LC
Years ago

Cambage chooses Music over Opals

In a statement released by Basketball Australia, Elizabeth Cambage made herself unavailable for the three games series against Japan commencing on Monday, and therefore has since been ruled out of the FIBA Oceania Championships as well.

Opals head coach Brendan Joyce was forced to make the call on Cambage's exclusion after she reportedly chose to attend a music festival that saw her miss the first day of Opals training camp.

Cambage ruled out of Opals for choosing music over hoops

Roy Ward further reports that she attended a music festival in Byron Bay and missed Opals training camp leading to her omission.

Wow.

Topic #37566 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, the Sir Eric Pearce of Hoops

Reply #539022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was a millionaire 23 year old athlete who had a 40k a year side gig (opals) I probably wouldn't be too fussed about missing day or 2 of side gig basketball camp for a music festival gig that would have been booked a long way ahead of time.

Also, BA helped her with her rehab? She did the injury on BA time. Of course they should help her with her rehab. She missed out on 500k+ due to that injury. I doubt BA helped her with the 500k + that she lost due to not playing in China this past season.

Also, it was clearly an issue for choc and jarry. I'm sure they could have just covered up the reasons and said she had a slight setback and left it at that, instead of calling her out in the media.

Reply #539030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah pretty hard for anyone to find this and write an online article. Source Roy Ward who had the scoop.
Sir Eric Pearce would be turning over in his grave at the comparison.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/liz-cambage-out-of-opals-rio-olympic-qualifiers-after-missing-start-of-camp-20150726-gikuwf.html

Reply #539031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sir Eric with the late news...

Reply #539032 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Recovering from an injury like Achilles and likely she wouldn't be playing anyhow, why not have some R&R to recharge your emotional wellbeing ready for the big dance. No diff to the whole Patty issue except he didn't go to a concert... or did he ?

Reply #539033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgraceful. Regardless of $... she needs to decide whether or not she has pride in playing for Aus. otherwise stay in china and make the money

Reply #539034 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

So much hate, maybe she wanted to get away and be normal and get away from the hate and being treated like a commodity.. move on people, it's her life..

Reply #539037 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Joyce play a quick tempo and full defense for the opals. Not sure is Cambage can cope with the pace.

Reply #539038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz always has been and always will be all about liz. Team & country not important.

Reply #539040 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Sucks for the opals and the fans but as was stated she's 23 and plays a ton of Bball (plus the rehab) let these kids have some fun and be normal once in a while or the burnout could be even worse id say.

Reply #539043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She absolutely is entitled to go to a music festival if she wants. She just can't complain if and when that results in her being punished by the national team. Same goes for any Liz fans.

Reply #539045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop defending her. Think of all the social events the girls in that team have missed because they are committed. Things more important than a festival like weddings! There are no special rules for individuals. You're either in. Or you're out.

Reply #539047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She plays a ton of basketball? When is that?

Reply #539048 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Curtley, you do realise you were still signed in...

And my piece was based on two sources as referenced in it clearly. BA & Roy Ward.

Reply #539052 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I saw Liz at a festival during New Years time. That girl knows how to party!

Reply #539053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the final 12 squad members are?

Madgen/Wilson
Ebzery/kunek/snell
Jarry/Talbot/Blicavs
Hodges/penaluna
Batkovic/burton

I couldn't see lavey, Clydesdale or Garrick in the pics on basketball Australia.
Could be wrong...

Nz tall ferns 2015
5'9 Cocks/5'8 hunter
6'0 Beck/5'10 gallaher/5'11 paalvast
6'0 Taylor/6'1 bygate/6'0 wallbutton
6'2 Purcell/6'2 Boagni
6'8 Craig/6'3 Davidson

Reply #539072 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Tolo ????

Reply #539073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah no Phillips, Mitchell, Francis, tolo, allen, ohea, Taylor or Jackson.
Wnba or injured...

Reply #539075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah didn't Madgen miss her brothers wedding because she had Opals duty?
Cambage is a gifted athlete with the world at her feet. She is just headstrong and wants to live large. However there are sometimes repercussions and accountabilities

Reply #539076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably last time representing Australia for these girls if chosen?
Phillips, Mitchell, snell, Taylor, hodges, Jackson, batkovic.

