Anonymous
Years ago

Ben Simmons chances of playing in 2016 Olympics?

Anyone know whether he is likely to suit up for the Boomers next year at the 2016 Rio Olympics?

I would love to be proven wrong but I can't see him participating.

He will likely go Number 1 in the 2016 NBA Draft and the Olympics commence not long after the Draft.

I think he will have too much media work to do and you would think the NBA team that selects him will prefer him not to participate at the Olympics.

Thoughts?

Topic #37435 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he will play.
Long wait between Olympics.

Reply #536324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if he has indicated that he wants to be part of it?

Reply #536327 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

My thoughts are less related to any particular player not playing for their country in the Olympics but more about the reason or will to want to play.

The Olympics is the pinnacle an athlete can reach in their sport, given that the sport is one which fits this criteria (such as swimming, gymnastics or track & field for example).

Basketball and many team sports in particular which are played at an elite level to the extent that the NBA is, provide athletes with a pinnacle every season.

Many of these sports also have world championships or a world cup periodically, where once again the pinnacle or close to it can be achieved.

The Olympics, in the case of Australia and where basketball is concerned is of course highly rated by us, because we love the Olympics and hold dear the privilage of representing our country.

That said though, it isn't the pinnacle for players at NBA level, so one might ask the question, what is his incentive to play if he makes the NBA?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Reply #536328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many consider representing your country at the highest level, in any sport, as the pinnacle

Reply #536330 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

While that isn't untrue anon^, it is fact that the Olympics is not the pinnacle for some sports, whether an individual considers this to be the case or not...

Reply #536333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as a side note, Peak Sports have Australian Boomers replica singlets you can buy and you can have any name on it you like, even your own!!

Go here:
http://www.peaksport.com.au/collections/replica-singlets

Reply #536334 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

I think for Simmons that playing against quality opposition would be a positive , and a team drafting him would likely think so to.

Only if he has injury concerns or if the dates line up with any important team camps I think he may be pulled.

I definitely think we should include him in the last spot as he is quite physically advanced and should be able to compete well as one of the bench players. It will depend on the balance of bigs and our core players whether we need to stack the back end with shooters.

Reply #536340 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Previously, players representing their countries has depended on their NBA team who own their contracts and the issue of insuring the player against injury (which can be too expensive). I seem to recall that this has previously happened to Australian player/s.

Reply #536352 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Wouldnt the Olympics be a much better preparation than Summer League?

Reply #536359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is 6'10 240+ And getting bigger.
Bigger than most sf's in the nba. Only Lebron is bigger in terms of weight (260 lbs)
By the time Simmons finishes college he might be even bigger but will he lose some of his agility/speed?

Reply #536361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There hasn't been a better player come up the ranks since Lebron James. Will be a future NBA MVP.

Reply #536410 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

An additional point of emphasis from Ben will be suiting up will Dante again, these two guys are seriously close.

Reply #536451 | Report this post

billy holye  
Years ago

Don't imagine Simmons would play. Got snubbed for the world champs and typical of Aussie Hoops we can't see past the nose on our face when it comes to projecting young talent and putting teams together for the future. Also look at what happened to Dante Exum....NBA Draft #5 pick and played behind NBL players and got garbage minutes on a team that struggled to finish in top 8 hardly a good endorsement for the olympics and how the Boomers opperate.
Simmons would be better off sitting out playing the next 3 Olympics for sure maybe 4....possibly lead us to a medal under a fresh coaching staff possibly.

Reply #536472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ bah humbug

Reply #536479 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

Billy hoyle, I hope that was a joke? If he sat out the next 3 or 4 Olympics, he would be mid- late 30s before suiting up. Also, if Dante started for the boomers last year, we wouldn't have even come top 16. We needed guys who were experienced to lead the team, only now does Dante look like he is becoming a genuine player

Reply #536491 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Exum was better than the alternatives at that point in time, he would've got more minutes. He was drafted on potential, not just on ability at the time. Why am I responding to such a troll?!

Reply #536498 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

billy hoyle, the boomers aren't meant to be a development team, we have plenty of teams for that. If we kept worrying about tomorrow, we would never capitalise on today. I think you will find that our pathway from youth teams to the Boomers is very strong. We have upwards of 30 players that can fill in for Boomers spots on any given night due to the development done in the past few years. What do you think the Sino series and the emerging boomers and Under 19 teams are about? Last year, the NBL guards were more ready than Exum, but next year it will be a different story.

Reply #536511 | Report this post

billy holye  
Years ago

Firstly I said Ben Simmons could sit out of Rio and still play in 3-4 more olympics.
Secondly if our development programs are so amazing why are so many kids going over to the US for high school and how did our U19 team just get smoked at the worlds?
Thirdly the NBL and Boomers are in the state they are in because they only think of today and not tomorrow. You never ever ever play an NBL guy over and NBA young draft pick unless that NBL guy is starting and better be helping you win....Gibson was neither....Aussie basketball needs to start to learn how to manage the young talent coming through or there will be a bunch of good players turning down the boomers in the future to concentrate on their own careers.

Reply #536615 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754