Isaac
Years ago

Patty Mills added to Boomers team for NZ games

Basketball Australia is excited to announce that NBA Championship-winner Patrick Mills has been added to the Australian Boomers' team to take on New Zealand in the 2015 FIBA Oceania Championships.

Mills comes into the line-up following a left ACL tear to Dante Exum in last Wednesday’s game against Slovenia, reducing the Boomers to 11 players.

Talking from the United States, Mills said that he was excited by the opportunity to play for automatic qualification for Rio 2016.

"I’m looking forward to joining my Boomers teammates for this very important qualification series against New Zealand," he said.

“Playing for my country has always been an honour for me.

“Obviously my shoulder injury last year meant that I had to continue intensive rehab and quality training over the past few months. I've done that and will be ready for the Oceania Championships.

“My focus now is helping my Boomers teammates qualify for Rio 2016.”

The unfortunate timing of Exum’s injury in what was the last match of the Boomers’ European Tour meant that any replacement player will not have been present for the four Internationals against Lithuania and Slovenia. These extenuating circumstances have resulted in Mills’ late call-up to the Boomers team.

Boomers’ head coach Andrej Lemanis considered the options which included going with a reduced team of 11 or, bringing in a player at this late stage just days out from the series against New Zealand’s Tall Blacks.

Speaking at Friday’s press conference, Lemanis explained:

“The caveat is always what’s in the best interest of the team. This group has spent time together building a synergy and adding a piece to that obviously needs to add value so we need to work through that.”

Having spoken with Mills over the weekend, Lemanis added:

“Although Dante’s injury is still fresh in our mind, we need to adapt quickly and move on as our focus now is on beating New Zealand.

“Patty is the best-placed player to come into the team quickly,” Lemanis continued. “He’s an elite player, an NBA Champion and seasoned at International play and importantly, knows the Boomers’ system and style of play.

“If we were going to add a player to replace Dante, we needed someone who can help us beat New Zealand and that is Patty Mills.”

Just 500 tickets remain for Saturday’s double-header, dubbed the #homecoming, at Melbourne’s Rod Laver Arena where the Jayco Australian Opals and the Australian Boomers play New Zealand. If sold out, the all-important games will result in one of the largest crowds for a basketball match in Australia in over 15 years. The event will be broadcast LIVE and FREE on the Nine Network’s Gem Channel.

Patty Mills will join Boomers’ coach Andrej Lemanis following training tomorrow to speak with the press.
Details as follows:

Venue: Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre
Time: 1130

The Boomers will join the Jayco Opals on Tuesday August 11 from 4pm at Melbourne’s Southbank, Queensbridge Square, in a not-to-be-missed fan event. Several thousand Boomers’ and Opals’ supporters are expected to be out in force to welcome the teams to Melbourne ahead of Saturday’s game at Rod Laver Arena.

Topic #37683 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

I cannot convey in words that Isaac would find acceptable what Mills is going to do to NZ's guards not named Webster.
I don't even think the per quarter turn over rate is going to be countable by 2 hands.

I hope I'm wrong but last time we played Mills he abused Jarred Kenney like a Catholic Priest would an Alter Boy so this news isn't that exciting for a NZ fan.

Hopefully the boys can play out of their skin and nail a win.

Reply #542367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have a field day against the Kiwi guards.

Sanity prevails.

Reply #542370 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good news for the Boomers! Patty has been involved with the team for awhile, so it shouldn't take him too long to mesh with his team mates. Even if he doesn't, I'm liking a Mills/ Bogut pick and roll game!

Reply #542381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB will be pleased

Reply #542389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will come down to aggregate.

Reply #542391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB thinks something negative about Lemanis.

Reply #542395 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I can rest easy with the knowledge that the coaching staff are not clinically braindead on this one.

Reply #542398 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Very pleased with this news :)

Reply #542411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We needed scoring and now we have it. With starting 5 that includes Mills, Broekhoff and Motum, we should be able to get something going ... Having said that I'm sure NZ will scrap and put up a fight.

Think also Bogut will be dominate in absence of true NZ big man

NZ going small ball is less troubling knowing Mills coming in

Reply #542420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with you gwb...
Lamanis sucks. can't wait till his gone!

Reply #542427 | Report this post

lose  
Years ago

We should have asked Kyrie to play for us. But that shouldn't matter. Patty Mills is a great player too.

Reply #542428 | Report this post

Dellynquint  
Years ago

That better be trolling

Reply #542429 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Now the big question is......

Will the coach risk ripping the heart the wonderful team SYNEGY that this team has buy daring to start Patty.

Hmmmm.....

Reply #542430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting 5's?

Patty
Delly
Broekhoff
Motum
Bogut

V

Tait
Webster
Abercrombie
Vukona
Fotu

Reply #542434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the sarcasm regarding synergy... we havent got any as demonstrated by euro tour. Give the ball to Patty and everyone else get the f#ck out of the way

Reply #542435 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I somehow think Patty will be coming off the bench.

