Leighton
Years ago

Australia's Best Dunker?

Received some dunk footage today from South Australian Brandon Brine. Got me thinking who Australia's best dunker is

Who else can do dunk like that? Thinking only a handful of Aussie guys!

Topic #37613 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

TIL Australia's best dunker is just another guy in the USA that can dunk a basketball.

The best Aussie dunker I ever saw in person (before youtube) was Emmanuel D'Cress. Development player for the Wildcats in the early 2000's and played a handful of games with the Canberra Cannons.

Best natural athlete basketball in Australia would ever see - unfortunately he never made it due to a bunch of off-court reasons I believe.

Reply #540350 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

Local Aussie guys who'd have to be in the conversation first:

Mitch Creek
Todd Blanchfield
Lucas Walker

Reply #540353 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

100% agree ASternWarning

There's also another guy in Victoria, Pat Golong, who has won a bunch of dunk comps in recent years. Will try and post some of his footage soon, exceptional athlete

Reply #540356 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

RMQ, Brandon's not in the USA. There's a Q&A on the Boydz N The Hood website with where he grew up playing and where he's playing now. There would be a few South Aussies who've been dunked on by Brandon - hot tip is to stay out of the key when an ally-oop is thrown haha

Reply #540361 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Ben Simmons is pretty good

Reply #540364 | Report this post

smoke  
Years ago

Best aussie dunker of all time has gotta be 5'8 Chand back in the day. Check the footage in the clips at the bottom of this page:
http://melbourneunibasketball.org.au/news/2014/dunking

How did you embed youtube in the hoops forum like that? That's awesome!

Reply #540368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To embed a YouTube video:

- look for Share tab on YouTube
- Embed option
- More
- set Custom Size and width to 415px (height will adjust automatically)
- copy the string of code (all of it) and paste in

Reply #540373 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

I remember watching that footage smoke years ago, had forgotten, so good!!! For 5ft8 pretty hard to argue he's the man

I'm not sure about embedding a video, I actually posted a link to the video Brandon sent me, I think Isaac changed it?

Reply #540376 | Report this post

smoke  
Years ago

Awesome, thanks Isaac. This was one of the cool Chand mix-tapes:

Reply #540379 | Report this post

smoke  
Years ago

I always get gee'd up watching this one too. The alley-360 at 1 minute, 40 seconds was in front of a packed house at an And 1 tour event dunk comp in Melbourne. Classic stuff from Chand.

Reply #540383 | Report this post

Thin Baker  
Years ago

THon Maker.

Reply #540399 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I'm sorry I couldn't resist

Reply #540404 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Brett Rainbow ;)

Reply #540408 | Report this post

Legalities  
Years ago

Best dunk ever is at 10 second mark of the is video:

Reply #540410 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Was that Cecil Exum being dunked on by Gazey?

Reply #540422 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Oh No Melbourne Boy, don't want a lawsuit hahahha
I have to Brett Rainbow

Reply #540425 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Ng brothers in Darren & Marcus are mad street dunkers.

Reply #540452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see perhaps one, maybe two names in all of these posts that can even hold a candle to Brandon.

Reply #540620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen Brandon dunk in real life, half the stuff he can do isnt even online. OP's video is just a little snippit of a dunk sesh after a workout.

Reply #540621 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

dunking in a keyway that is open and you get 2 ( or 4) steps to gather yourself and then take-off is one thing, but to dunk through a crowded keyway where defensive players are actually trying to hinder you, and where you may have had only a one step "run-up" is another.

Tim Morresey could dunk spectacularly in the open court, and probably got higher than Mark Dalton or Chris Blakemore, but just like Kendal Pinder and James Crawford, Mark and Chris could power there way through hands that were trying to drag them down - thats a dunk.

Being smaller or skinnier gives points to the awesomeness factor, but the sort of power that means you can do it in traffic is respected more IMHO

Reply #540635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMPRESSIVE. you can drop names... how about discussing what the thread is actually about?

Reply #540636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in game dunks and trick dunks are 2 very different things.. neither of which are the topic of conversation.

Reply #540637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire

Reply #540974 | Report this post

StreetX  
Years ago

Keanu Pinder.

Reply #541121 | Report this post

Yeah, stick to the topic please, which is about Brandon posting anonymously about his dunking exploits.

Reply #541126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Wearne

Reply #542851 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Yeah, there's a bunch of players that can dunk in an empty lane. The guys who dunk on other people's heads should be the guys we're talking about.

Sam MacKinnon would have to be the best Australian in-game dunker I have seen in recent times.

Reply #542885 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754