Anonymous
Years ago

Under 17 squads

What are everybody's thoughts on under 17 squads?

Topic #37542 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd choices in both teams imo.

Reply #538528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your son/daughter definitely should have made it.

Reply #538529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ What he/she said.

If he/she is Callum Dalton's mom/dad.

Reply #538530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one thinks dalton should have been a shoe in?

Reply #538532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought he would have walked into the side, especially over the NSW kid. Dalton was amazingly good at U16s. Maybe he had a bad camp.

Reply #538537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this how they lineup?

U17 girls
Cubillo/Shelley
Simmons/george/Simons
McLean/Rowe
Mcspadden/pizzey/batish
Magbegor/cochrane

U17 boys
Dent/zunic
Bines/Elkaz/mudronja
Fullarton/Starr
Froling/johns/Griffiths
Fakira/Colina

Reply #538548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if he didn't have a great camp Dalton did enough at nationals to make the team! One of the top scorers, top rebounders and blocked shots! Maybe if he was from nsw????

Reply #538552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whens the last time anyone saw Colina or Griffiths play?

Reply #538553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is oceanias ... so no doubt the team will change in the next 6 months.

Reply #538554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if he didn't have a great camp Dalton did enough at nationals to make the team! One of the top scorers, top rebounders and blocked shots! Maybe if he was from nsw????

Reply #538555 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Need to chill out about the top age 16's who missed out as there is next year, although given this years selection maybe they should be worried they too may be knocked out by bottom age 17's like those top age knocked out this year..
Will wait and see the results at the tournament then critic the selection..

Reply #538573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #538583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought for sure the front court would be..

The bigger lineup of:
Froling/runnalls/fakira
Dalton/Colina

Johns and Griffiths are both what 6'6?

Reply #538584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Too many 5s in that lineup. Stretch 4s are all the rage these days.

Reply #538588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many in both teams are top age 16's

Reply #538626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dent, Froling, Fakira top age 16s for the boys.

Agree w/ #588 that the Froling/Runnalls/Fakira combo at the 4-spot would be too post-centric. Froling the only one of that group who can play off the perimeter. But makes Dalton's exclusion even more surprising as he showed some of that ability at Nationals. I agree with the comments above that even a bad camp shouldn't have kept him out - unless it were attitude/disinterest - because his Nationals performance was outstanding.

Reply #538640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ 584 I a also not convinced about Johns. Stats quoted are low 5 points and 4 rebounds a game at Nationals !. Justin must like him. Good luck to both teams, but as stated only the first hurdle.

Reply #538644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These teams could easily change over the next six months

Reply #538647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only people who base their opinion solely on stats are those who don't know these kids and are making a guess or those who are in fact not knowledgeable about how at all.

Take note, I refrained from calling you stupid morons, because that wouldn't be nice.

Just like talking crap based only on meaningless stats isn't smart.

Reply #538648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop whinging about top age 16s not being selected. Was exactly the same 2 years ago when Watkins was selecting players for this team. Many boys who dominated at 2013 Under 16 Nationals weren't selected in favour of older U17 boys. The younger ones will have their turn when they're top age.

And remember you don't have to play for Austtalia to be a great player or have a successful career in the sport. Look at the kids who take the U.S. pathway instead of staying here in the hope of gaining national selection.

Reply #538658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can some one put the heights and possible positions

Reply #538660 | Report this post

ere tis  
Years ago

if you need to know heights and positions yet again scan through the 170 plus posts already listed.
Topic name "Aus U17 Men's first training camp"

Reply #538663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find the only top age u16 kid anyone's complaining about is Dalton. And personally, I have no idea whether he should have been picked ahead of Colina, Johns or Griffiths. But the gap between him and Fakira at u16s was pretty huge. So that's not about older kids being picked ahead, that's about a kid the same age who performed at a significantly lower level at a recent national championship being picked ahead.

Reply #538667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players who missed out this time around should have been given some feedback as to why they've missed out

Reply #538669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fakira is a legit 5 man.

What is Dalton? Dalton is a hell of a player but where does he fit?

No I'm not an Aussie coach but I was there at 16 Nats.

Reply #538671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Fit is a fair question, and I guess as a playmaking 4, Froling > Dalton. But while Fakira is a 'legit' 5, I don't know that he's better in that role, offensively or defensively, than Dalton. My read on it was that Dalton had the versatility to do other things, whereas Fakira does not. But I'd still take Dalton at C.

Reply #538672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How important is it for players to be able to play more then one position

Reply #538674 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe a simple answer for Fakira-What State-who is the Coach.

His stats were not great at Nationals compared to Dalton.

Reply #538679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If dalton can play pf also..
Why is Griffiths in the squad?
What tournament did he last play?

Reply #538680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are other kids who missed out to get in line and get over it

Reply #538683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before you all get too carried away with who should be in and wholesalers shouldn't I think you would all be wise to aquaint yourself with Andrew Bogut's story. He got cut from a Vic Metro U18 team. Went on to be an NBA No. 1 Daft pick.

The moral is Coaches can & do get selections, plays, game style, etc wrong. Some can't see future potential. But coaches are charged with picking a team that they THINK will win. Key word here is THINK.

They, like you & I have opinions. Doesn't mean to say they are right & we are wrong or vice versa. It's just a difference of opinion.

After seeing Watkins & Co put together the last U17 team, I can say that there were changes from the Oceania team to the final team they took to the world championship. Of the available boys I can honestly say only one player WMW should have been in the team that went to Dubai. But I believe he & or his family made himself unavailable.

Having been close to the process last time, 12 months at this age is a big difference in the players' development phase. It gets less each year. No doubt the team they have picked now will be different next year for the Worlds, subject to them winning.

For those that missed out this time it is not the end of the world. Keep working hard at your game & do more to prove your non selection was wrong. That's what Bogut did.

Good luck to all. Hope you win.

Reply #538698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn auto correct on a tablet. Wholesalers should be who shouldn't

Reply #538699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Night story, lots of people tell it, few know it.

Reply #538732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754