Cal Bruton
Years ago

Nate Jawai

Nate Jawai is on the prowl, watch out if you're in the way, listen to the hiss, listen to the growl, Nate Jawai is onnnnnnnn the prowl..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29787158/wildcats-wild-ride-to-the-top/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YE-GQnRpE8

Topic #38172 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

er what has the wildcats rap got to do with a Jawai story in 2015. Odd.

Reply #554391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest, I've never seen this guy in shape. lol tho it never stopped him getting to the NBA and Europe.

That rap tho.... *raises concerned eyebrow*

Reply #554393 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

Lol... no idea, apart from Nate Jawai being onnnnnn da prowl.

Reply #554396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #393 true at this stage he will never be fit and play big minutes. But it was scary while he was out there how no one could stop him.

Reply #554399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much weight to throw around, no one else like him in the league. Beast.

Reply #554403 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Get Kenny/Martin knocking down threes when teams double team Jawai and teams will have to stop double teaming him, then he will be scary.

Reply #554407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too bad they both stink at threes

Reply #554408 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think the fact that they DO (or will) have Martin and Kenny out there with him is one of the big things that is going to limit how dominant he is..

Reply #554411 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, well ... get Wroe and Prather to knock down the threes then :p

Reply #554412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering he was almost unable to walk, he's doing ok for himself.

Reply #554413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Anthony Stewart still around? ;)

Reply #554414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or Ben Thompson? ;) oh wait he used to brick it up so scratch that

Reply #554416 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Back in Tassie last I heard. Pretty sure Trahair is still round though.

Reply #554417 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Jawai would work so well with a Stiendl or Gladden type to kick it too... man is unstoppable in so many ways. Great to see him doing well!

Reply #554418 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

Yeah last I heard, Stewie trying to revive NBL team from Tassie. Hope they revisit that under LK.

Reply #554422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trahair is an assistant with SBL Rockingham.

Reply #554423 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Damian Martin has one of his 50% seasons Jawai will be mighty tough to guard. I think Adelaide went about it wrong though, will be interested to see what the Breakers do.

Reply #554426 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Cant wait to see Nate v Majok

Reply #554431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How else could the 6ers defend Jawai, paul?

Reply #554432 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Can't wait to see Jawai vs Khazzouh, now that will be interesting. Especially how both of those two players defend each other

Reply #554438 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are a lot of different options, but I thought they sent the double too early too often, allowing Nate to pick the rotating defence apart, which he did very well a number of times.

I suspect NZ will make Nate prove he can score one on one first, and then look to disrupt either by denying or sending the double once the ball is on the floor.

Reply #554454 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

So catchy and timeless... "Perth Wildcats are ONNNNN DA PROWL."

Reply #554456 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If they hadnt have doubled him early and often... he literally wouldve dunked in been fouled by or shot over DJ. 6ers did well on him i thought. No other way you can defend him. Just imagine him on uniteds team with a whole bunch of pure shooters yikes!

Reply #554458 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lots of other ways to defend him. Just watch what teams do throughout the season.

Reply #554459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was pleased to see jawai in a ' dominate ' mindset. Had only seen him play for boomers recently and he had been in role player mode as opposed to shaq mode

Reply #554461 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

People talk about him "being out of shape," but it' not like he's carrying a pot gut or bingo wings, he's just a BIG dude.

I'm a little surprised he's playing ball, and not 1st rower in Rugby League, but he's certainly a presence on court.

I watched the game on my phone, which was a bit like watching a ant's nest, so I'm looking forward to seeing him live.

Reply #554462 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Majok will get killed by Jawai. He struggled to handle both Conklin and Ogilvy, what do you think Jawai will do? It's a huge weakness for United.

Reply #554463 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

www.wildcatsviews.com

Reply #554464 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Thanks Luuuc!!!!!!

Reply #554466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has actually looking like he's getting a bit of tone now in that huge frame of his.

Proving himself useful much earlier than I thought he would.

Reply #554473 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Based on what I saw of him with the Boomers I was always hopeful that he'd be useful from game 1. It was how long he could stay on the court that was the main worry, especially when an opponent tried to go into track meet mode, which many will try against our top-heavy lineup I expect.

