Tom
Years ago

Diamon Simpson wants Adelaide return?

I follow the guy on twitter and he just retweeted a fan saying: Plz bring Diamon Simpson back to the club as our import. And during both our finals campaigns he has tweeted his support for the 36ers. Would you guys want him back?

Topic #37394 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no other answer other than hell yeah>the guy is a double double machine

Reply #535642 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

He was ok but couldn't make a free throw as far as I remember, would need more franchise type imports to compete this season with what some of the other teams are stacking up imo.

Reply #535653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible free throw shooter, no outside shot (as far as I can remember) and we already have signed most of our bigs. Unfortunately he just doesn't fit imo. He was one of my favourites though!

Reply #535661 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I really liked his strength and rebounding around the basket when he played for us. That's something this team has lacked for a long time.

But as others have said, his poor free throw shooting was a real problem. If he has managed to improve that to 60% or so and has added a couple of post moves, I think he could worth another look.

Reply #535663 | Report this post

Years ago

i thought he was good

Reply #535665 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

From memory his point and rebound per minute stats were great but there was a question on his fitness limiting his minutes. Yes his free throw shooting was poor and does not seem to have improved.

He shot 52% from the stripe while shooting 57% from the field for Estudiantes in the ACB last season.

Reply #535666 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

He is a perfect fit IMO. Petrie is making a transition to the bench this season as Joey has stated he is looking for a power forward. Simpson would be a great fit next to a stretch-5 like DJ as well as having a decent mid range shot on him.

Reply #535669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did Joey Wright say that? I thought he said he wanted the import to be a PG/SG combo (like Wilson) and a 6'6" SF type?

Johnson/Hodgson
Petrie/Walker
Import/Creek
Import/Sobey
Gibson/Teys

Reply #535675 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He would be a great second import, I would take him and try to get an excitement machine in the Ennis/Farley mould.

Reply #535695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey says a lot of things...

Reply #535699 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Johnson/Hodgson
Simpson/Petrie
Creek/Walker
Wilson/Sobey
Gibson/Teys

Simpson and Johnson would play well together, they seem to have opposite skills for big men

Reply #535712 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd take him. At the moment, we are a little short on legit talls (as opposed to being overloaded with them last year). Hodgson is a big unknown (assuming he's signed) and Walker isn't your legit tall. So, really, we've only got 2 legit options for 4 and 5. Simpson can play 4 or 5 and is a good inside, post presence, which is in contrast to DJ and Petrie. I think he'd be a good fit.
He's obviously a very bad free throw shooter, but so was most of the team last year tbh (Simpson's substantially worse, but it's not like we rely on knocking down free throws to compete). Diamon offers a lot outside of that one glaring weakness.

Reply #535736 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Im a big Simpson fan but if we signed him again our second import needs to be able to hit the 3 ball consistently. Were looking short on shooters again

Reply #535737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im very concerned about what the 6ers are going to dish up this season. Motum is a bigger loss than people give it credit for. And at a reduced salary Schenscher shouldve been retained for height insurance purposes. No idea of this Hodgson guy but reports say his knees are an issue. If he was legit and fit he wouldnt be so cheap.

Reply #535739 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

As long as we don't spend too much to get him I think this would be a good get.

Then spend as much as practicable to get a scoring combo guard

Reply #535743 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd definitely love to see this bloke back in 36ers colours. Hopefully the free throw shooting has improved since. I loved the rebounds and hustle from this bloke. I think the man would flourish under Joey.

Don't forget the previous Coach made the Imports look hideious, not suit there game and how many did we chew through during that 3 season of misery.

Ps: high 5 to that Twitter bloke who sent that tweet to Diamond.

Reply #535760 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Regarding the foul shots its interesting to see Schenscher went from 74.6% (135-181) in his first season to 40.8% (31-76) last season. How does someone drop so low! Even the season before he was 59.5% so he dropped 18.7% in one season. His shooting action from the foul line looks decent for a big guy so it must just be a confidence thing.

Reply #535761 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Diamon Simpson is a perfect addition to this squad. Simpson will come in average 16 & 11 if used right. Also, with DJ and Simpson both having a solid mid range jumper, the lanes are open for Gibbo and our 2nd import to wreak havoc. Simpson is something this organization has needed for a long time, an athletic inside two-way presence.

Reply #535783 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Sixers Fan you write as though its a done deal... know something we dont!

Reply #535809 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Please bring him back!

He will be even better under a competent coach!

Reply #535831 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

My recollection is that Diamon had a competent short game, average to non-existent mid-range game (beyond about 8 feet), was good on the O boards and put-backs and certainly was a workhorse. He also got to the free throw line a LOT, but repeatedly killed us from there. His action was cringe-inducing. I was not too disappointed he was not retained, he was at best the 'best' of a very poor crop.

I am also not really sure about his reputed defensive prowess. The team's inside D leaked like a sieve that year, although to be honest that could be more on Adam Ballinger and Daniel Johnson (I don't think we played DS very much if at all in combo with Wade Helliwell).

Reply #535870 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

signed by houston rockets after that season here

Reply #535875 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Where as far as I can tell he never played a single game

Reply #535886 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

He didn't play a game. Since playing in Spain and Israel and top leagues like that, Diamon has improved dramatically. He played more small forward and his shooting improved, free throw shooting still isn't that flash.

Reply #535894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754