) I think its worth it. The game would grow and get great exposure. At the moment, as Boti said the NBL has had its worst off seaspn ever. It has NO credibility out there in the "real world"

I think its unfair to call the current NBL club administrators a "bunch of clowns", apart from Cairns all the clubs are run by the guys putting their own cash into this thing. They have made plenty of mistakes, but we have to beleive they not trying to throw their money away.

Reply #529116 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think people get a bit dizzy when they talk about prime time NBL on TV.

Does the NBL really present a package worth a broadcaster not only taking a punt on, but giving it prime time? I really do not think so.

There is more to making a successful sports league or TV product than simply shoving it on TV at the right time and watch the cash grow.

To start with, the NBL is generally pretty ugly on TV. There are only 2 or 3 stadiums which are up to snuff visually. I know that sounds like nitpicking, but the look of the stadium will be the first thing people notice. No one is expecting NBA level, but could the stadiums not clean themselves up to a, say, Hisense arena level or something?

Another, ugly camera angles - this has some hope though. There were 2 games last season, in PErth, where they actually bothered to present the thing professionally and it worked. One of those games was one of the best games of the season. But this cant just be at Perth, this has to be everywhere.

Another issue, the play. NBL games tend to be ugly. The officiating needs to change to fix this, and we need to keep good imports coming here.

And even if we tick all of these boxes, we might still only have a slightly larger niche market. If we throw the games on at Prime time, chances are we will be the least watched show on the slot. What broadcaster in their right mind is going to want to show that?

We need to actually build support BEFORE we go for prime time. This is where a strong public, and social media presence would help. This is where we need to accept 3 or 4 games a week, at times which are a bit out of prime time. We do not have the bargaining power to ask for prime time.

Reply #529123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the current management knocked back a $7mill offer originally and now they are talking about dropping $2mill and taking the lesser offer. What a pack of idiots. No wonder the NBL is is so much trouble. of course they are accountable only to themselves. Let's hope Kestleman and co take over and get rid of these ineptitude 'businessman'.
If this was a publicly listed company they would have been sacked years ago.

Reply #529131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To start with, the NBL is generally pretty ugly on TV. There are only 2 or 3 stadiums which are up to snuff visually.
What exactly is your standard here? NSEC, SNAHC and SSC are the only ones I can think of that actually look bad.

Reply #529134 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

wollongong, snakepit, townsville, sydney are hideous on TV. Adelaide could use a clean up, Melbourne is okay, Perth is great, and NZ is good in their good arena but below average at their crap one.

Reply #529154 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The 'NBL product' on TV can look a lot better with the following improvements:

1. More instant replays.
2. Better camera angles.
3. More camera angles.
4. Better lighting.
5. More action such as cheer leaders during breaks.
6. Better or more entertaining commentary.
7. More stories or player bios and basketball facts.
8. Increasing the crowd involvement, boosting crowd noise.
9. Suitable and common sense music pre game and during games.
10. Action, action action! Prepare better and deliver what people want...

Basketball is an action sport, we can view it with cameras everywhere, not just one up in the stands to follow the ball. If Larry can bring the bling and introduce the cash needed to spring the game to life on TV I am all for it and I have confidence it can work.

Reply #529165 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure who is the biggest idiot...
Kestleman, for making this stupid proposal?
Boti, for constantly talking up an offer that seems to exist only in his blog?
Or the posters going "yeah the NBL must accept it" without having the slightest clue what the offer actually is?

Here is what we actually KNOW:

nothing...

And we may never know any more.
If an offer had been made and accepted, then I expect there will be announcements in due course. Until then, I will reserve judgement.

We only have Boti's claim that a $7M offer was ever made (and the "details" Boti provided of that supposed offer were ludicrous.) Now we have Boti's claim that a $5M offer has been made?

The monumental promises that supposedly accompanied the original offer simply establish that either Boti or Kestleman is full of shit. Not sure which...

I am cyncial mostly because every 2nd thread on here during the season was critical of their rebranding and running of Melbourne, and now he wants to run the entire league?

The notion that he is offering cash for control of the league, but will then give back control in 3 years is nonsensical.

I come back to the point that profitability of the NBL itself (ie "National Basketball League Pty Ltd") is not the issue. They get first dibs on all revenue, and can set their franchise fees at whatever level they need. The problem is always the viability of the teams. Townsville is on its arse, Wollongong is still bust, and most teams make a loss. Is he promising that all teams will be profitable within 3 years?!??
Problem is that short of simply bailing them out, there's not much he can do to turn around all their fortunes in such a short space of time.
Basically, there is NO magical short-term fix.

Reply #529248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That you know of Dazz?

Reply #529256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can he promise every team will be profitable when he won't have control of every team (one at best)?

Reply #529268 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

wollongong, snakepit, townsville, sydney are hideous on TV.
What's wrong with them?

Reply #529273 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth Arena and Adelaide Arena are probably the two best on TV

Reply #529278 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Adelaide, when full looks very good. The arena itself is OK if not a bit dated looking.

Wollongong has the most ideal NBL venue going. Their problem is that they can't get anywhere close to filling it. Which makes it look bland.

Most of the venues are pretty reasonable I think, with Perth Arena, Hisense, and Vector the standouts.

Reply #529281 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

NBL Chair Graeme Wade spoke on Melbourne SEN to Andrew Gaze this morning. He was very positive about the future of the league and had a fair bit to say.

Here is what I can recall:

The Crocs are fincnially sound and will be in again next season, the Hawks are going to be a lock also, just waiting for confirmation.

The Kestleman deal is good for everyone and will not be a confilct of interest because the basketball managament of the league and the board will be two different entities essentially doing what each does best.

A TV deal is looking very much like going ahead, 'they are all over us and we are all over them', he said.

Lots of changes are happening and Wade has been very busy with all of the changes, can't wait to read about these...

The NBL is talking to some very gib sponsors and things are looking bright here as well.

Looks like the NBL is an 8 team competition again next season folks, let's be positive about it all again now shall we...

Reply #529300 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

very big sponsors... :)

Reply #529301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754