Juno 74
Years ago

What was the reason Beveridge left Perth?

From the big signings that Illawara have announced, it is very clear that Bevo is highly respected by the basketball community. His coaching record at NBL level also speaks for itself. Perth in a way is still living off his recruiting power as I believe he was a big reason Damian Martin and Matt Knight came on board.

I understand that Bevo left due to differences with Nick Marvin. I'm not sure exactly with regard to what although the media appeared to play it up as Bevo's desire to apply for the Boomers coaching role at the time?

Can someone please clarify? It's one thing to bite the lip whilst Bevo is out of the league and Perth wins a championship in the first year he is gone, but after last year there are questions over how good a coach Gleeson really is and we see Bevo still commands extreme respect from the basketball community.

This from Penney:

"I'm excited to be joining the Illawarra Hawks family, the club is no doubt moving in the right direction and it will be a privilege to play ball for Rob Beveridge while also helping the Hawks become a sustainable force in the NBL," he said.

Was it simply an ego battle between Marvin and Bevo?

Topic #37569 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Almost every player talks up playing for the coach in the announcement. Remember all the jokes about "childhood hero Heal" in the past. Not saying players aren't happy to play for him, but I wouldn't point to a quote as evidence of their keen interest.

I think that's more applicable to Lisch and (as you said) players like Martin and Knight.

With Penney, it might be money and the available position being right. NZ have Abercrombie and Webster now. Could be that no other team was as keen on spending up at SF?

Reply #539135 | Report this post

Juno 74  
Years ago

Fair point, but it wasn't all about that quote. I found the pairing of the 'Gong and Penney an odd one. New Zealand may not have had room for him but surely other clubs would have had some interest?

Given the 'Gong also have Lisch and Ogilvy already on the books, I'd imagine Penney has also sacrificed some cash in this deal too. Which to me adds up to be willing to sacrifice in order to (in part) play for a great coach.

Reply #539137 | Report this post

I don't think the differences were as much between Marvin and Bevo as they were between Bendat and Bevo. It was "win or you're gone" mentality hanging over his head in his final season at that was coming from the top.

Couple that with the pressure of the Boomers gig (whoever won the title was getting the nod), plus some very personal issues with former Cats players, I think Bevo knows himself he needed a break.

Glad he is back in the league.

Reply #539138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra has been a battling, underdog club. Community based model, voluntary administration, non capital city.

For them to pull 3 nbl first team calibre players in one off season says a lot about Bevo.

Reply #539148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or a lot about the money thats been silently sitting in the closet.C'on be real here, Bevo is good but players want a good deal in a good area. Wollongong is a a beautiful place to chill, and the money is now there, no longer a weak financially challenged club. Penney went where the $$ were, nothing more nothing less and who could blame him.

Reply #539157 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Juno, factors might've been that Penney flew under the radar (teams assumed he would only play sunset years in NZ, or still had a gig in Europe). Also that he's 35 now. He relied on running around screens for years and that speed might dry up with time.

Money would be a big part of any of these deals, but Bevo doesn't have a reputation that would hamper his recruiting and certainly not with younger players (no rookies on the team though!). Gordie started pre-season notoriously early and that might not have excited all players.

Reply #539172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem in Perth was and will always be Marvin.
He's a micro-manager who undermines peoples authority and place within the Club. It's not just Bevo that has had issues with him and left.

Reply #539193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats the problem with most companies.... Marvin one of many if thats the case.

Reply #539198 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

watch the exodus from Perth , now Bevo has a stable gig with money to spend

Reply #539205 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Birdman: Im more concerned with the Exodus from Illawara if the name change and key big signings dont pull in the crowds. I think THAT is the big thing here. Its all well and good bringing in Bevo, Lisch, Penney and co but at the end of the time Illawara is going to sink or swim based on how many people it can get in through the gate. On paper this roster looks awesome, I just want to see the excitement it can bring directly translate into bums on seats.

Even with a lot of the stars out, The Wildcats were still pulling in 12K + crowds. Ive always respected the Hawks because they have managed to pull in a pretty decent crowd. They have also in recent years angled towards the same thing my own wildcats do.. targeting the family audience. Both teams crowds still harbor a lot of basketball obsessed people but thats not their target audience, its the family night out, its the entertainment.

I think it started before here:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/10/17/4109251.htm

but I definetly think this had an effect.

Reply #539247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said it previously elsewhere the 5 days a week NBL will be the testing point for all clubs.
How many times will Perth have to play Crocs or Hawks on a mid week night and vice versa.
All very well and good to have cash now from where I still don't know, but bums on seats mid week will be the key for all clubs now.

Reply #539257 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Out of interest is the Hawks location near a transport hub/train line etc?

Reply #539262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"All very well and good to have cash now from where I still don't know, but bums on seats mid week will be the key for all clubs now."

The NBL won't survive on bums on seats on any night or day. Revenue from broadcasters and sponsors is the key for all clubs and the league itself.

Reply #539269 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The Hawks stadium is on the beach, and about a 15 minute walk from the train station, I have done the Wollongong/Sydney double header against the 36ers (not with the club) twice and love going to the gong to watch games.

Reply #539271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin is a micro manager and annoying yes but also the club wanted more entertaining basketball as Bevo style was bad so sacked him. Although they failed by replacing him with Gleeson who played the same style but with less of a clue.

Reply #539273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been to an away game at the Gong and the place is so beautiful and would be cheaper compared to capial cities. If I was a player apart from home town would have Gong @ #1 destination. the stadium is in such a sexy location unlike most stadia in this country.

Reply #539274 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Hawks' stadium is in a great spot. You can literally walk out of one side of the venue, around the other side (100m or so) into a brewpub that looks out over the beach. Couple of blocks the other direction is a restaurant strip. Across the road is a burger bar of sorts.

My brother rents a place that is easily walking distance to the venue and the beach. Wollongong has a really good outdoor fitness/lifestyle culture too, beach cafés, etc. For players, it's an hour's drive to Sydney when required.

Reply #539281 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

A Great spot to me for a sports venue is somewhere that is within 5-10 minutes of a transit point (Bus stop/ Rail stop /other). Anymore than that and you get people saying 'Its too far' or 'Ill have to drive' .

When i traveled to the US, i went to about 3-4 Baseball games and a couple of basketball games. I have average a couple of minutes to about a 6 minute walk to their venues.

Pubs/Bars/other are good but families dont need those. They might go to a restaraunt but more than likely mum, dad and their 2-3 kids will get to the game, buy stuff there then go home.

Reply #539287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac how about during the height of summer across from the east side of the stadium there's the giant park between the stadium/brewery and the beach with everyone taking fitness classes/doing sports and being generally active after work at around 5-6pm such an awesome and vibrant atmosphere. never seen that in a capital city

Reply #539290 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

two gf defeats does that to a coach, going with one import both of those years wasn't smart I might add. D martin and co are 30 + do it will be time to rebuild as majority are out of contract. Good on bevo, top bloke always gas. time for a chit chat.

Reply #539300 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

has

Reply #539301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Problem was the venue. Even the Perth Arena wasn't big enough for Bevo's ego.

The issue with Perth has always been the same. They are a super successful franchise and that success has been built on the idea that no individual is more important than the Wildcats Machine.
Bevo was dancing on a knife-edge for some time. After winning the Cup he thought he was untouchable but to ensure that he needed to keep winning and he didn't.

To be fair he is probably exactly what a struggling franchise like Illawarra need. They've got nothing to lose, and can afford to give Bevo his head.

Reply #539900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754