Reply #539079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just saw this one
"LIZ Cambage has said she will consider legal action if Basketball Australia did not overturn a sensational playing ban imposed on the Opals star"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-basketball-star-liz-cambage-dropped-from-opals-after-missing-camp-to-attend-music-festival/story-fni2u9cl-1227457738410

The highlight is this part
"I am a person that does not pull out of things"
Bahahahahaha!!! Does she really think that? The player who was on her way to Tulsa for a WNBA season and then infamously changed her mind mid trip and flew home to Melbourne, is telling us she does not pull out of things? She doesn't pull out of music festivals I will give her that much. Credit where it is due, her mates were relying on her to dance with them and she made sure she came through for them.

Reply #539083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is supposed to be an honour to be chosen to represent your country, one that of course does not pay in monetary terms but certainly allows the financial doors of sponsors and professional teams to open to allow the monetary benefits to flow. Liz cambage has benefitted from this yet feels her importance to such a team gives her the right to choose a music festival , one that is on every year and one of many that are available for her to attend around the world when not required for national team duties. Yes it is HER choice, but what an arrogant and misguided one to make.
So many sacrifices are made by these elite athletes during their development but that's what it takes if they want to pursue a sport at a professional level.
It's called commitment, dedication and responsibility, it's required in all aspects of a successful life. What a shame liz either has not had advisers to guide her through this or she's chosen not to listen.
Joyce made the right call

Reply #539084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We honestly didn't need her anyway. More recovery time for her.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next year when all players that are either in the wnba or injured come into camp.

I Mean..
Phillips/Mitchell
Taylor/allen
Ohea/
Francis/tolo
Cambage/Jackson

That means their will only be 3 spots available.
And you almost can put your money Joyce picking lavey, jarry and burton as the other 3.

Reply #539085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agree re lavey burton they are guaranteed but not so much jarry

Reply #539086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot over jarry maybe?

Reply #539087 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Cambage doesn't take her basketball seriously enough. I believe she missed out on a full NBA season for a stupid reason as well. While I am 100 percent against Basketball Australia denying Patty Mills a shot at the qualifiers for being injured, I am completely behind them sacking Liz Cambage for considering Splendour in the Grass to be a better thing to do.
If representing your country comes in second to going to a music festival; hand in your Opals uniform and never come back.

Reply #539088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She probably should.
What I don't get is why she comes out with these dumb remarks about how important it is to her to represent her country. It clearly isn't. I don't think she could give less of a f--- about it in fact.
I don't begrudge her that. If she wants to skip the Opals and skip the WNBA and have a cruisey life earning big $$$ for 5 months in China and then partying the other 7 months of the year then she should go for it. I would respect that. Hell I might choose that route myself in her shoes. No shame in that. But why mess everyone else around by bullshitting? Play or don't play, but make your damn mind up and don't disrupt the team. She walks into a spot but some of these other players are working their absolute arses off just for a spot on the team even if it means missing out some games and playing a garbage minute in others. They want it badly, and I'll bet it would shit them no end to have Liz partying at concerts while they are training and then just waltz into the starting lineup when Rio comes around.
So good onya BJ & BA. If players don't want to be there then f--- 'em. Team comes first!

Reply #539089 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

She's talking absolute rubbish too.

After being involved with the music industry having booked acts and tours, including for festivals like this, I have never ever met a band that has paid for an athlete, and a female one who would have zero pulling power at that for punters, to be a "host". Absolute rubbish. She's talking out her ass, and most likely is friends with the act. In what capacity would a musician need a "host" to perform to 20,000 people, in a 60 minute performance.

Good call dropping her. Doing it publicly maybe not so much, but can understand it being a decision thinking it might help get her head together but obviously wrong decision.

You can tell she is selfish and out of her mind just to contemplate taking legal action over this, which she would lose and probably ruin her international career as a result.

Reply #539090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're a 6"8 women basketball player with talent its pretty hard to ruin your international career (see Britney Griner TMZ).

Reply #539091 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

I should clarify what I posted earlier, when I said let them have some fun I was saying that as it's her choice to not play etc and do other things, not what any of us would call a great decision and she clearly has a record for this kind of thing....but I would say that she just may be the type that plays bball because she is very tall and likes the game but not loves it like so many others at the top (u cant teach height). Similar in some respects to Bynum in the NBA for those of you that remember the headache's he caused, so much potential but just lacked the drive. Now in saying that she cant cry after she gets dropped etc and shes the one that made the call not to commit etc, cant have it both ways.

