Anonymous
Years ago

Can a referee be judge, jury and executioner?

If a junior player is ejected for committing a foul that whilst on purpose for end of games reasons that was basically the offensive player stopping short and the defender falling into him and they both fall to the floor with no malice, injury or exception taken by the other team, does that give the right for the referee to walk to the score table and announce the player will be suspended for 2 weeks?
I haven't read the guidelines but is it a mandatory 2 weeks for being ejected? And if not how unprofessional is it for the referee to state this when he wasn't in position to see the whole play. Foul yes, excessive contact probably, ejection probably not, suspension crazy.
South australian umpires = Judge Dredd

Topic #37552 | Report this topic

new order  
Years ago

no everything has to go to tribunal - ejection is just the vicinity of the court for that day

Reply #538740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in social if ejected it is an automatic suspension perhaps ref was confused with this by law that is not applicable at junior level.

Reply #538744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw a ref on another court have a go at a coach for not standing inside the coaching line. Was during a game and that ref wasn't reffing that coach he was just being a dick. Seems they can do what they want when it suits them.

Reply #538748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes they can do or not do what they like. Sick Of watching games that are ruined by refs thinking the game is about them. As they say a good reffed game is where you do not notice them.

Reply #538754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you were at the forestville Norwood game too. Yes, in basketball if you blatantly tackle someone to the floor you can be ejected. Guy who tried to take out forestvilles smallest player on a layup right at the end should have been kicked out too. Fat coach maybe should have stood up at some point during the last quarter and told his team to calm down. Sorry your son was kicked out but tackling is not a basketball play

Reply #538758 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Well now that sounded like an interesting game....

Reply #538761 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Well the refs always get players suspended. The tribunal is a rubbish process that favours the word of a referee and never listens to a players griviences. So the ref is in a way all three.

Reply #538776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you insane Ricey??

The tribunal process does certainly not favour referees at all. I have seen so many cases of threatening abuse and actions resulting in suspended sentences, with the abuse often directed towards teenagers.

You mention players grievances? Sounds like players excuses as to why they think it is okay to abuse referees and threaten them. "the referee let us get fouled all game without calls, so it is okay to tell them I am going to kick their head in"

Reply #538782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Methinks ricey got ejected at Mars last night

Reply #538789 | Report this post

Full story?  
Years ago

Pretty sure the referee said that it would've been a 2 week suspension in footy, not for the kid in question. The kid piledrove the Forestville kid into the ground straight after an unsportsmanlike was called 15 game seconds earlier. A second unsportsmanlike would've been wrong.

Reply #538836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tribunal isnt there to listen to how you think the ref missed a call. Just because a ref misses 1,2 or 5 calls dpes not give the player the right to go off his nut. The tribunal will ask...did you say this? Did you threaten with this? Because the ref makes a mistake or several doesnt give you the right to call him a C you next tuesday. The tribunal finds you guilty because of your actions. Maybe take responsibility for you actions rather than blaming someone else because you have no self control

Reply #538845 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

From where I was sitting it was a poor and clumsy attempt to foul to stop the clock in the dieing seconds of the game. There was a pull of the jersey and a tangle of bodies as they fell to the ground. If anything it looked like the Norwood guy tried to hold them both up and not "piledrive" the Eagles kid. It may well have been unsportsmanlike but is didn't warrant disqualification. The previous unsportsmanlike foul was on a different player and it too was a strange call. Hard foul to stop the clock yes but not unsportsmanlike. To be honest it was a physical "chippy" game all night and by the time the ref decided to try and settle things down it was too late. It looked to me as though he thought it was "his time to shine" so decided to make overly theatrical calls to put the focus back on him which was a pity as it was a tough, fast and physical game on U18 basketball that was overshadowed by the refs in the end. I hope the Norwood kid doesn't get suspended because it's not deserved.

And before you throw the typical parent line at me just know that I'm from the Eagles and in no way connected to anyone on either U18 team.

Reply #538851 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

And people wonder why I like to record most of the games I coach, apart from being a film junkie from a coaching perspective, it makes life a lot easier if these things ever happen...

Reply #538857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recording junior basketball games in case something wrong or bad happens is not why you should do it.

Agree that players have little or no excuse for threatening or abusing a referee, but referees should not be able to tech' or report players for frustration.

Referees should be taught to understand and recognise frustration over poor attitudes or aggressiveness.

Warnings are a good use of people skills as is talking to a player who is obviously becoming frustrated at poor officiating.

It needs to go both ways to a point and I am not saying referees need a psych' degree, they just need to be human and not be power hungry dicks, players also need to be more accepting that mistakes are made by both players and referees and also not be dicks.

That's the answer, less dicks on court!

Reply #538866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #538866 you need to read the FIBA rules on unsportsmanlike behavior. Disputing refs calls is a tech foul. Unsportsmanlike conduct without contact is a tech foul. Audible swearing is a technical foul.

Not playing the ball and/or hard and excessive contact is a USF.

Deciphering between frustration and the act is not up to the ref, applying the rules of the game are.

Reply #538869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any body apart from the refs think they are doing a good job. not me. Sick of watching crap games where the refs find a picky foul and then somebody takes free throws to decide who wins the game. And we whine when nobody wants to watch that crap on tv. Go and watch the games now compared to the 90s hardly any decided by three throws.

Reply #538910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville were up 10 with a minute to play, game was hardly decided by the call

Reply #538920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #869 who is quoting FIBA rules, where did anon #866 ever mention disputing calls, swearing or unsportsmanlike behavior?

The problem with referees (you are probably one) is that they often forget the game is played by humans, humans have emotions and are not robots to be handled by people who interpret rules incorrectly.

Referees who think that any little disputed call or question is a tech foul because they are too lazy to give a warning or just communicate like a human should are part of the problem and probably should just stick to directing traffic or giving parking fines for a job.

The rules are the rules, but it is the interpretation of them that is the real problem. Sure, if a player carries on and swears or is just being an unsportsmanlike fool he or she should be dealt with. But this whole thing where any disputing of a call can be used to throw a quick tech because a referee is having a bad day is annoying and I see it all the time.

Reply #538938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754