Anonymous
Years ago

Matt Burston Intentional Rough play.

So I saw the knockdown by Burston on Randle that Joey is now asking to be reviewed. I agree with Joey. It was an intentional shoulder drop and dangerous and at the time I was not happy either and could not believe that 3 refs again missed it and in the ref review it was overlooked. Last season I picked up on Burstons physicality going beyond reasonable hard play and I believe he is involved increasingly in dirty play. Disappointed as he has much going for him and it isn't doing his team any good with his foul count when they do pick it up. Thoughts ?

Topic #38565 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

basketball is seriously turning into a sport for pansies! If you thinking setting a tough screen is ''intentional rough play' you need to go to spec savers. MATT Burston plays tough, blue collar work basketball. When a player gets hit on a good screen the first thing you need to ask yourself is where was the communication from the other player to warn them. I actually think the foul from walker on Gliddon was rougher! there are plenty of other players in this league who intentionally do things on court and Matt Burston is not one of them. A tough,savvy veteran who plays the game in great sportsmanship!

Reply #567332 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It was clearly a dirty play and should have been called an offensive foul. Vaughan Mayberry had clear view of it and decided to show how bad he is as a referee and not call it.

Reply #567349 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/uploads/images/Burston.jpg

Reply #567350 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

332 - on the court right now and have Burston do the same to you and lets see you not be a pansie as you call it.. Who uses that kind of language anymore. It is clearly outside the rules. End of story. Maybe you need to just stick the MMA if you think intentional dangerous play is where tough people go and leave us pansies to basketball.

Reply #567360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to hardball? If someone can break a jaw with no repercussions then why are we discussing a screen? Surely the bar has been set high with the Conklin hit?

Reply #567363 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If someone has to explain it to anyone then the fact they didn't get it means there is no point explaining it. Burtson fouled. It was hard and dangerous and intentional. He should be warned and not do it again and if he does he should wear the consequences. Simple. Conklins first elbow was hard but debatable if intent was to hit someone or protect the ball and swing with Hire over one of his shoulder who actually should have got a foul and the whole thing would have not got as far as it did, then Damo runs in hards as Conklin swings and cops it due to the height of elbow and Damos face unfortunately being the same. But the 2nd with Creek was hard elbow and swinging but this time outside of his personal cylinder which is the key issue, flailng and hard so warranted a penalty and warning of further incidents meaning further penalties. Obvious really and didn't look like it was an I'm going to hit Creeky or whoever behind me but that would be the same result every time int he future if this continues so fair call. Too risky not to force Conklin to reign it in and now Burston and anyone who is a repeat offender needs to have fair warning. Teys took a gamble to jump and made a poor choice the other week too but he is a clean player who knew that he had done the wrong thing and hasn't had a history of this nor likely int he future and he too should be warned if he does, again so should all players. Hard ball does not mean MMA and Wrestling enters this game and if that is what you think should happen then it will no longer be basketball and you need to look at MMA or AFL or where it is within the rules to bump and so on within the boundaries of the rules and if they go beyond those, boom a review and consequences. Whats the diff just diff rules for each game.

Reply #567366 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Seriously ADL, your team comes away with a win and you still find a reason to complain.

Burston probably leant down because he thought he was going to cop a low blow, it's just in your nature to defend yourself down there.

Reply #567380 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Spot on Sting.

What a pile of ****.... seriously...... After all the calls that 36ers got and the win... still they complain...... my god.....

Reply #567410 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I havent seen the play but from that photo is looks like he is trying to protect the 'mid area' rather than dropping a shoulder

Reply #567415 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Adelaide is well within its rights to make a complaint if it believes it was on the receiving end of dirty play. And by the look of the vision there could be a case to answer.

And Cairns fans whinging about refs - well there's something new!!

Reply #567479 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

You are joking even bringing this up! The guy is 4" taller than a garden gnome. It's called a screen? Man up you sooks!

Reply #567598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks bad because Randle is tiny. Move on people!

Reply #567600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754