Reply #539092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you do nothing for 2/3s of the year (apart from rehab) and then choose to go to music concert when it's time to go to work.

Reply #539093 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wonder if this forum mirrors Bernard Tomic re: Davis Cup and disrespect shown?

In reading the headline I was excited that Tolo, Francis and/or bishop could step in and really prove their worth but with none of those available I think we look far more depleted than we are and that's what makes it a more selfish decision.

If above post is correct then we don't have any natural ball handling playmakers in that team... I'd love to be proven wrong

Reply #539114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reports pinging from byron bay

Reply #539119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's such a clicky group and a real mates for mates or maybe Dates fr Dates....! It seems if you weren't in LJ or Taylor's "crew" you never got a gig and appears same power struggle is happening again. BA gave her little notice of the camp and the music event she was working at was scheduled 6 months out.

She has business interests outside bball and let's be frank if we want holder need liz playing well.

Such tall poppy syndrome is said, just cause she gets paid big coin ppl want to drag her down!

Can't believe ppl actually think we'd be better without her!

Reply #539122 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Let it go people. BA will deal with it and there may be more to it, or not.

Reply #539125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I know I said I'd come to your party, but I've got commitments with the Australian team now this weekend"

Reply #539126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't think we can beat nz without her?

We don't need her until rio build up anyways...
Let her do her thing until then. Let the others fight for spots.

Batkovic, burton, penaluna and hodges will be fine against Purcell, Boagni, Craig and Davidson.

Reply #539128 | Report this post

"It seems if you weren't in LJ or Taylor's "crew" you never got a gig and appears same power struggle is happening again. BA gave her little notice of the camp and the music event she was working at was scheduled 6 months out."

Or, the players understand that it needs to be 100% commitment and anyone that isn't committed is hurting the team.

What work exactly was she doing?

If she just came out and said that basketball isn't her entire life and she wanted to do something with her friends and doesn't mind if that means she misses the cut, thats fine. Instead, she doesn't want to do the team thing, makes up some crap about working and then complains about the outcome to the media, including threatening legal action. I'm sure playing the race card is next. That isn't ok. She is putting herself ahead of her team mates.

Reply #539132 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So, in every individual the two trends, one toward personal happiness and the other toward unity with the rest of humanity, must contend with each other.

Reply #539139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure burton will be just fine BJ will be happy

Reply #539140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has always made junior rep sides without trying out (always played the injured card ). So has grown up with the attitude that she will always be picked regardless of attending try outs. I blame these vic rep
Coaches who let her get away with it for all those years. She has a sense of entitlement and its just not good enough. All the other players give up everything for a chance to be selected. Good on Basketball Australia!!

Reply #539146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds just like someone in the current Sapphires squad.

If it is good enough for Durant and Love to have to show up for the USA Mining camp even when they're injured, good decision by the players and BA.

Reply #539163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like she doesn't really care, shame all that talent. But right or wrong will be hard for her to gain any respect from her teammates at this point. All over a music festival, put that in perspective.... dumb.

Reply #539183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She should go party and hook up with Bernie T, match made in heaven.

Reply #539184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC
Did you bother to ask Miss Cambage why she went? It appears it was a prior arrangement. And now all the ferals are out knocking her.

Reply #539389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who in the current sapphires squad are you referring?

Reply #539391 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Love to see Abby Bishop and Cambage.
Liz not a good decision!! Your better than that

Reply #539404 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We ran a follow up story today.

Still not a great decision by Cambage IMO.

Nobody wins.

Reply #539405 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

Regardless of Liz having agreeing to attend, she could have easily advise that she know has commitments to playing for her country, if its a paying gig (attending music festival), i am sure its was peanuts, and she has just signed a massive deal in china. Its a disgrace putting appearance fee and music before committing to the success of the opals and adhering to a team culture. She surely knew the consequences and was calling BA bluff and its backfired, she needs to look at her agent .. i also read joyce's comments he said she will be welcome back for olympic year, which is great as she is needed in the team as she is a gun, its her attitude and looks like her management that need to be changed ...