21 minutes was a more than useful first game from him.

Reply #554478 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Paul c'mon now for conversations sake, please explain what other ways Jawai can be guarded? Im sure other teams will mix it up a bit, but really what else can you do exactly??

Reply #554488 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kobe, Sixers made mistakes on about three plays in a row with weak side players doubling and tripling Jawai, leaving perimeter players free shots (and in one case a back cutting guard an uncontested layup!)

You can't double Jawai if it involves leaving such big defensive gaps elsewhere as he is such a good passer out of the post. His pass is more far more dangerous than his short range game if you can keep yourself between him and the basket.

Gibson had some good examples of good double teams against Jawai, where he was hedging between defenders and Perth's spacing was not good enough to make him commit.

I agree with Paul in that you have to make Jawai prove he can score on you in the post routinely and regularly as his touch from 3-5 feet is suspect (can't let Hire or Knight grab the boards though) and he is prone to getting charge calls if he can't get past you.

Only a couple of Jawai's scores came from genuinely beating his opponent in the low block. As long as those shots are challenged, you would give those up. If he gets around you, well it is goodnight, so you just have to keep a body in front of him.

He presents a unique defensive challenge in this league, but it is far from insurmountable. Teams around the world have been playing against him for years with reasonable success, otherwise he would average 90% shooting every game. The Sixers did a good job at certain times in the game, and lost it entirely at others.

Offensive teams are going to score points, it is just a matter of the defence choosing the lesser evil as to what looks you want them to get off.

Reply #554508 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is actually defensively where Jawai was more damaging last Saturday. Wow did he change a few shots.

Reply #554509 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Isn't it great that we can have so much conversation about an Aussie in the NBL, being one of the more dominant players in our own league :)

Reply #554510 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Triple teaming him is not the good intact its down right suicidal. The RIGHT guy has to come for the double or hedge like Gibbo was able to do, but going solo wouldve meant major foul trouble for DJ... Its up to the coaching staff to have strict rules on who is to help out and when, the multiple times its stuffed up should've been eradicated before it got to 3 times! But the principal is good i believe. Shaw didn't get a lot of single coverage and for good reason. He is too big, he wont need to prove he can shoot as he will be at the line 9 times out of 10. And yeah Bear agreed its refreshing to be able to talk about a Aussie star, lost of things have flipped for this NBL season!

Reply #554516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stupidity was doubling Jawai in the first place, what's he going to do with single coverage?

Reply #554520 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Let's not act like the guy is unstoppable.
I'm looking forward to watching his battle with Pledger. If he plays smart I think he's physically capable of competing with Nate.

Reply #554523 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kobe24, DJ getting major foul trouble - Seriously?

He had two fouls for the game. TWO. One of those was in the first 23 seconds of the game. 30 seconds later, he defended Jawai face up and drew a charge. You don't think he could have afforded to get a few more fouls?

Petrie had 3 fouls. Hodgson was the only Sixer in foul trouble, but I don't recall those fouls having anything to do with Jawai.

Not saying you don't ever double Jawai, of course you do, but you choose your poisons and you mix it up.

We get it, Jawai is a great player, but you are making out like he is the real Shaq in mid 90's form playing in the NBL.

Reply #554524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United v Jawai.

Playsome minutes with Kickert at the 5, Blanchfield at the 4 in a 2-3 zone.

United will give up o boards and get sealed by Jawai although you should be able to force Perth to make outside shots.

On Offense Jawai is left with guarding Kickert in a pick n pop with Holt or Bubbles. Good luck with that.

Reply #554530 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In a small league, the excitement is like steam in a kettle.

Reply #554533 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

I'd love to see Jawai consistently fronted with a tall, agile player. Force the team to consistently pass over the defender to get the ball to him which is THE toughest pass to make.

Of course, for that to work we would need the refs to stop ball watching and call the two-handed pushes.

The other aspect to Nate's 'effectiveness' is his footwork. He won't be nearly so 'effective' if he is not allowed to take three and four steps with the ball - sometimes while running straight through a defender!

