Josh
Years ago

Ibekwe and Holt Confirmed as imports for United

http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/featured-news/melbourne-signs-holt-and-ibekwe-to-import-spots/

PG - Stephen Holt/Nate Tomlinson
SG - Chris Goulding/David Barlow/igor hadziomerovic?
SF - Todd Blanchfield/David Barlow
PF - Daniel Kickert/Majok Majok
C - Ekene Ibekwe/Chris Patton

Topic #37684 | Report this topic

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Holt won't last IMO unless the Asian import rule is coming and then he would classified as one of those.

Reply #542375 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Was Ibekwe really that good last season?

Reply #542379 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

yes ibekwe was that good last season

Reply #542383 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He was amazing when he wasn't getting into foul trouble.

Reply #542388 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ibekwe is a solid rim protector- something United desperately missed last season.

I haven't seen much of Majok Majok, so I'm interested in this front court mix. Is there enough mobility and perimeter D?

So many of the NBL's 4's are inside outside players- Think of ex United guys Walker and Wortho. Redhage, Forman, Loughton. Do Kickert and Majok have the footwork and perimeter defensive ability to chase these guys? I hope so....

Reply #542392 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

breakers missing out on ibekwe and penney, interesting!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Reply #542403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Barlow is now more a 3/4 now then pre Europe he played the 1/2/3.

He is 6"8 and very strong (with what looks like 5-8% body fat), although his mobility isn't what it was. He could potentially hold up on the defensive end at the 4 and have an easier time on offense with a slower player guarding him.

He could perhaps start at the 4 and Ibekwe could come off the bench again to avoid those early fouls like he did in NZ.

Reply #542410 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

He was pretty foul prone but very effective, finished well at the rim and got up and down the floor pretty well.
NZ could cope with his foul issues by being able to play Pledger for small spells and then playing small ball with Vukona & Wesley.

NZ passed on Ibekwe & Carter as they wanted big pay rises over what they had previously been paid and with Abercrombie, Vukona & Webster all renewing contracts there simply wasn't enough peso's to go round.

Ibekwe was coming off a reasonable injury lay off when he signed for NZ and improved as the season went on. There is a big chance we haven't seen his best basketball.
Cedric Jackson & Rhys Carter's passing ability definitely helped Ibekwe's catch & dunk game but his jump shot wasn't too shabby either and in the low post his long reach and scoop shot/finger roll with either hand proved difficult to defend.

Reply #542419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

United are definitely the mystery team this season with a new coach and some unknowns in the roster.

Reply #542432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ibekwe was the classic case of a guy I tried to under value as opposition fan, but by the time all was said and done, the guy was legit and wish he was an import for my team. Breakers certainly do have great recruiters, Adelaide not so much...

Reply #542452 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As Mystro said, Ibekwe was coming off injury before Breakers got him and he said so many overseas teams were passing on him because of the injury. So he signed with NZ for relatively cheap.

Of course, with his performance the past season they simply couldn't retain him because his worth went up.

Presume they passed on Penney because they a) didnt have enough points to get him or money (or both) or b) they didn't see how he would fit in with Webster, Ced, Abercrombie, Te Rangi etc.

I think that would actually be a fair enough reason - given the way Webster is tracking did they really want to bring in Penney to take away a lot of his minutes.

Reply #542456 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bit of a lose lose situation.

Because even if he didn't play very high minutes then it becomes an issue of 'why are we throwing our points and money at a guy who were not fully using'. And if you play him a lot..well your under utilising CWebb.

Was a tough decision for the Breakers given who they have and the stage of his career.

Reply #542459 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they simply chose to spend their money on Jackson and their four main Kiwis who can be their core for a number of years to come.

Reply #542461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it even the Breakers call to make or not... maybe Penney wanted a new challenge and too add to he personal legacy.

Reply #542463 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

From what I am hearing yes he was keen. But at the same time was equally happy to play elsewhere in the NBL (because he understands the Breakers situation and has been happy to pass the torch per se).

He also knew their financial position so was resigned to the fact that he would most likely get a gig in OZ.

Reply #542468 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ were trying to snag him when their season turned to shit without Jackson but he was completing his studies and now that he's finished the timing isn't right with Websters rapid improvement and as Macdub said, the rest of the teams make up.

Reply #542502 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm eagerly anticipating watching this United team.

Goulding, Blanchfield and Barlow might turn out to be the best wing combination in the NBL. Because they're almost veterans of the NBL it's easy to forget that Blanchfield is only 24, while Goulding is about to turn 27, so their best basketball might even be ahead of them.

Barlow meanwhile was a disappointment last season to most people, but as a reserve I think he'll be one of the best in the NBL. Is still a great spot up shooter and a strong defender. Goulding, Blanchfield and Kickert are all quality scorers and Barlow is the perfect fit alongside them because you can't afford to leave him open. He'll stretch the defense out, giving those other guys the room to go to work.

Reply #542584 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Barlow is a pretty nice 6th man to have.

Goulding & Blanchfield is interesting, Goulding needs the ball in his hands and likes to put up shots, even tough ones. Blanchfield is versatile but is used to getting to touch the ball a lot on offence coming from Townsville.

Can they co-exist together?

Luckily I don't think Blanchfield is overly egotistical and may just pick his poison like Abercrombie does for NZ and take the scraps when required when on court with say Corey Webster but when needed he can put points on the board from range or attack the basket drawing fouls.

Reply #542693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754