Reply #539407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so as article says
"Cambage had apparently committed to the Byron Bay music festival as a "paid host for a band", only because dates for the Opals training camp and the Japan games were uncertain earlier"

Poor form by Basketball Australia IMO, should Cambage have to ring BA for permission any time she wants to arrange things?

and most people that brought tickets for the Women's game would have because they wanted to see Cambage play. surely they could have given an other penalty

Reply #539410 | Report this post

What the hell is a "paid host for a band?"

Reply #539411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze was just saying on SEN that she met with BA yesterday and she turned up with her manager and two lawyers.

Reply #539444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze is BA's puppet

Reply #539449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bought tickets to watch the Opals play, regardless of who's in the line up. The Opals squad represents the top echelon of Australian women's basketball, and are always great to watch regardless of which individual players are suiting up.

If the coaches can't set a few high standards at that level then what hope is there for the rest of us plebs coaching at a junior level trying to ingrain intangibles like work ethic, team commitment, priorities, etc?

It would've been nice for my junior team to have seen Liz in action, but more importantly they've learned that even when you're an automatic selection, if you don't put the team first there's consequences, no one player is/should be above the team.

Reply #539453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what you all seem to have missed is BA gave her the option of coming to camp on the Sunday so she could still attend the opening gig Saturday(miss one session of the camp), BUT Liz refused and wanted to stay till Monday.
NOW tell me where in that decision is commitment.
This concert is on every single year. and on the money she is on she would NOT be doing it for the money (they pay people nothing to do what she claims she was doing) and WHY would a music gig want a women's basketball player to begin with.
I think BA have made the absolute correct decision, Liz has only herself to blame which should be very easy as after all its always ALL about her.
She is also already a National player and thye sign contracts for that too, so where is her commitment to that, I say let her go, her type of work ethos makes a joke out of those who work their backsides off to earn a spot. The opals can and will survive very well without liz, they did just fine when she did her achillies without any prep of playing without her, personally think Joyce makes questionable choices many times but this one he is spot on.

Reply #539458 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This is a PR battle Liz will not come out on the right side of, even if she thought she was fulfilling a prior commitment.

Almost like trying to justify a chopper flight to Geelong.

Reply #539462 | Report this post

If she takes this to court then she will be asked to reveal the specifics of this "paid host" gig. That won't end well.

Whoever is advising her should stop. Whoever isn't advising her needs to step in.

Reply #539463 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I guess she could take her non-selection to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

I can just see the argument now: 'But I had a note from my mum!'

Reply #539464 | Report this post

Rocking up with lawyers would not have been the smartest move to win back the trust of her team mates.

Reply #539470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if i arranged to go function on the weekend and i ask my work beforehand and they have no idea whether they require me on that weekend or not. So arrange everything and then work goes and says oh we need you.

I suppose all the people criticizing Cambage would happily cancel everything and have gone.

Reply #539489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a goose!

Reply #539492 | Report this post

#489 if your work was national duties, yes you would be expected to go to work.

Reply #539493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not her employer. That's her Chinese team.

This is her national team.

If she chooses not to go to camp then she should accept she doesn't make the touring group.

All she is doing now is creating a greater division between herself and the coaches and her peers. Who all seem consistent in their opinion Liz is wrong.

Plus this is not the first time she has shown a lack of commitment.

And going to the court of arbitration will do what? Enable her to make a team where a coach can play her zero minutes. Or is she expecting them to guarantee her a starting spot and 25 minutes a game???

Reply #539504 | Report this post

billy holye  
Years ago

At the end of the day Liz gets played a lot of money to play in China....If Boomers and Opals had a better system for camps to accommodate our high level players then this sort of stuff would not be an issue....Problem is our senior camps look like our junior camps....What professional player needs to do fitness testing?
Our senior programs need to grow up in their approach we have major talent on major money and we are doing a poor job of moving with the times....Australia is not a big enough basketball country to suspend and not pick the best players...If she doesn't want to play be done with it if she does and can't be at camp get over yourself Joyce and put her in the team knowing she is a WNBA level pro....stop treating these pros like U16 players.

Reply #539518 | Report this post

Yep you shouldn't have to train a single time with your team after missing a year with a torn Achilles. Just walk straight back in for a match. It's common sense. This isn't kindergarten.

Reply #539520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Billy..

