AngusH
Years ago

Dave Barlow on the state of basketball in Europe

Really good article on downtownball.net on the state of basketball in Europe... a bit of an eye-opener for me, but did a lot to explain why we're starting to see guys come home.

http://downtownball.net/2015/09/europe-epidemic/

Topic #37918 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he neglects to mention that many guys would just want to do this to test themselves or see what it was like for themselves. Life is fine in Australia, but that doesn't mean people don't travel all over the place for different experiences. Some would treat it as a milestone.

There are also many in the NBL who have foregone payments with NBL clubs as he did in Europe. There are a number of examples from this off-season even.

But other than that, he makes useful points to younger players that an NBL career for a mid-to-good player is a solid option.

Reply #548742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea. Getting paid even 6 figures to go play over in Europe would be a great life experience. Remember that when they quote salaries in Europe it is tax free amounts.

Reply #548744 | Report this post

This is the same guy who bagged the NBL less than two years ago, saying he would never return due to the points cap creating insecurity for him?

Reply #548754 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This was before he ended up being crap over in Europe, Supernintendo Chalmers, and realised that he'd be lucky to fool an NBL team into giving him decent dollars...

Reply #548758 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Thank you for that giggle wookie

Reply #548759 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yes, and now it's someone talking from experience having played in both, so what's your point?

Also raving about the 6 figure salaries ignores the big question mark around actually being paid that amount. I know the NBL has had it's share of moments where player's did not get paid, but compare that with the amount of horror stories you hear from imports in the various European leagues.

I think young players should go play in Europe if that's their dream, all Barlow is doing in this article is trying to make it clear that it's not exactly all a lot of them expect it to be.

I didn't expect to see Goulding back this year TBH, and I would love to see his thoughts on the experience he had last year.

Reply #548788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is case by case. Just ask Ingles,Penney, Nielsen, Broekhoff, Newley etc. Barlow, a player with limited skill and BBall IQ polished by Goorjian at a late stage, chasing fortune in Europe was not the right choice from the beginning. And yes, he didn't say good things about NBL when leaving.

Reply #548805 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, it's case by case, and no, it wasn't a bad choice by Barlow, he had a good career in Europe, especially considering he was one of the few to stick over there without a Euro passport.

I don't think he presents it perfectly, but what I think he's saying is that the big clubs and leagues are good, the NBL is a better career path than many smaller clubs and leagues.

I think it's still worth every decent baller at least trying, even if only for a year or two, or the end of the season from March-May.

Reply #548807 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Barlow should just stick to turning the ball over against Greece

Reply #548812 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Too soon, FYI, that still hurts.

Reply #548814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

argh his whining is nearly as bad as his hair

Reply #548839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754