Reply #542437 | Report this post

Dellynquint  
Years ago

I somehow think you're going to be proven wrong again

Reply #542441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purely because he hasn't been part of warm up games i would bring him off the bench too at least for the first game

Reply #542444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZL don't boast that kind of firepower off there bench

Reply #542445 | Report this post

GeeDubBee  
Years ago

Best player in the game by a mile won't come off the bench

Reply #542449 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not talking about what I want to happen, I just know Lemanis will do. Probably play him 5 minutes per game or something.

Reply #542454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he does that and we lose thats his job. I think Mills starts, he's the best guard we got and it wouldnt cause team chemistry issues as they all know this. Small chance he comes off bench but plays big mins in first game unless we are dominating ... Lemanis can't be that dumb and/ or full of his own self importance

Reply #542460 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I guess time will tell. But I would definitely start Mills, personally. You would have to be crazy not to.

Delly
Mills
Broekhoff
Motum
Bogut

This is a team that can run the floor, defend, and score in bunches. NZ would have to be on their game to hold them down. While I think the game will be surprisingly competitive, the above line up could blow them out very quickly if they are all on their game.

Reply #542462 | Report this post

GeeDubBee  
Years ago

Mills at PG and that line up is perfect. Delly needs to focus on what he does well which is defense and shooting open 3s. Shouldn't be tasked with creating now mills is back

Reply #542465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But delly in the sg position...
Mills taking the ball over half way.

Reply #542466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it being televised?

Reply #542469 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Live on GEM Anon Im not sure about game 2

Reply #542479 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

I agree that Lemanis will bring Millsy off the bench to start Game 1, just because he appears to be that sort of Coach but I don't think he's stupid enough to persist with that.

I'm with GWB though, in thinking that Lemanis is not the answer to the Boomers question.

When you have a group of guys that can't create, you need a tight structure at both ends, and we're not seeing that, despite the talent in the squad.

Mills
Broekhoff
Ingles
Motum
Bogut

Dellavedova first sub

Reply #542485 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can see Lemanis bringing Mills off the bench too, at least in the first game. He'll get a better crowd reaction that way too.

Reply #542489 | Report this post

lose  
Years ago

We should get Delly to convince Lebron to play for Australia. After all, Lebron loves Delly! They're the ultimate bros. Delly will finally be useful if he can make this happen.

Reply #542493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All depends on how the first qtr plays out ... Lemanis will hope that we can dominate without Mills straight up ... I bet he gets boring and starts Goulding

Reply #542494 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I would imagine Goulding and Delly will start in the back court. Given Mills will have 4 days to train with the group and hasn't played in a while, throwing him in as a starter wouldn't be the smart move. I'm NOT saying he shouldn't get some good minutes, but he's shown he plays most of his basketball off the bench and I think thats how it should start.

Reply #542515 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nothing boring about Goulding, quite the opposite! I've long thought Mills could be a huge weapon off the bench for the Boomers, as he was in 2008, injecting pressure on defence and pace on offence just as the oppo are settling into a rhythm.

Reply #542517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding didn't have much on the euro tour, sorry. Everyone kept saying he can get hot, get ready, but it never happened. He looked slow getting himself to the right spots on offence and was ordinary on D, giving away fouls to bigger and quicker guards he couldn't stay in front of ... I'm not saying his junk, just not exciting of late, hope he turns it around against nz

Reply #542534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonz. Ingles is not playing

Reply #542535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding v Webster?

Great match up... Lol
Goulding won't be able to contain him.

Reply #542538 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Or you could play Delly on Webster and Goulding guard whichever other guard NZ is using?

Reply #542543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame we don't get to see Exum on Webster. Exum would have troubled him with length. Agree goulding will struggle. Ps Webster is good, but not that good

Reply #542549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's either Martin and delly, Mills and Martin or mills and delly.
Delly or Martin to play on Webster.

Fotu on Bogut.
vukona on motum.
Abercrombie on broekhoff.

Reply #542552 | Report this post

Martin out. Injured his leg.

Reply #542612 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

You're kidding? How did you find that out?

Reply #542616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that mean blanchfield has a chance?

Mills/Gibson
Delly/Goulding
Broekhoff/newley/blanchfield
Motum/bairstow
Bogut/amderson/jawai

Reply #542619 | Report this post

I'm his doctor.

Reply #542621 | Report this post

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/damian-martin-set-to-miss-australian-boomers-olympic-qualifying-series-with-injury/story-fnhq5y0s-1227478934431

Hopefully doesn't translate to missing much of the NBL season.

Reply #542622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious? Anything major?
What are his Nbl chances?

Reply #542623 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I doubt they will bring another player in now. I think they will be playing with 11. Blanchfield should have made the original team, but he is a completely different type of player to Damo.

Reply #542628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Gibson becomes the backup pg...
That makes a spot for a sg/sf... And blanch is descent wingman.

Reply #542631 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Unfortunate to hear about Marto. Really lucky we have Patty now.

Just saw the Boomers (Patty included) and Opals at the team hotel getting ready to head to their appearance in the city. Didn't see Damian.

Reply #542635 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754