If she wants to miss games during the Olympics cause she is hosting the Columbian cycling team that should be ok too, it won't impact team culture at all. (This is also sarcasm)

That her team mates have come out publicly and agreed with the coaches speaks volumes,

If the coach where too play her they would lose the trust and respect of all the other players in the team.

Reply #539524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and just when has she actually played in the WNBA she baulked on that too LOL
All pro athletes need fitness testing and especially ones coming back from injury, probably even more than the juniors who due to having youth on their side are generally naturally fitter than most anyway.
Its pure arrogant and ignorant minds that think what she has done should be acceptable because she's so dam tall.
better players willing to work their tails off, and its far more productive to have those on a team than one who thinks she doesn't have to work at all just turn up.

Reply #539525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be different if she had a history of being extremely reliable and committed, right? I feel like I couldn't care less whether she ever plays for the Opals because she seems like a head case who doesn't care except that playing for the Opals is the kind of thing you can brag about to your friends. But it's not really worth it if you have to put effort in. If this were the first time, I doubt I'd feel that way.

Reply #539576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be clear. Kevin Durant and Kevin Love had to turn up at the USA basketball mini camp even though they are injured and can't train. If they don't - no chance Olympics.

This is the kind of commitment required to play for your country.

Reply #539587 | Report this post

Hugh J.  
Years ago

Yes B.A. and BJ have made the right call. I don't care Liz or other people thinking how good she is, I'd be happy if they don't select her for Rio as well - then she might understand what team COMMITENT is all about!! You can't just walk in and out of an Opals team when it suits you? What is it with some of our young sports people these days? A lot of them - from many different sports seem to be walking around with their heads up their arse or in the clouds "Aw don't you know who I am" F.F.S.

Reply #539598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad nobody on hoops.com.au ever missed a Monday at work after a big weekend, or tried to compromise on conflicting obligations and got the mix completely wrong.

She is in her early 20s and made a mistake. Lets all calm down.

Liz would have been first selected to rep junior Australia at 15 or so and I haven't ever heard of her missing anything else over the last 8 years. Her decision this last weekend can be easily called into question although she has always gone all out in the green and gold. Her first half v the USA at the London Olypmics was pretty special and I hope this is the wake up call she needs to get her motivation sorted and we get to see her compete for the next 10 years in major tournaments.

Reply #539602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love Gaze in SEN oh BA helped with rehab etc where did she do the injury ?
Also Cambage was not told till june what the dates where I would have thought being a professional sports person you would be booking things a lot further in advance than that.

Reply #539620 | Report this post

Suddenly  
Years ago

So Lauren Jackson has known since "the start of the year" but somehow Liz missed the memo until June did she? Sounds fishy to me!

Reply #539629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree she has missed out on being a teenager and yes she has made a bad decision but not the end of the world!

Reply #539632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Splendour line-up was awesome though- good on you Liz!

Reply #539633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missed out on being a teenager? Lauren Jackson could make a claim like that but not Cambage.
Her problem is that she is about to turn 24 but is STILL acting like a teenager!

Reply #539634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more like a spoilt brat

Reply #539635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suddenly

They knew at the start of the year about upcoming games but the exact schedule was not released till June as in interview with KB and Andrew Gaze on SEN http://www.sen.com.au/audio
Did not even know where they where going to be Europe etc

Reply #539642 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

Who is her agent?

Reply #539646 | Report this post

Suddenly  
Years ago

Just listened. So it was known about since last November, repeated several times through until March, and exact dates/times locked in in June. And she was also given a special exception to attend only the last session on the Sunday to qualify even though the others had to attend the whole weekend. And neither of those were good enough for Liz.
She has quite a nerve to complain after all that!
Liz made her decision that gig > Opals and that is that. Obviously she figured she would get yet another piece of special diva treatment but this time the program was not interested in caving yet again. Rightfully so. It's supposed to be a team. One in, all in.

Reply #539647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so oh i have a tournament sometime in July so i will not do anything and sit by the phone and wait for a call. Glad you do not have a life suddenly

Reply #539657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the forum administrator stop Liz's Mum putting up support posts every 10 minutes. That's the only was I can explain anybody supporting her stance.

Reply #539664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it funny how all the other players had no problems at all making it to the training camp! :O
Maybe they do not have lives either. Or maybe they actually care about representing their country.
Do your daughter a favour and go through her school bag every week or two. That way the permission slip for camp won't get left in the bottom of the bag and forgotten about!

