Ingles

Point guard???
Broekhoff
Bairstow
Motum
Newley

Andersen
Goulding

(Probably cut Goulding IF Simmons is available, which I doubt)

Topic #37663 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

Solid squad

Reply #541782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure who to put in as back up point guard.

Gibbo I guess :-(

Reply #541783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Threeway race for back up guard Martin, Gibson or Greenwood

Reply #541790 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Exum could be over the ACL before the olympics and might be in the team, but there are a couple of options at back up point for Australia.

Considering we have a few play makers already, and 3 of the starting 5 could do a spell at the point, there isn't a lot of urgency at the position so you could slot Gibson in there and be stable. You could also look at Greenwood if he manages to have a stand out year in the NBL.

I agree with your team with the possible exception of Goulding. I don't think Goulding is up to this level yet. I would be more inclined to go for someone like Blanchfield who has a bit more toughness, athleticism and is a better defender. I think Lemanis made a mistake omitting Blanchfield in the Oceania squad.

Also, I would start Motum over Baynes. Motum is not a better player, but he is more mobile and will be able to stretch the floor, and chase stretch fours. I guess it will depend also who we are playing against as well.

Reply #541791 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah would expect Bairstow or Motum to start at PF (and pretty much split time with each other) and Baynes as the backup for Bogut. The 5th big (nominally Andersen) would then hopefully be able to back up both positions in case of injury or foul troubles.

With the guards and wings, Mills, Delly, Brokhoff and Ingles are clearly in if available. Newley and Goulding have those two other spots for the moment and I think they're theirs to lose, but you never know what might happen in the next 12 months.

If Exum can't get back that spot is REALLY up for grabs.

Reply #541796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills
delly
Ingles
Motum
Bogut

martin
broekhoff
Simmons
bairstow
Baynes

Newley
Anderson

Reply #541872 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If I were picking it:

Definites: Mills, Bogut, Baynes, Ingles, Broekhoff

Most likelys: Delly, Andersen, Motum, Newley

Contenders: Gibson, Martin, Goulding, Blanchfield, Simmons, Bairstow, Jawai plus any mobile defensive PF who puts his hand up.

Reply #541882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Things would have to go pretty badly for Outback Jesus to not make the team.

Reply #541887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood could make it for Martin or Gibbo.
Blanchfield could beat out newley based on recent form.
Simmons should be a lock.

Reply #541890 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Tired of seeing players who are all about the offence and not the defence.. Need defence to wins at this level. Not happy at all about what has been going not he last few years...Time to act quick on the coaching front.

Reply #541893 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you'd enjoy my FIBA column this week then anon.

Reply #541894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia isn't going to win at this level no matter what. Even with a team of players with mills offence and dellys defence we'd still have no chance. The fact mills is our best offensive player and Delly is our best defender isn't a great sign for Australian basketball.

Same as everyone talking about all about how much NBA experience we have, they're all still bench warmers who play minimally except for bogut. Stop blaming coaching for being the reason benchwarmers and NBL players can't win at high levels

Reply #541910 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Bogut
Motum
Ingles
Broekhoff
Mills

Baynes
Simmons
Newley
Goulding
Delly

Bairstow or Andersen
Gibson or martin or greenwood

Reply #541915 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"Australia isn't going to win at this level no matter what. Even with a team of players with mills offence and dellys defence we'd still have no chance. The fact mills is our best offensive player and Delly is our best defender isn't a great sign for Australian basketball.

Same as everyone talking about all about how much NBA experience we have, they're all still bench warmers who play minimally except for bogut. Stop blaming coaching for being the reason benchwarmers and NBL players can't win at high levels"

I am not sure what kind of talent you think Serbia had when it got Silver at the world cup. Also, what talent did Russia have when they got Bronze at the 2012 olympics? Most of the better national teams are made up of Euro league players and NBA role players.Whose the superstar on the Brazilian team? Are Luis Scola and Manu Ginobli really much more than role players (good as they may be)? The only national team apart from USA who has genuine star talent is Spain.

Greece beat team USA a few years back without a single NBA player. I think you have an out of touch view of the kind of talent most national teams have. Most teams are made up largely of players who play in their own domestic leagues. The difference between a good one and a bad one is usually chemistry and how long they have been together.

As Paul has mentioned, NBA experience means next to nothing in International basketball. There are even some NBA stars whose game doesn't translate to the international style.

Reply #541919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gwb thinks manu is just a role player. Not one of the best 6th men ever. Always knew he was an idiot but finally has confirmed it

Reply #541922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think a team that has NBL players in it is going to medal you're in for a bad time. Would have to be one of the worst national leagues out there. But again it's the coaches fault he can't get win games with Delly as a starter or Adam Gibson in the team at all

Reply #541924 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

6th men aren't role players? Well there's some news. And I never said a team full of nbl players would medal,but we barely even have two. Actually look at the line ups of other teams, ours is not really off the pace on paper

Reply #541955 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Just by the fact that you called NBL 'one of the worst leagues out there' you have proven how little you know about International basketball.

Paul could probably fill you in, but here are a list of leagues lower than the NBL

NZNBL
Every league in asia
Most leagues in Europe that aren't either Eurocup or Euro league
The south american leagues

Leagues that are known to be better than the NBL:

NBA
Euroleague
Euro cup
Spain A league
Italys top league

And maybe a couple of the top European domestic leagues

So the NBL is easily in the top 10. But yeah, has to be one of the worst leagues in the world, right?

Ask Paul, he works for Fiba and will be able to further show you how misguided you are.

Reply #541956 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re a team medaling with NBL players in it, it's kind of hard to argue because one never has! However, to think a player needs to be in the Euroleague or NBA to be a good international player is showing ignorance of how level the playing talent is around the globe.

As an example, the second leading scorer at the 2010 WC and the leading scorer at the 2012 Olympics both played in the NBL the season before, and while both very good players here, neither was above the level of the other very good player in the league.

Reply #541965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half the nba players wont be available or their nba team wont let them play.. typical 6 or 7 finish for the boomers

Reply #542600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta play Ben Simmons.

Reply #542651 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

The key is to keep Ingles playing at his current level when Simmons and Broekoff come into their own. Add Mills to the mix and you hopefully have 4 Elite scorers. Unfortunately this won't happen in 2016 as Simmons won't be ready to take over at international level.

Reply #542905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills/broekhoff/ingles/motum/Bogut

Martin/dellavedova/simmons/Anderson/baynes

Newley/bairstow

Reply #542907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754