thedoctor
Years ago

Sportsworld - Basketball Fight

I saw the end of a clip on Sunday morning on Sportworld.

It showed a fight between the Puerto Rican and Chinese basketball teams that got really out of hand.

It started with a few pushes and shoves, then went into a king hit by a tatooed guard on a Chinese C/PF. People were kicking and punching and the Puerto Ricans had to put chairs over their heads and walk out because the crowd was throwing stuff at them.

Given the crowd reaction, I'm guessing it was the tournament in China, but with other juniour tournies on atm it may have been somewhere else. Can anyone confirm details or consequences?

It was on par with the Artest thing. The little guy who threw the first punch will be suspended for a while.

Topic #3784 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #44094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor, here's what I posted in the Boomers vs Lithuania thread:

I talked to Oscar about the fight last night. He said that they (Boomers) were warming up nearby when a PR player started elbowing China's "next Yao" (Oscar said he was "awesome" and definitely NBA bound -- he's only 18 and 7'). Anyway, punches were thrown and connected, benches cleared and then 50 water bottles from the crowd came flying in. The PR group backed off, one using a chair to fend off blows.

The brawl moved to where the Boomers were stretching and at one point, the Boomers were all that was separating it. Lots of aggressive talk and swearing and so on from China and Rico. Then it was back on for young and old, but this time it was more than just fists. Oscar said that his water bottle got taken and used as a projectile. Also, that one of the PR players borrowed Luke Martin's crutch to take in as a weapon. Another player tried to take in a news camera tripod as a weapon, but the cameraman wouldn't let go of it. He said that those involved were grabbing anything that could be used as a weapon.

I asked him about the court when they played Angola and he said that Boomers were sliding/falling over also, but luckily no injuries.

Reply #44095 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Cheers for that. Did anyone else see the footage? Very ugly. Matty White on Sportworld was having a chuckle about the whole thing, but it was full on.

The little PR dude lost it. The fight was over, then he just ran up and king hit the guy.

Reply #44101 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754