Reply #539665 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

I don't think its her mum, more her agent and pr team ...

Reply #539668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tend to agree with the person who said mum. I'd like to think that an agent or PR person wouldn't bring such weak retorts.

Reply #539673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever it is, they are not helping...

Reply #539701 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"There is nothing I want to do more. I am hopeful that I will still be able to play for my country and with my teammates at the Olympic qualifiers against New Zealand in Melbourne in August.

"I will make a submission to the Basketball Australia board urgently on why I believe I should be considered for team selection and to again reiterate that I had a paid job that I needed to fulfil on Sunday which I had committed to before the camp dates were formally locked in.

"As yet, I don't even have clearance from the team doctor to play competitively, and I hope to have that clearance over the next fortnight which would, all going well, see me take the court at Rod Laver Arena."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/liz-cambage-makes-plea-to-play-as-australian-opals-beat-japan-20150727-gillbv.html

Reply #539706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats to say that IF BA overturn their decision that Brendon Joyce will select her in the team for August.

"As yet, I don't even have clearance from the team doctor to play competitively, and I hope to have that clearance over the next fortnight which would, all going well, see me take the court at Rod Laver Arena."

The squad is still at 16.

Reply #539726 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

That's an interesting question.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to that. I see no reason for BA to want to, or to need to, back down.
The correct decision has been made and I don't think there is much doubt about that.

Reply #539727 | Report this post

If they reverse the decision, does someone else get cut?

Reply #539728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like jarry is off lizzy's christmas card list. classy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/basketballer-liz-cambage-returns-fire-on-facebook-over-team-row/story-fni2u9cl-1227461285016

Reply #539729 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

This is getting pretty sad now.

"If they reverse the decision, does someone else get cut?"
I guess there is wiggle room at the moment, since the Japan series this week is being played with an extended squad, which will presumably be cut down to 12 for the NZ series. So yes, an additional player would be cut to make way for Liz, but it's not like she would be directly taking away one particular player's spot the way it would be if only 12 were in action this week.

(It would still be pretty obvious whose place was taken though, given that Liz plays the 5 spot, and I couldn't see them cutting anything other than another 5 to make room for her)

Reply #539730 | Report this post

Pretty ordinary to "subtweet" your team mates.

Reply #539732 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Good work Cambage! Calling out team mates on twitter and insinuating your music festival "work" is more important than your Opals "attendance". Very good!

Lets see how this all bodes for you when you are trying to weasel your way back onto the team, hey?

Yeah, we get it! You don't think the camp is all that important and you don't think all that much of your team mates.

How about you just take it on the chin? You messed up, you're not playing this year. Don't burn your bridges, or you wont be playing next year either!

The Opals don't absolutely need Cambage. They will be back on the podium next year regardless of what she chooses to do. You can't put your fun above the team, and expect the team to put you above the team as well.

Immature little waste of talent she is.

Reply #539733 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Im one of the rare view who dosnt see the ultimate in sport playing for your country. Im a Professional sport and lets take Basketball the top honor would be winning a ring playing in either the NBA or WNBA. Where all the best of the best players play.

If she didnt want to play for the Opals like it appears then she said 'no thanks'

But to come back and demand to be back in the team is just wrong. Cant have it both ways.

Reply #539738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To Liz's mum suggesting that with unconfirmed dates in July, her only option was to plan nothing until dates were finalised: Hoops posters might not be brilliant, but we're smarter than that. It just means any plans you make are tentative until you know what your Opals commitments are. You know how many people in the country do this ALL THE TIME? Uni students waiting for exam timetables, shiftworkers waiting for next fortnight's roster, anyone whose job requires that they be on-call at certain times, and you know who else? I'm guessing professional basketball players playing in leagues like the NBA, WNBA, NBL, WNBL and everywhere else in the world who don't know whether their team is going to make the playoffs or how far they're going to advance.

Reply #539741 | Report this post

Good use of *'s there!

Reply #539767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is true then Cambage has no grounds to complain about being left out of Monday's match given she only planned to see her teammates next tuesday

Reply #539775 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Spoke to couple contacts at the festival. She's talking absolute tripe. She's not getting paid by any band as far as bunch of organisers and management I know there are aware. Would love to see her pull out a contract for her engagement, because we all know it won't exist.

Reply #539826 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754