Phobos64
Years ago

Foxtel Commentators

Anyone heard any rumours about who will call games this season? I'd assume Fox would use their own AFL and NRL guys to call the games with ex-NBL players to do the special comments. But there's been nothing said, which is interesting with just over a week to go before the opening game.

Topic #38062 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

There would be nothing worse than an AFL commentator doing basketball with no knowledge of basketball.

Reply #551735 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Well no NBL on TV would be worse I guess...

Reply #551736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should bring back Steve Carfino and Andrew Gaze. I would imagine Andy Raymond will have a crack. I mean he commentates everything.

I also have a slight suspicion Shane Heal will have a crack. Have seen him on Fox Sports News and other Fox shows such as The Back Page from time to time so it could be interesting to watch that develop.

I'm still concerned by the fact that is isn't on the TV Guide.

Reply #551738 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Shane Heal is coaching the WNBL SE QLD team

Reply #551739 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Carfino's only welcomed back if he's doing colour and not play-by-play.

I'd also prefer commentary more like the NBA - Excessive "Footy" or "Horse Racing" play-by-play isn't good for basketball.

Reply #551740 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think Carfino is CEO or something.

I'd put even money on Dwayne Russell returning, perhaps John Casey. I'd like to see Huddo have a go, still a quality caller.

Reply #551742 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

After listening to the Blitz, I hope they keep Liam Santamaria as far away as possible from any notion of being a commentator. How many times does a guy have to say lame things? "That's money for Jam" and "Don't hurt them like that, Timmy Coenrad". Neither of those phrases sound cool or will take off. He is blissfully unaware of his own lameness.

Reply #551748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he was a quite DYNAMIC commentator

Reply #551755 | Report this post

smoke  
Years ago

I also really enjoyed Liam's commentary. Beats the hell out of Carfino and crew and I found his phrasing both refreshing and insightful. Best we've seen for Australia IMHO and I'm really hoping foxtel tie him up for the regular season.

According to the NBL operation manager on twitter, the stream numbers have "blown expectations well and truly out of the water" which I'm guessing wouldn't have been possible if the audience wasn't keen on the call. Here's hoping the NBL can keep up the great job!

https://twitter.com/guyneville/status/648471043384803329
https://twitter.com/guyneville/status/648471788955893761

Reply #551768 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

My understanding is that the online Foxtel guide only shows up to seven days in advance and is time sensitive (e.g. time is 8.00pm on 1st October then you can only see shows up to 8.00pm on 8th October). That is why, if you have IQ, you can only book to record shows up to seven days in advance including series link..

Reply #551771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Aaron 12 - Yes, however the online Foxtel TV Guide goes to 2 weeks in advance... Hopefully as you say it will rectify when the Electronic programming guide on the TV becomes available tomorrow night.

Reply #551775 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Roy and HG would be great once per round.

Reply #551779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First game now listed on Fox Sports News channel.

Reply #551782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graeme and the Colonel!!!

Reply #551789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can use the online TV guide to record to your iQ even two weeks in advance. Also search function on the physical iQ searches up to two weeks in advance and you can record that way. so effectively two weeks even on EPG

Reply #551790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino has moved back to the states hasn't he? Tommy Greer was impressive during the FIBA games, I wouldn't mind seeing him given a shot.

Reply #551795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tommy Greer works in Operations for United. Would likely be a conflict of interest and I think he'd have things to do game day.

Reply #551799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every game for the opening round is on Fox Sports News.

Reply #551801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure that is what conflict of interest means...

Reply #551802 | Report this post

Butwhatdoiknow  
Years ago

Agree with Mark-e-Mark, Liam was hard to listen to, and Matt's "GART IT", although used less than previously, is still horrendous.

Reply #551818 | Report this post

Ariel80  
Years ago

I actually thought the blitz commentary was good and would be cool with that on the fox coverage. Mcquade kept a lid on his kings bias and santamaria kept thing interesting in a couple of boring blowout games.

Reply #551819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure where this perception of carfino being good at colour or expert commentary comes from. For me he is crap at both. Give us some new blood

Reply #551820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I vote for John Casey and dwayne Russell as play by play. Gaze a shoe in for expert comments given he already works for fox

Reply #551821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Butwhatdoiknow - funny, I never heard Matt say that even once. And I watched every game. He did a great job. As did Liam. They'd make a solid team.

Reply #551826 | Report this post

scott  
Years ago

id say dwayne russell is a definite, going by what he has said and basically has confirmed he will be calling nbl on his twitter.

