Hangin Round
Years ago

Rules Query

As a matter of interest, could somebody clear up 2 points for me please.
When a player is subbed,fouled, or sent off, do they have to go straight to their bench, or can they walk off on the far side of the court and walk around to the bench? It could prove a distraction to either side if a 'player' is spotted near the ring at the offence end.

When is the ball out of court?
It seems sense that it is when it crosses the line, or is it when the ball lands outside the lines? Sometimes you see a player make a huge effort to flick the ball back into the court and the call varies between 'in' or 'out'.

Also, is there any way of getting spellcheck on emails? You always notice mistakes once you have pressed 'send'

Topic #3762 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

the last one no we all suffer from that

ball is out of bounds when it touches something out of bounds, ie the floor, another player, a seat, the wall so a player can retrieve the ball but must do so legally ie not be outside the court area when they touch the ball

players should leave the playing arena in the same area that the team benches are that is so that the referees are aware of who has left the court and that someone doesn't re enter after leaving.

Reply #43921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I know play should not commence until the player is at their bench. This would be so that the player can not 'accidentally' go back into the game. Therefore it's easier to go directly to the bench rather than walk around. I'm not positive on the ruling of this but I'm sure matty ryan with his rule book on hand will be happy to point the correct ruling out :P

As for the out of court. Too many times have I seen people get this rule wrong. It's different to football people, understand that. The ball is not out of court until it touches an object or person that is out of the area of play. The only way to save a ball that is in the air heading out of court is to jump from IN COURT to save it. As soon as the player touches ANY object out of court (this includes people, seats, the floor or the line) the ball is out of court. So as long as the player has jumped from well within the court and taps it back before they touch outside the court the ball is still in play.

As for spellcheck in emails, if you're that worried copy and paste it into Microsoft Word and run a spellcheck there first.

Reply #43922 | Report this post

Chimbu  
Years ago

"As for spellcheck in post"

Get a copy of ieSpell here:
http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Free for personal use....

Reply #43938 | Report this post

Neal Bridgeman  
Years ago

As for the out of bounds, the previous posts are right, ball touches something out of court, the roof, or the back of or supporting structure for the backboard (NOT the sides, top, or bottom of the board. That is still "in-bounds". Problem here is that a lot of supporting framework is close to the sides of the board, making it hard to tell unless you are looking straight at it).
As for subs, a player who is subbed out CAN leave the court anywhere. As has been pointed out, this can cause problems, and referees prefer that the players do go straight across the court to his/her bench. This makes it much simpler for them, as well as the teams if the game has restarted, to know who is on or off court.
A referee asking a player to go straight to the bench rather than walking around the lines, I consider to be a reasonable request. Otherwise, if there is a little bit of tension in the game, I do not start the game until the player concerned has at least gone past the opposition's bench, making sure that nothing happens.

Reply #44024 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Thanks all. You have sorted these queries out for me.

Reply #44051 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754