Cherry Picker
Years ago

NBA Finals MVP

Should Lebron have won the Mvp for the finals instead of iggy? Even though he was on the losing side his numbers were unbelievable, nearly averaging a triple double. The Warriors were the way better team and that's why they are the champs and Iguadala was great in the series but a blind man can see that Lebron was the best player on the court in that series including the regular season Mvp.
I think Jerry West was the only other player to win finals Mvp before on a losing team, but even the people that hate Lebron should agree he should have at least won that award, especially there being no really embarrassing blowouts with basically role players on his team.

Topic #37283 | Report this topic

As great as Lebron was, iggy deserved the finals MVP. Maybe he will get it next year when Kyrie is back.

Reply #533321 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It's understandably rare for it to happen, but this season I thought Lebron was that much better than anyone else that yes, he still should have got the award despite losing.

Reply #533322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

warriors won 3 straight after inserting him into the starting line up. Not even close

Reply #533324 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Lebron shot 25% against Iggy. I thought Lebron should have won it for carry that squad to the Finals and then actually manage to avoid getting swept but Iggy was the most deserving Warrior

Reply #533326 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

To put it in persepective, he was the first player in NBA Finals history to lead both teams in points, assists and rebounds for the entire series, according to ESPN.

James averaged 35.8 points, 13.3 rebounds and 8.8 assists across six Finals games. Apart from a 20 point effort in game 4 and if a team mate made 2 more shots per game the guy would have averaged a 40 point triple double.

And who would have honestly tipped they would take it to 6 games at the start of the series?

But winners are grinners.

Reply #533339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also had 20 misses a game. Averaged 13 of 33 over six games. 35 points off 33 shots.

Still deserved MVP just thought that was a crazy stat

Reply #533341 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

LeBron played his ass off, the Cavs just lost to a better team. If anyone on GS should have got mvp it should have been Steph. Avg 26pts etc

Reply #533344 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It's a great trivia question now but Lebron was pretty outstanding

Reply #533356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With Iguodala on court, Cavs were -55. When he was on the bench, the Cavs were +30.

The vote was split 7-4 (Iguodala-James). No votes for Curry which would've been a very default choice.

Reply #533358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Le Bron definitely should have won the finals MVP but given the lack of respect he was given by the refs during this series it's not surprising he didn't. Iggy performed better than expected against an undermanned team without 2-3 major players yet Le Bron still posted those unbelievable figures with that same undermanned and less talented against what the majority now seem to think is an exceptional team. They may well be but until they are tested against a full side I believe that statement should be reserved and the truely exceptional Le Bron James should have been acknowledged. Next year, so hoping he can remain fit and gather some healthy team mates and Cavs can provide the adjustments in the roster that are needed. Bring on another GSW V Cavs Finals Series. I want the rematch to test the truth. Only then will I accept this years decision on the MVP.

Reply #533364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's also an argument that LeBron had less competition for those stats. The other non-Kyrie guards had poor games and so he put up more shots at a lower-then-usual percentage. No Love so he played bulk minutes and had to rebound (defensive rebounding saves him running the outlet and conserves energy?).

Curry got no votes for a 26/5/6 series which is a bit harsh.

Reply #533368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People will look back on these finals as the biggest snub for LBJ. To a lesser degree the regular season MVP for the past couple of seasons could also be considered a snub. How can you have the highest points, assists and rebounds of both teams and not get the finals MVP? How can you break the record books for points made and still not get the nod. This was one of the most dominant individual finals performances of all time.

Reply #533372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh its because Iggy had God on his side. Obviously.

Reply #533377 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

One more win in, say, game 6 and I think LeBron is the guaranteed finals MVP.

As it was, a 2-4 series, yes LeBron was the best and most dominant player on court, but I can understand how the judges could be focussing on who was most influential in causing the wins.

Reply #533389 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Plus the title of the award is most valuable, not best contributer. Without Iguadala the Warriors probably would have won it with Barnes, Green etc contributing even if it wasn't as much as iggy.
Take away Lebron and they would have been the Washington generals out there.
Excellent point that without Kyrie and Love he had to raise his production.

Reply #533428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the series had gone to seven games (with GSW still winning) I think Lebron had to get it. As it ended up 4-2 I think it swung it back in Iggy's favour.

Close call though.

Reply #533439 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

value of lebron in series > value of iggy in series

Take LBJ out and Iggy out and the Warriors still win with a very likely sweep.

any way you put it LBJ > Iggy. Stats, importance to team, x factor, impact on game, impact on series.

Reply #533446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Iggy force Lebron to shoot 25% when defending him?

Reply #533448 | Report this post

kason jidd  
Years ago

Sure, you could focus on that stat- much like the delly supporters that lean on that stat. Or you could look at it from the point of Lebron still managing to drop near 40 pts every night and average a near triple double in one of the most dominant individual performances while Iggy defended him.

Reply #533467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a Lebron fan but I'm a basketball fan and he was clearly the best player in the finals.

If it was biggest surprise or step up award then yes Iggy would get it but it's not.

Imagine the Cavs and the series without Lebron. Would have been one sided and not worth watching. At least we was able to take two games in the series.

Warriors had a far more balanced contribution whereas the Cavs had Lebron then a daylight second.

Reply #533545 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

For the Dubs, starting Iggy over Bogut was a master stroke that changed things up and was arguably the difference in the series. Iggy played extremely well, and the Warriors played extremely well when he was on the court, no doubt about that.

But check these stats out:

Lebron: 35.8 ppg, 13.3 rpg, 8.8apg
Iggy: 16.3ppg, 5.8rpg, 4.0apg.

Firstly, LeBron's stats are insane and it has been reported that no player in NBA history has led both teams in ppg, rpg and apg. But also, check out the difference in LeBron's stats compared to Iggy's: 19.5ppg, 7.5rpg, 4.8apg. That's a whole extra player (and a good one, too.)

I am all for rewarding the biggest "difference maker" in the series and Iguodala certainly has a legitimate claim to that title, but LeBron's numbers are statistically unprecedented. The NBA is effectively guaranteeing that a player on the losing team will never, ever, win the MVP again. And it's a shame.

Reply #533699 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I don't necessarily like the statistical view point for a series finals MVP, it is a guide only for me.

Yes, Lebron James and Steph Curry dominated their team's stats, and so they should have, one had so much isolation play come his way he could help it while the other had a license to shoot and shoot it some more.

I realise this isn't all they brought to their teams and they also produced opportunity for team mates and inspired them when the going got tough, but for me the MVP should be the game changer, the one who made the difference...

For me the MVP was Igudalla hands down, why, because with him the Warriors win hands down, without him maybe not!

There is more to an MVP than statistics, in fact it should be only one of several categories used to determine the value of a player, sure you can look at how the statistics influence many other factors, but the statistics alone are not and never should be the deciding factor IMHO.

Reply #533781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors still win without iggy

Reply #533797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Warriors still win the series without Iggy.
Cavs don't get within 25 points in a single game without Lebron though, let alone win any games.

Reply #533798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754