Reply #551835 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell did commentary for Fox Sports for the Australian Boomers vs European nations games a few months ago, so yeah, it seems pretty likely.

Reply #551837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

derek rucker and cj bruton

Reply #551856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Around the traps, Shane Heal is the big tip to be the primary expert commentator - someone they'll fly to different cities. As mentioned previously in this thread, he's been involved with Fox of late and seems to have wormed his way into the role, despite the fact he's already got a coaching gig.

Someone mentioned Rucker and that would make sense for the Queensland games. Melbourne seems to be wide open although Heal may do some of those games. Perth is the big unknown - Mike Ellis maybe since he's done it before?

Reply #551857 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Surely Gaze would be a guarantee, he already works for Fox Footy

Reply #551860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal has a job coaching SEQ in the WNBL. I'd imagine there'd be a lot of clashes with his training/games. Not sure how on point that hot tip is.

Reply #551862 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I thought Santamaria and Quade did a good job of the pre-season tournament. They actually seem to know and care about what is going on in the league and showed a bit of passion at times too. Certainly a breath of fresh air after Carfino all these years. I'd be happy to hear more of them for the season proper.

Reply #551886 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think McQuade does a good job. With a bit of training just to polish around the edges he could be a very good TV commentator for the NBL with his enthusiasm and knowledge.

Reply #551888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully not Heal but wouldn't surprise if he is given his love for an easy dollar

Reply #551924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MM won't be doing it, however Brad Rosen is in.

Reply #552023 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Would like to see Crawford, Harvey and Holmes all contributing in some way. Players who have retired over past 12-18 months have some of the longest number of played games in our sport. Absolutely no fond farewells with no NBL Annual Awards Night. Expect that will change drastically...should be a MAJOR nite for basketball. Bit tired of Heal but expect he will still be used. Access to some top Fox people will be a welcome change.

Reply #552025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it being kept so secret who the commentators will be? Heal the only one confirmed which is cringeworthy as his commentary sucks plus he coaches a WNBL team talk about overcommiting yourself.

Reply #552485 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Heal will probably do Wednesdays or something

Reply #552489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since he coaches SE Qld there isn't even a NBL city near him. gotta get dem dollars after bankruptcy

Reply #552492 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Heal and Rosen in, Gaze out.

Presumably they'll announce Joyce shortly, and that Carfino will do all the play-by-play, and then charge extra for the ability to mute the games.

Reply #552493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that Gaze is out. Not that I wanted him in anyway but he seems to be content to be a footy bogan now being "the token other sport guy" on fox footy.

Reply #552496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Joyce's commentary. It was like he wasn't ever a coach or even involved in basketball. Boggles the mind.

Reply #552497 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How did Joyce's commentary give you the impression he wasn't ever a coach? I don't remember him going five minutes without bringing up the time he coached a Wollongong team with no good players to a championship.

Reply #552499 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah it seems odd that Gaze is out

Reply #552500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz - haha very nice

Reply #552502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Shane Heal's hair. I think it looks good on a middle aged man.

Reply #552505 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Heal and Rosen in, Gaze out."

Please tell me that Brad Rosen is not part of the commentary team!!! I find him irritating.

Reply #552512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Casey please

Reply #552527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russel just said on the radio that he is doing the 36ers game

Reply #552528 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

Doesn't matter who will commentate. Everyone will hate at least on of the commentators. Be thankful it's on!!!

Reply #552529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne argh he was one of the comms during the infamous final Fox year.

Also Dwayne lol who names their child that, as if Wayne wasn't bad enough (yeah yeah I know D Wade has the same name)

Reply #552530 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I heard Homicide Williams is in?

Reply #552534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark I would say so as he was at the league launch last night at Crown.

Reply #552535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Homicide being living in Australia since he stopped playing NBL? Or has he flown over specifically to do this commentary gig? Didn't realise NBL commentary would pay good coin.

Reply #552572 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

What's the story behind Gaze possibly not being involved? I would have had him as an automatic pick, considering every game is televised and they're bringing in guys like Rosen and Heal...

Though I really hope Carfino isn't around.

Reply #552576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Voss calling the Kings first game. Great. a rugby league guy with little to no knowledge of basketball as the play by play caller. As much as I love this Foxtel deal, I'll be watching games on mute this season if this is the kind of play by play commentary we can expect. Terrible.

Reply #552595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is out because of his rant on SEN Radio that the league should fold, basketball was in crisis etc etc. You better believe Mr Kestelman has a long memory and won't have forgotten it. And of course, there's still some lingering animosity around the whole United/Tigers thing.

Reply #552597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754