Anonymous
Years ago

What can NBL learn from BBL?

The Big Bash League is killing it right now. BBL is everywhere I turn. The papers and news are eating it up to. For a Comp that came from humble beginnings or at least a lean first year, what can the NBL learn from it?

Topic #38785 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Need more West Indians in the NBL. They're great for publicity?

Reply #572822 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Just need more ads and promotions on free to air / cereal boxes / Woolworths cards?.. and the odd controversy or few..

Reply #572823 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Isn't the Champions League looking to be the basketball version of the BBL?

With the NBL really improving this season and looking to continue too re-establish itself, is the Champions League still going to happen?

Reply #572824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the champions league an American League for ex nba players?

Reply #572827 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That cricket is infinitely more popular than basketball in Australia?

Reply #572828 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Champions League is an initiative that was in the media about 6 months ago with a group from Melbourne looking to start a new league.

Since then another league (no relationship from what I know) has been started in the US where they are targeting ex NBA players.

Reply #572830 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Well now that the NBL is on Fox and not Channel 10 the league is looking in much better shape. This has been the best season from the NBL for a long time now and its starting to be more competitive in the media.

As for the BBL's success, well it would have been nice if Channel 10 gave the NBL a fraction of the attention it gives the BBL when they had the coverage.

And cricket is also miles more popular than basketball in Australia even though I don't agree personally.

Reply #572838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket is boring

Reply #572840 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Also an official big naming rights sponsor for the league ala, KFC BBL. KFC and cricket just makes sense...

I'm sure LK and team are working on that one.

Reply #572841 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

The BBL is a made for TV sport entertainment package that in cashing in on our traditional love of cricket in summer. Its a 6 week realisty TV show which, becaue it only runs for a short time can access a few internationals and because of its format can use "oldies" to maintain a connection with real / tradional cricket.
BBL is give us the razzle dazzle that we got form the NBL 20 odd years ago.
The media are pushing it as a legit comp because it helps fill papers and tv timeslots and the public are buying it at the moment.
At least this year the NBL is fighting back. But the big difference if FTA v Pay tv. The BBL feels like its everywhere to those out Foxtel ( which is most of the population). Those of us watching live NBL everynight feel like the NBL is everywhere.... until we look outside our own lounge rooms.

Reply #572842 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Honestly I can't see the new Champions League in Australia getting very far.

The NBL just has to focus on continuing the momentum that we currently have. A successful implementation of a team in Brisbane is important. The league also has to continue to bring in high quality imports with a reputation because the media loves that ie the 90 million dollar man (Harrington).

Reply #572845 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Chris Gayle!

Reply #572847 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

To answer the OP, nothing.
Cricket has always been the "number one sport" In Australia, but few people have the time or patience to attend Test matches. It's a game made for radio.
BBL has bastardised Cricket into a fast flashy format, that fits better into the modern world.

NBL has always had the fast flashy format, it just doesn't have the historic mass appeal.

Reply #572852 | Report this post

Mat Whitehead  
Years ago

BBL have taken punitive action against a player who speaks a lot of self-serving shit and doesn't care if people don't like it.

The NBL would give that player a commentary gig where his co-commentator would have to mention his name every 45 seconds.

Reply #572860 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Dump any government funding and target a big alcohol sponsor along with Coca Cola and a fast food "restaurant". Get those major dollars and then dump more money into quality promotion that saturates the market.

If the BBL has an advert for its Adelaide team in a full page, then in the page next to it do a full page spread for the 6ers. Piggy back the shit out of anything and everything popular and getting attention. Soon enough people will begin to think associate them together.

That's a good start

Reply #572862 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the nbl could learn how to play cricket from bbl

Reply #572866 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Whilst BBL does pull in a few stars on short contracts, and a few vets who can't handle the big games any more, it still has the domestic competition to draw upon. Furthermore the best of our players get contracts, play domestic, and even international cricket.
However as it is the NBL struggles to provide enough employment to local players.

Reply #572868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need more beautiful classy sideline reporters like Mel McLaughlin and not laughable hacks like Dan Ewing.

Reply #572871 | Report this post

What's wrong with Ewing? He's one of the few people with a microphone who can string a sentence together.

Reply #572874 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wonder what affect BBL is having (and is going to continue to have) on crowds to other forms of cricket, though? Having a poor side like the West Indies down here over summer probably doesn't help, either. BBL is probably the best chance the sport has to remain relevant, but if there's ever a stretch where Australia sucked for a couple of years, I do wonder what would happen to the crowds...

Personally, I can watch the odd couple of innings of a test or one-dayer, although usually I have it on as background noise. I find BBL ridiculous, about as exciting as a home-run derby, or almost even the NBA all-star game.

Reply #572875 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's wrong with Ewing? He's one of the few people with a microphone who can string a sentence together.
He comes across too much like a reality TV show host, rather than a reporter.

Reply #572887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apples and Oranges no comparison in any way.

Reply #572893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not looking for comparisons. Looking for strategies that Nbl could use that have benefited BBL e.g marketing, sponsorship etc.

Would be interested to see if/how much the financials for BBL have improved.

Reply #572898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know if they can learn much, but if I see someone eating a whole watermelon at an NBL game I will be turning off #banwatermelons

Reply #572913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754