Against the 365ERS he was most effective later in the game when he became a ball distributor out of the post, which goes back to my 'fronting' defence suggestion.

Reply #554548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Ennis, Childress, Wilbekin, Warrick, etc in recent years, lets hope its the start to an upward trend, but I agree, league and media needs more promotion of these guys..

The downside of some of these guys is that they'll likely be "one and done" season guys, need some way to retain, esp vets like Childress / Warrick.

The other side is also bringing our best Aussies back to the league. Competition with the Europe league will be tough.

Reply #554551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Sorry wrong thread.

Reply #554552 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Xy you dont think he stayed of foul trouble because of the help defence?? We lose Dj with the way our other go to scorer is thesedays we were toast. 2 early fouls for DJ and if that charge had been called a block or the next time it was then thats game...

Reply #554568 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im just saying don't let him get going make there 'shooters' beat you, best way to do that is get him to move the ball via a double. He has that potential to destroy a man on the post, so best to limit his touches i say...

Reply #554570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Doubling isn't necessarily a bad option, although I'd make him score a few baskets over a defender first, but it's how you double. Watch what Adelaide did at about 4.10 in the final term with Creek arriving late, that is a shot I'm not sure Jawai can hit regularly.

There a lots of other ways to skin the double team cat, a good one is forcing baseline and sending the help defence from that side.

A big issue for Adelaide was they got themselves in rotations guarding the ball screen and then weren't organised enough to cover mismatches in the block.

Reply #554574 | Report this post

Wilbur The Cat  
Years ago

I look forward to see some Black Tornado alley oops Shaq Style from Beal to Jawai..

Reply #554576 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agreed with that Paul, its the type of double team and specifically who and where it comes from at what time spacing wise. Adelaide perhaps panicked a bit and just sent it for the sake of it, but if they had a better strategy it could've been highly effective. My take is the mentality is right to send the double just about every time, but not from anywhere, he isn't that unstoppable, unless he develops a long rang jumper then we are all stuffed at his size haha

Reply #554578 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, if he starts banging triples just post the trophy to Perth!

Having looked at the replay, it was obvious defensive mistakes earlier in the possession which led to the double being ineffective, because the next layer of rotation wasn't where it needed to be.

Definitely interested in seeing how NZ approach it though. Do they start Pledger and go one-on-one coverage?

Reply #554579 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the Boomers , alley oops from Mills to Jawai..-..I was just hoping the ring would stay on.

Reply #554602 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Going to be interesting to watch Nate with the Perth crowd behind him. If he starts to impose himself, the crowd will go off

Reply #554642 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Yes! Basketball is back in Perth!

Oh wait, it never left. ;)

Reply #554643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Adelaide went with a straight aggressive double team approach to effectively dare the weak shooting cats to shoot 3s. Beal and redhage did got some tough ones to blow that strategy up

Reply #554668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way Jawai could get high enough to catch a lob surely

Reply #554669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is too good a passer to triple team him.

Reply #554688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Yes! Basketball is back in Perth!

Oh wait, it never left. ;)'

It was a bit lame last year, mate.

Jawai has me excited again.

Reply #554689 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I think we were just spoilt by Ennis. True, now that we have Jawai, extra excited. Hope Prather heats up too.

Reply #554790 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I always thought the best way to reduce the influence on a guy like Jawai was to attack him offensively and get him into early foul trouble!

Not super sophisticated I know, but could be more effective because I don't think he would be the same on 4 fouls in the last quarter, just saying...

Reply #554792 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

And, while I'm a Nate fan, I'll say it again ... based on what I saw in Adelaide, if he is required to play by the rules of the game, including the footwork rule, he won't be the force people believe he can be. I know he has quick feet, but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to take three and four steps with the ball, even if they're quick steps, or run through defenders.

Reply #554793 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Actually, I noticed that too, the replays showed him to travel quite a bit, but officials turn a blind eye for some players don't they?

#LeBronwalkseverywhere

Reply #554794 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

A lot of travels are uncalled in the NBA.

Stopping the flow of the game and stars not scoring = not exciting. ;)

Reply #554804 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754