Anonymous
Years ago

Jacob Jackomas Sydney Kings - New Assistant

I just read the kings have hired Brian Goorijan's side kick as their assistant coach. WTF?

We have lost our captain, no word on the signing of Childress or any imports and now the dismal decision to hire a NOBODY as the new assistant!

The team that once packed the entertainment centre every weekend is now a JOKE and the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the owners!

I'M DONE WITH THE KINGS!!

Topic #37143 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see you leave. Clearly you know nothing about Jacob and his excellent knowledge of the game.
He has done his time in China which clearly you know nothing about and Jakomas of holding down a video scouting job in the NBA make no mistake.
The Kings don't deserve fickle fans like you. Bye Bye.

Reply #529779 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What happened to Robbie McKinlay?

Reply #529784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The OP does have a point though, as misguided as it may be. Anyone who knows Jacob knows he's got a great basketball brain and works his butt off. Still, the Kings lose their most popular player, and one of their most productive over the past three seasons; have just launched their membership drive and yet all they have to show for their efforts so far is a backup guard re-signed and an assistant coach unknown to all but the most diehard of fans.

Admittedly its early in the offseason, but there's a team that really needed to be aggressively going after new fans and trying their damnedest to entice the old ones back. Instead, there's zero in the Sydney papers, their website stories are few and far between, they've lost a player thought very highly of both on and off the court and they have nothing that makes people think "gee, I think the Kings are exciting, I need to get a season ticket."

I really wonder what the ownership of the Kings is doing. Are they just happy to have a team in Sydney so they can say they own a sporting team? Or do they have a plan to really do something exciting, marketable and for the long term? Something that will really drive the sport forward in the city? On evidence presented to date, you'd have to say it's not a great situation and doesn't appear to be getting better.

Reply #529786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont be so upset when Julian K signs, Childress and the team competes. Relax, your complaining over an ASSISTANT...

Reply #529791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its clear based on the horrible marketing of the kings for the last few year and their lack of direction by anyone in management or any of the so call owners, there are problems within the kings organisation.

I can only imagine mike wrubliski(RIP) would be embarrassed of the current owners.

Reply #529793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes its ONE assistant coach. Not 27.

Reply #529814 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

"Mini-Me" is back!

Reply #529819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great Hire, if you knew Jacob he is a players first guy and was Goorjs main guy is a hard Chinese market. Yes its not a game changer and we do need players, but we should be happy to have him back and anyone who works for Brian for so long isn't a NOBODY

Welcome Back Mini Me

Reply #529821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Jake you made it on hoops - congratulations bro.

Reply #529823 | Report this post

Tankly  
Years ago

What once was a great organisation leading the NBL on and off the court is now an embarrassment starring Dumb & Dumbers(the owners) and The Three Stooges..Larry(cotter), Curly(mckinlay) and Moe(Jackomas).

Reply #529830 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I have to agree with the calls to chill out, but also, Anon#786 DOES make a few good points without going overboard like the OP... The biggest thing for the Kings the last few seasons is that the management really haven't pushed the team to get out into mainstream... They've built up their community efforts and done well in those areas, but for marketing and promotion, it's been a pretty weak effort and this season more than ever, as I've been saying since last season, they're REALLY going to have to work their tails off with a split home court season...

They're doing some good things in engaging their existing fans and listening to them, having a forum a few weeks ago and working better at keeping communication open, but I agree that with their memberships now being open, it would have been great to have had a new signing, or popular re-signing to tie in with that... But that being said, apart from Childress, who would have been a big enough name to re-sign that would have satisfied this criticism? Madgen, probably, but most would have thought that he was signed for two years as promoted anyways, not that he had a 2nd year option...

In a members email a week or so ago, they mentioned that they'd hopefully have a few signings to announce in three weeks, so I'm going to try to wait a bit more patiently, as it's been a really up and down off season so far, and there are a lot of options out there to hopefully try to get on the team... There's probably the best couple of local PGs that we've had on the market since Damo's contract was up, so with the FA period being dragged out, being able to talk to players like Gibbo and Markovic would only have just started (officially), plus, with players on their radar like AJ and Khazzouh, the latter having an invite to Utah Jazz summer camp or whathaveyou, lots of decisions will need to be made as to how long they wait on him if he's even keen on coming back, or if they chase AJ (if he's interested in coming back) or whether they chase local players and go small but a higher quality, like a Petrie, or use an import spot to try to chase Gladness or Conklin...

All this is dependant on whether they can re-sign Childress, a long shot, possibly, but worth chasing, and if it IS a chance, would define how you spend the 2nd import spot...

All these issues have to be resolved, so I'm not going to lose any sleep that they signed an assistant coach that has spent the last four years working as an assistant to one of the best coaches Australian basketball has ever seen...

Reply #529834 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

You were making outstanding sense there until you mentioned people actually wanting to talk to Markovic....LOL
He wouldn't make the bench on a Grand Final team in the NBL.

Reply #529861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assistant coaches hold the clipboard and fetch the coach's chair. Jacob is eminently qualified at both.

Reply #529884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many haters. You would think these same people know something about basketball. Kings don't need people like these idiots at all. You support you team through thick and thin. That's what true fans do. Jackomas has done the hard yards and deserves a chance. He's there doing doing it in real life. Unlike those haters with no game nor coaching skills.

Reply #529929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If "Mini Me" is the biggest thing the Kings have going, then that's a huge statement as to how massive the off season has been so far.

Reply #529944 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, because all the other teams have been SUPER busy announcing stuff in the off season so far...

Cairns signed their top FAs pretty much straight away...
36ers signed DJ because he realised he can't hack it overseas...
NZ re-signed most of their existing talent...
Kings re-signed Cadee...

the only move has really been Blanchfield to the Unitards... oh, and Perth cutting their dead wood, which is pretty standard for them...

I like most other fans would LOVE my team to have signed a full roster of top level talent already, but to bitch and moan about an announcement of an assistant coach seems to me to be an overreaction...

Reply #529948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So tell us anonymous above about your basketball credentials to criticise mini me.

Reply #529951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great choice.

Reply #530171 | Report this post

Anon16  
Years ago

Someone asked about McKinley.

He has signed up with Peter Lonergan to run the BNSW new venture in partnership with the Australian Basketball College.

BNSW have put an article about it on their website.

They don't mention how much it will cost to be a part of the program.

That will be theinteresting factor.

Reply #530285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent hire by the Kings. Obviously Goorj back for 2016-2017

Reply #530513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I herd Gruggan was moving in to assist Lono. McKinlay a good coach though. Good luck to him the league just isn't stable enough.

Reply #530514 | Report this post

Anon16  
Years ago

Read the website article on BNSW.

McKinley definitely an assistant.

OTHER TALK IS Gruggen supposedly going to Townsville as an Assistant to SD at Crocs.

Surely would not be fully paid Asst.

Maybe a volunteer Asst to do Video work

Reply #530539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Anon16

No Gruggen is definitely going to Townsville as the first AC and full salary which is pretty good considering how young he is. Good luck to him and shame for New South Wales

Reply #530562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754